Herefords cancer eye...when?

Help Support CattleToday:

Arkieman":1yumsocu said:
This thread has given me a new product idea for all Hereford owners......

I just need a name????

Hereford.jpg
Sorry. That is not new. My uncle used, and others, used shoe polish back in the 50's. The other common treatment was to fill a syringe with kerosene and squirt it in the eye. Kerosene was used as a topical for treating most everything.

That's another of my posts that is gone.
Alan we have noticed that in our cows the age is 8-10 years that have developed cancer eye.
Looking back in their history there is no cancer eye in the cow's side, so we are looking at the bulls side now.

We have a cow with cancer eye in the corral right now. She has it on both eyes and the vet removed a tumor from her third eye lid. If it had been on just one eye he would have removed it. She is 7 1/2 months bred. :frowns:

My family has raised herefords and my wife family has raise simmentals. From what I understand when talking to the grandpa's is it has a lot to do with bald faces. This is just what the old timers say. I can remember taking cows to the sale with my dad and last year we took two of my wife simmentals to the sale because of cancer eye. In both cases the cows were 13 plus years of age.

I had Hereford 20 years ago that developed cancer eye at about 10. Took her to A & M and they cut it out. She lived to the ripe old age of 14 or so, then had to be put down because of a bad stiffle.

I have a Fleck influence Simmental cow, baldie and white pigmented eyes that is starting out with a very small spot on her eye. She's going to the auction barn in the next 30 days.

Definately the white face / white pigment around the eyes has some impact.

We have gotten bulls with more pigment around their eyes. It has helped concerning the skin cancer they would get just on the outside of the eye. The only thing is we have lost the white on their shoulders. Got quite a few that have the eye pigment and the white though.
It's just something we hate to see.

Our newest calf - definitely not a candidate for eye cancer!! Look at those black rings around her eyes. Heifer born yesterday..

DSC_0003a.JPG

Arkieman":3eew0ubp said:
Our newest calf - definitely not a candidate for eye cancer!! Look at those black rings around her eyes. Heifer born yesterday..

DSC_0003a.JPG

Don't let that fool you I have seen cancer eye in almost ever breed, just like pink eye.
Just like the old cow in the pasture now and she is old enough to vote.

Seen it dozens of times. 99% in bald face cattle. Saw 2 cases of it today in a bunch we marked and branded. 1 was about the nastiest I've ever seen. Smelled her coming when she was still in the back of the pens.

Moline_Christmas_034.jpg

FINALLY!!!!!
This is the cow with cancer eye.
You can see it right on her eye. I tried to get a pic of her other eye, but she kept moving her head. It is a little fuzzy, but you can see it if you look closely.

We've had cancer eye in our tradional colored Simmentals. I believe it was genetic because the daughters from the first cow also got the cancer eye. They were less than 10 years old.

She is 8 years old. 8 months bred. :frowns:
No history in her dams line of cancer. I looked clear back into the 70's.
We have 4 others who's dams had cancer eye, but no sign in any of them. They are on the watch list.

Latest posts