Herefords cancer eye...when?

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Just browsing some post and I saw again the mention of cancer eye in the tone that it is synonymous with Herefords. I have never had or seen or spoke with anyone who had a case or heard of a recent case of cancer eye in Herefords.

Just curious if anyone here has dealt with it first hand or knows someone first hand that has dealt with cancer eye (not a " a friend of a friend told me"). If so, how long ago was the case.

Thanks,
Alan

Alan":2ti10tcs said:
Just browsing some post and I saw again the mention of cancer eye in the tone that it is synonymous with Herefords. I have never had or seen or spoke with anyone who had a case or heard of a recent case of cancer eye in Herefords.

Just curious if anyone here has dealt with it first hand or knows someone first hand that has dealt with cancer eye (not a " a friend of a friend told me"). If so, how long ago was the case.

Thanks,
Alan

I have the first case I have had in 10 or 15 years but it is not on a Hereford. It is on an old crossbred cow that is old enough to vote.

had two braford full sisters that had more hereford coloration than tigers the younger had no pigment around the eyes and i cut a small mass off her third eyelid as nine year old. her sister will be 18 this spring has good pigment and no problems.... course this was my experiance

:x We seem to have a gene in our herd that has periodically produced cancer eye in our
herefords. We have one every year, just buried one last week. I have been able to catch
several in the very early stages and the vet is able to remove the spot and freeze the area
with good prognosis. When I eyeball the herd it takes on a whole new meaning! :nod:

yes a hereford is pretty bad to get cancer eye.but that doesnt mean they will have more cases of cancer eye than any other breed.

THey get cancer or some thing like that with the Herford Cattle here all the time. I was told it has to do with the white around the eyes and the sun.
Dogs can do it too. ALot of the Catahoula/ Leopard dogs will have glass eyes and they are real bad about it,,, even bulldogs with alot of white around eyes are suppose to be kept out of the sun as much as possible.

bigbull338":84hs5hen said:
yes a hereford is pretty bad to get cancer eye.but that doesnt mean they will have more cases of cancer eye than any other breed.
never seen cancer eye in brahman.. seen about every dam thing else :p but not cancer eye

well i do know that beefmasters have less cases of pinkeye.an thats if their faces are solid red or black.

The most recent case we've had was about 18 months ago in a herfx cow. Cut it out and she's doing fine. I've owned her since 1995 and she came with a calf then, so she's no spring chicken.

cfpinz

Sounds like cancer eye is occuring is mostly senior cows, is this pretty standard?

Thanks,
Alan

It has to do with the sun reflecting off of white (non-pigmented hair)... its why people wear sun glasses in the snow, football players use to put black lines under their eyes, ect... It makes the damage the sun can do more intense. Cattle with non-pigmented hair around the eyes are more likely to get cancer because of that.

I have seen exactly one case of cancer eye. Registered blk Angus cow around 10-11 years old.

ALACOWMAN":f3ve7xwd said:
bigbull338":f3ve7xwd said:
never seen cancer eye in brahman.. seen about every dam thing else :p but not cancer eye

It also has to do with how recessed the eye is in the animals head. It like when you look as a brahma and it looks like they are squinting (or mad :lol2: ),,, like you look when you go out into the sun with out sun glasses. Natures way of taking care of the animals who will be in the sun alot. ALot of them even have the dark black right around the eye, that also helps.

Look at a herford,,, eyes sticking out with white. Not meant to be in the direct sun. They even talk about breeders should cull Hereford cattle with white (no-pigment) eye lashes,,, especially the bottom one to help prevent some of it.

Alan":1rechayf said:
Sounds like cancer eye is occuring is mostly senior cows, is this pretty standard?

Thanks,
Alan
older from around 8+ average age. but im sure there is some younger but those might be with the bloodlines that are prone to it.

Since I have brahmans now I don't see any. I do not recall hearing anyone bringing it up around here either.
Back in the 60's I worked for a vet and we had about one per month. Generally on cows over 6 or 8 years old.
Makes me wonder if a lot of those cattle were just sold off, selling off the genetics going to slaughter with them.

novatech":38sxwmbc said:
Since I have brahmans now I don't see any. I do not recall hearing anyone bringing it up around here either.
Back in the 60's I worked for a vet and we had about one per month. Generally on cows over 6 or 8 years old.
Makes me wonder if a lot of those cattle were just sold off, selling off the genetics going to slaughter with them.

The one I have now with it is a Brimmer cross and the good Lord knows what else, this is a first for me to see it with the Brammer influence. She is scheduled for a bullet.

This thread has given me a new product idea for all Hereford owners......

I just need a name????

Hereford.jpg

dyates":lrjvtx53 said:
Arkieman":lrjvtx53 said:
This thread has given me a new product idea for all Hereford owners......

I just need a name????

Somebody already has it....."Maybeline" :lol2:

Or especially for Caustic - May"Belle"ine :lol:

Latest posts