Hereford Heifer Photos

Help Support CattleToday:

jhambley

Reaction score
Thought I'd get your thoughts on these heifers. They are about 15 months old. They are both by of the bull shown below.

20R
1r.jpg

20R
1rback.jpg

1R
20r.jpg

35L
photo5.jpg

Not bad cattle, you could get some market topping black baldy calfs out of them 8)

Those heifers sure do have the hair, for summertime :eek:

mnmt

Bez?":af8hv6e9 said:
Looks like you cut the horn tips off?

Too bad if so - they would have been even nicer trained down.

Good looking animals.

Bez?

That is the "other" way of training horns to grow downward. When you tip them at that angle, they will curve downward as they regrow. I do my bulls that way.

Good looking cattle, though. Love them Herefords.

Kent":lewgo4n9 said:
Bez?":lewgo4n9 said:

Good looking animals.

Bez?

That is the "other" way of training horns to grow downward. When you tip them at that angle, they will curve downward as they regrow. I do my bulls that way.

ive heard that too to cut them at a angle

Thank you for your comments. The heifer photos were taken several month ago up close to Nebraska...that accounts for the hair. They call it "sloping" the horns here. I have to admit that I like the "weighted" horn look better.

The rancher I bought them from is letting me use one of their heifer bulls this year and gave me free grass for the summer. These heifers have never received anything but grass. I'll be hauling them home the first of September.

Jerry

Kent":32zr1lps said:
Bez?":32zr1lps said:

Good looking animals.

Bez?

Sorry - I did not really notice they had been tipped - I figured they were just cut off square. I prefer weights myself.

Still think your animals are good looking - typical Herfs - getting fat on grass and growing good hair.

Regards,

Bez?

I looked at them again and I really like them, especially the top heifer. Of course, they are at that age where the back end is a little taller than the front end, but look at that level rump and the length from hooks to pins on a 15 month old heifer. Very nice. Got a trailer load of them you'd sell? :cboy:

Kent,

I just bought a few heifers from them a few months ago. Since then, they have decided to retire and this entire herd is being dispersed by private treaty (79 pairs plus all the herd bulls). I saw they placed their first advertisment in The Stockman Grass Farmer I received yesterday. They're located in northwest Kansas and these cattle get no grain. Send me a private message if you are interested and I'll send you their contact info.

A shot of the half sister to 1R I bought:
20rprofile.jpg

Another one of their herd bulls:
grassh2.jpg

Jerry

jhambley":2frnikas said:
Another one of their herd bulls:
grassh2.jpg

Jerry

looks like a blimp...paint him grey and i'd mistake him for a hippo...I personally dont like bulls like that...they get too lazy and too fat to get out and chase the cows around come breeding time

jhambley":2xawf4l6 said:
Here is another angle. I don't think he is fat. He just has lots of capacity.

grassh1.jpg

Well, I do not agree with you. But I also do not think it inhibits his abilities.

This simply shows there are animals that can live on grass, breed cows and still maintain their condition.

I would bet some of his offspring will be keepers.

One trait I like about Herfs is their ability to survive in their working clothes and still get "ready for winter".

There are a lot of herds out there that could use this bull. This guy does it for me.

Bez?

Bez,

Here is a photo of him coming out of the winter taken just a few months before the photo shown previously. He was gazing pasture forage only all winter.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Jerry

grass3.jpg

Latest posts