hereford

Help Support CattleToday:

regenwether

Reaction score
I just got a catalog from Spencer Herefords. I'm the first to admit I'm not all up on the lingo. On a few of the bulls there was a description "100% eye pigmentation" or "red eyed bull". What does that mean? When using these bulls on straight Angus cows to get black baldies what should I expect as far as markings?? Thanks!!

red eyed bull and 100% eye pigment refers to the same trait. The specific bull has full pigment around both eyes or in other words the eyelids are brown instead of pink.

The markings out of these bulls when used on angus cows should be the typical black baldie with a few brockle faces thrown in for good measure.

in hereford cattle being ringed eyed cuts down on 2 things.those things are pinkeye an cancer eye.so being ring eyed is a goodthing.

regenwether":ftya6r9y said:
Will those type of cattle have less face fly probelms??

In theory the pigmented eye will get less irritated by the sun so there should, in theory, be less tears for flies and gnats to feed on. Flies and gnats are vectors carrying the Moraxella Bovis bacteria causing pink eye in cattle.

In practice there are many more factors that play a role.

have a look at this thread
http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic. ... e17c10140d

I would say that fully pigmented means just that, the skin around the eye carries pigmentation. A red eyed bull, to me, is more of a bull with actual red color around the eye (like goggles) not just pigmentation on the skin.

meaning a bull can be fully pigmented in both eyes and only red eyed in one

bigbull338":1o14ni2h said:
in hereford cattle being ringed eyed cuts down on 2 things.those things are pinkeye an cancer eye.so being ring eyed is a goodthing.

Ring eyes/coon eyed, etc. isn;t the same thing as pigmented eyes. While very rarely will one with coon eyes not have pigment, they don;t have to have dark hair to have pigment. It's the pigmentation, not the hair that makes the difference

Latest posts