Herf AI suggestions

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Time for suggestions on a AI bull. I have a 5 year old scurred cow, weak udder, decent milk. But I want to improve udder and milk and get back to Polled lines. She is pretty good other than the udder and milk. She throws a decent calf but not the top of the herd. I like her because she is the most sensable cow I have, first through the gates and all will follow, she stays for now.

Any suggestions?
Alan

I would go with DR World Class 517 10H. His dam was teh best uddered cow I think I have ever seen and is sired by SBR Marathon Man 257T. 10H, also is a very slick polled hereford bull, with no horned influence in his pedigree, unless you go back in his pedigree for abotu 50 years. 10H is well pigmented around both eyes and his scrotal is well pigmeneted as well. Without a doubt, I would go with 10H without a doubt and not question in mind. I have seen this bull ever since he was born and sold to Gildemasters and Dobuois in South Dakota. He is a top notch sire and is a claving ease bull and works well on heifers. Take care and hope this helps you in your search for a sire. :cboy:

Alan,

Some of the prettier udders Iv'e seen came out of daughters of Feltons Sounder 912. He has one son out there (Feltons Justice) and a paternal half brother (Feltons Sounder 957..who is a trait leader) which have available semen. The Mohican Prime Up bull puts allot of good bulls in one package, but he is not proven. He has the advantage of 46B in his line for udder quality, which would also include P606 if you are not afraid of bigger calves with some extra white. NS Lakes Kilo has quite a few progeny now which based on some of the yearling females Iv'e seen looks to be doing something right. There is also a Bar JZ Echo bull who is uproven too, but with 8E and the Bar JZ breeding I would suspect good udder quality. Then there is the JDB Stewart bull who is also a trait leader. Almost forgot to mention Braxton Giant 1. Vindicator is good too.

I know I talk about SHF farms, but check out SHF marshall. He throws one of the best looking udders into his females I have seen. And it is consistant which is the great thing. He has great growth, but a 5.3 53 96. The females that we have are all good growing thick calves that have so far came easy and have extreme vigor.

I've heard Wrangler 19D is good for udders.

Look into his sire 832W as well.

certherfbeef":5joru6o1 said:

Cert, 832W semen is not for sale anymore, probably isn't any out there for sale. I had two units on him, but sold them to Olson Hereford Ranch, ND. 19D is a good bull, sires great uddered daugthers. Take care. :cboy:

Hill Creek Farm":ua8e0fh9 said:
certherfbeef":ua8e0fh9 said:

Cert, 832W semen is not for sale anymore, probably isn't any out there for sale. I had two units on him, but sold them to Olson Hereford Ranch, ND. 19D is a good bull, sires great uddered daugthers. Take care. :cboy:

Someone talked earlier about how fast you work......must have not been much hay to bale today huh? Left out at 9:00 or so and you're already back?????

certherfbeef":c07vorid said:

I agree, but he wanted to get away from horned or scurs and 19D is scurred.

1848":m76gdcuf said:
certherfbeef":m76gdcuf said:

Why do you say he's scurred? I don't remember any scurs. He's out of a horned cow but as I remember the bull is sharp headed.

ollie'":d99rvvup said:
1848":d99rvvup said:
certherfbeef":d99rvvup said:

Why do you say he's scurred? I don't remember any scurs. He's out of a horned cow but as I remember the bull is sharp headed.

Probably removed or hidden by hair.

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 252127212D

Don't know about the Herfs.............

but if the scurs are clipped on a Charolais, he must be designated "Dehorned".

I think this is the way it should be.

MikeC":3w13giuu said:

Can't remove scure in Herefords if they are to be shown. Either leave them on or show them in the horned class.

Makes me wonder how 19D showed polled. They must have been present...surely he wasn't shown with them removed..! :eek:

1848":2lti4fn2 said:
MikeC":2lti4fn2 said:

Can't remove scure in Herefords if they are to be shown. Either leave them on or show them in the horned class.

Makes me wonder how 19D showed polled. They must have been present...surely he wasn't shown with them removed..! :eek:
You can either show a scurred bull polled or horned. Take care. :cboy:

Hill Creek Farm":26r88evx said:
certherfbeef":26r88evx said:

Cert, 832W semen is not for sale anymore, probably isn't any out there for sale.

I didn't realize that. I better be more careful next time I dig one out of the tank then.

1848":1vczy2wl said:
MikeC":1vczy2wl said:

1848, a scurred animal is shown in the polled class, (for the shows that still divide them), and if you want to remove them just have a field guy make the call on whether they are horns or scurs. After the field man makes the official call you can remove them or not, and show them as horned or polled, whatever the field man decides they are.

Hill Creek Farm":p18fziyz said:
1848":p18fziyz said:
MikeC":p18fziyz said:

You can either show a scurred bull polled or horned. Take care. :cboy:

Isn't that what I just said?

Chris H":29nvn4al said:
1848":29nvn4al said:
MikeC":29nvn4al said:

1848, a scurred animal is shown in the polled class, (for the shows that still divide them), and if you want to remove them just have a field guy make the call on whether they are horns or scurs. After the field man makes the official call you can remove them or not, and show them as horned or polled, whatever the field man decides they are.

Can't remove them if you want to show "polled" with a scurred animal. It's either leave the scurs in place and show both, or remove them and show horned only.

1848":1jjipw6q said:
Chris H":1jjipw6q said:
1848":1jjipw6q said:
MikeC":1jjipw6q said:

Can't remove them if you want to show "polled" with a scurred animal. It's either leave the scurs in place and show both, or remove them and show horned only.

That's not my understanding or experience. We had a scurred heifer we wanted to show. We had John Meents check her, write on the papers she was scurred, then we were allowed to remove the scurs and show her in the polled classes.

Chris H":32a8z6jk said:
That's not my understanding or experience. We had a scurred heifer we wanted to show. We had John Meents check her, write on the papers she was scurred, then we were allowed to remove the scurs and show her in the polled classes.

Rule #4 in the Junior National Show regulations from the AHA web site:

"Horned or dehorned animals are eligible for the Horned owned breeding show; polled cattle or cattle with scurs are eligible for the polled owned breeding show. Horned and polled bulls will be shown together in one show. Horned and polled cow-calf pairs, steers, and bred-and-owned heifers will show together in their respective shows. Scurs, if present, must be loose and not firmly attached to the head; they must not be removed or tampered with."

Most shows I have seen for the breed abide by these same standards, so as to stay uniform...and they will allow the animal with scurs to either show horned or polled as long as the scurs have not been tampered with. If they have been removed then they are eligible for the horned shows only.

Latest posts