Here's a snake for you Inyati.

Help Support CattleToday:

If there was just a little view of the side of the head. That would show if it is white, bright (reddish or orange). Do you remember any belly color? Not showing that, I will go with Black Pine Snake. Indigo Snake is rare. But it has some of the features. I still believe the Black Pine Snake. Indigo is supper bright. Book says "Lustrous". These scales are just down the scale from Lustrous. More like the black rat snake scale.

It could be an Indigo. I notice there is no mottled brown which should be there on a Pine snake. Wish we had a look at the side of the head.
2liwju0.png

inyati13":2ithuolv said:
If there was just a little view of the side of the head. That would show if it is white, bright (reddish or orange). Do you remember any belly color? Not showing that, I will go with Black Pine Snake. Indigo Snake is rare. But it has some of the features. I still believe the Black Pine Snake. Indigo is supper bright. Book says "Lustrous". These scales are just down the scale from Lustrous. More like the black rat snake scale.

It could be an Indigo. I notice there is no mottled brown which should be there on a Pine snake.

Alan was right. It's for sure an Indigo. They say it's one of our most endangered snakes but I see them every summer. I live in perfect habitat for them and have never seen one over 5 miles from my house. They live in the longleaf pine forest same as the diamondbacks. This is a small one. Only about 4 foot. I've seen them over 7 foot.

Deepsouth":1daq20i1 said:
inyati13":1daq20i1 said:

It could be an Indigo. I notice there is no mottled brown which should be there on a Pine snake.

Alan was right. It's for sure an Indigo. They say it's one of our most endangered snakes but I see them every summer. I live in perfect habitat for them and have never seen one over 5 miles from my house. They live in the longleaf pine forest same as the diamondbacks. This is a small one. Only about 4 foot. I've seen them over 7 foot.

They are rare. They can get up to about 8 feet. Our biggest snake.

BTW: You are in the territory and habitat for the Pine Snake (also sometimes called the Pine Gopher snake). Genus Pituophis.

They are related to the western Gopher or Bull snakes. In fact, they get up to 100 inches so right in the size range with the Indigo. Watch for them. They look similar but not the bright lustrous "indigo" shine.

inyati13":aa9ge3kl said:
Deepsouth":aa9ge3kl said:
inyati13":aa9ge3kl said:

They are rare. They can get up to about 8 feet. Our biggest snake.

Yeah, I couldn't believe Alan even knew what it was and he really surprised me when he called it a pet store snake. After while I'll post a picture of today's snake sighting.

Okay, my pet store days was back in the mid to late 70's. That's where I saw my first indigo. I was in my late teens and early 20's then. I have been bit by a 6 ft retic python and many small ones. Retics are evil, angry snakes! :D Boa's are decent, handled plenty of Columbia boa's. Rosey's, ball pythons, ect. I have never seen or handled an anaconda though. In the 70's indigo's were pet store/collecter snakes, don't know about now.

Latest posts