Here's a snake for you Inyati.

Help Support CattleToday:

Deepsouth

Reaction score
where the Mason-Dixon line is considered the far n
She's a big one! Close to five foot or maybe longer and heavy. Thirteen or fourteen rattlers.

DSC_0322.jpg

DSC_0306.jpg

And she lived!
But I did move her out of my yard to a safe location on the national forest.

DSC_0324.jpg

DSC_0328.jpg

Good snake she has ate a lot of rodents. I came home from work one day and about a 6 1/2 ' canebrake rattler was dead in my front yard.
I found out that the state road cutters had killed it. I have lived in this area since I was 6, and I had never seen one. DS do you live close
to Camp Shelby? I hear that there are a lot of diamondbacks there.

Don McCallum":3s9guaq0 said:
Good snake she has ate a lot of rodents. I came home from work one day and about a 6 1/2 ' canebrake rattler was dead in my front yard.
I found out that the state road cutters had killed it. I have lived in this area since I was 6, and I had never seen one. DS do you live close
to Camp Shelby? I hear that there are a lot of diamondbacks there.

Camp Shelby rattles my windows when they're bombing. I'm in northeast Stone county. In the DeSoto National forest.

Wow. That is as good as it gets. Deepsouth, I need to visit you and go on a snake safari. :D :D :D

Serious, are you calling her a she or did you sex her? There is a way to do that. Look at the the tail. Males have a very unique penis. Called a hemipenes. It has spurs so the snakes stay in copulation with out coming apart until the job is done. The most fool proof way is to probe for the hemepenes in the cloaca. Snakes have one opening not two like mammals.

A general but not foolproof way is to develop an eye for the length and shape of the tail. The part of the snake from the cloaca to the tip. Males are generally shorter and thicker.

Deep the only snake I can tolerate is non poisonous ones that snake would have been headless and shown in 2 pics one of the body and one of the head in a different location after it was blown off.

I counted 13 and a button. I have done the same and relocated them If I am not surprise by one and Can safely catch it.
I have 2 stores close to me that buy them 2$ a ft. 3' minimum

M5farm":1mrt3pfg said:
I counted 13 and a button. I have done the same and relocated them If I am not surprise by one and Can safely catch it.

I would pay more than that to watch them get ran over by a paving roller.

skyhightree1":1i3dj8kw said:
M5farm":1i3dj8kw said:

I could catch min 10 day in the piney wood around here. heck if times get tough I cold pay the bills with it. We got a 40 acre block that I couldn't even began to tell you how many gopher holes it has in it.

M5farm":3j3a4d9i said:
skyhightree1":3j3a4d9i said:
M5farm":3j3a4d9i said:

I could catch min 10 day in the piney wood around here. heck if times get tough I cold pay the bills with it. We got a 40 acre block that I couldn't even began to tell you how many gopher holes it has in it.

I had not idea that it was that much money in collecting snakes. I know they used the skins for boots and such but what other use are them if any?

I don't know, skins, meat and the live ones are probably used for milking. Inyati will probably shed some light on it.

M5farm":1ey73ixf said:
I don't know, skins, meat and the live ones are probably used for milking. Inyati will probably shed some light on it.

Yes. Probably less for milking unless you are close to an institution and can deliver snakes in good health. But lots of items of wear are made from snake skin and the meat is very good. Tastes more like frog legs or turtle to me than chicken. :D

inyati13":35580ghv said:
Wow. That is as good as it gets. Deepsouth, I need to visit you and go on a snake safari. :D :D :D

Serious, are you calling her a she or did you sex her? There is a way to do that. Look at the the tail. Males have a very unique penis. Called a hemipenes. It has spurs so the snakes stay in copulation with out coming apart until the job is done. The most fool proof way is to probe for the hemepenes in the cloaca. Snakes have one opening not two like mammals.

A general but not foolproof way is to develop an eye for the length and shape of the tail. The part of the snake from the cloaca to the tip. Males are generally shorter and thicker.

No I'm not certain it was a female. For some reason I always think of the big ones as female. These pictures don't do this snake justice. This was a really big snake.
Ron, I've got some picture's of a really nice snake I want you to see but I can't get photobucket to load it for some reason. I'll keep trying.

skyhightree1":mtank0cu said:
Deep the only snake I can tolerate is non poisonous ones that snake would have been headless and shown in 2 pics one of the body and one of the head in a different location after it was blown off.

Sky, these big diamondbacks are really not aggressive. I had to fool with this one a lot to get it to coil and rattle so I could take pictures. Like M5 I also have to kill them sometimes but not often. I do not discriminate with cottonmouths though, I kill them all.

Deepsouth":pejl6i45 said:
skyhightree1":pejl6i45 said:

Sky, these big diamondbacks are really not aggressive. I had to fool with this one a lot to get it to coil and rattle so I could take pictures. Like M5 I also have to kill them sometimes but not often. I do not discriminate with cottonmouths though, I kill them all.

lol my 20 gauge could show that thing a disappearing trick

Deepsouth":1a5704u3 said:
I found this crawling down the ditch beside the cow pasture today.

I will not be coming to visit you DS too many crazy animals there atleast I have semi normal ones black bears they run from you lol

Deepsouth":353xru6s said:
inyati13":353xru6s said:

No I'm not certain it was a female. For some reason I always think of the big ones as female. These pictures don't do this snake justice. This was a really big snake.
Ron, I've got some picture's of a really nice snake I want you to see but I can't get photobucket to load it for some reason. I'll keep trying.

Deepsouth, I think this is a male. The tail portion tells me. I could see it was large. Do you see a lot of snakes?

It depends on what you mean by a lot of snakes. I'm certainly not surprised to see one at any time or just about anywhere but it's not like there's one under every bush either. I work in the woods and can go for days without seeing one but that may be because I'm not looking for them. I see more snakes crossing the road while I'm driving than I do when I'm in the woods. I live in prime eastern diamondback habitat though. Like M5 said lot's of gopher tortoise dens around here. The diamondbacks winter in these dens.

I finally got my photobucket working. So here's you one to identify.

I have even handled a few of those in Oregon, pet store stuff in my youth. I believe it is an indigo.