hereford bull to pick on

Help Support CattleToday:

herfdog

Reaction score
I have a 10 month old Feltons 517 bull calf that I think is coming along real well. I was wondering what others think of him. thanks

Registration # 43070725
BW - 99
ADJ 205- 672
2011_01181-18-20110083.jpg

2011_01181-18-20110080.jpg

2011_01181-18-20110079.jpg

DAM
2011_01181-18-20110063.jpg

Always like the Feltons 517's great maternal cows with the right bull on them.
The right bull is in the eye of the beholder. I always prefered a Star Lineman/Braxton or Star Lineman/Vindicator on those cows.
The little bull looks good no major flaws. :2cents:

Like that he appears to be fully pigmented. Haven't seen my 517 as he was alittle before my time in really keeping up with cattle but he seems to be a prospect. Do you have a picture with your cow lactating? jw

Baldie Maker":3camv4k0 said:
Like that he appears to be fully pigmented. Haven't seen my 517 as he was alittle before my time in really keeping up with cattle but he seems to be a prospect. Do you have a picture with your cow lactating? jw

looks like my pics got cut off a little bit. I do have some lactating pics I will post later this afternoon.
the dams udder is not perfect but I hope that the 517 in the bull calf will fix it some on any hiefer calves he may have.

Before you post them make them 700 pixels (or soO wide and the whole picture will show

We used 517 on heifers several years ago, bulls did well on black cows as they added some thickness and muscle on the baldies,also made some fancy balby heifers. Havent had anything to complain about as the daughters here are just average.

Kingfisher":20x9ug1w said:
The bull looks kind of feminine to me........maybe he is just hungry?

I have 3 bulls that I am feeding they are not pushed vary hard. They are around 800 lbs I am guessing. They get 10.6# grain mix (9# cracked corn 1.6# full energy soybean) each per day.
And they eat around 25# dry hay. That's around 1.3 percent of body weight in grain.
Last year's bulls gained 3.4 # per day off this ration.

herfdog":2iptzhl8 said:
Kingfisher":2iptzhl8 said:

I have 3 bulls that I am feeding they are not pushed vary hard. They are around 800 lbs I am guessing. They get 10.6# grain mix (9# cracked corn 1.6# full energy soybean) each per day.
And they eat around 25# dry hay. That's around 1.3 percent of body weight in grain.

If he weighs 800 at 10 months and his 205 ww was 672 that means he is only gaining 1.35 # a day.

Jovid":228o349d said:
herfdog":228o349d said:
Kingfisher":228o349d said:

If he weighs 800 at 10 months and his 205 ww was 672 that means he is only gaining 1.35 # a day.

He really ain't feeding em much ............they figured out the other day a 5 gallon bucket of " feed" was 30#'s........

Jovid":1bjt3v8x said:
herfdog":1bjt3v8x said:
Kingfisher":1bjt3v8x said:

Sorry about that I was out doing chores and thinking about what I said and it wasn't even close not sure where that came from. I Had a brain fart. They should be around 1000#.

Australian":35l2il52 said:
Too feminine, too narrow in the head. Wouldn't appeal to Australian Poll Hereford breeders. His mother is a fair cow. Any pictures of the sire of this calf?
sire
feltons517.jpg

lactating dam (calf 18 days old)
2003_0101Image0035.jpg

Excellent eye pigment but that is the only positive I see. Calf is too narrow and flat sided for my taste. I do think the cow is good, but not thick enough to mate with Feltons 517.

517 was a great bull in his day, but he was mostly a tool to initialise the shift back to a more sensible size. Not saying there isn't a use for him today, but there are great descendants of him that I'd rather use now.

All that said, there is potential in the bullcalf, eyes are not great, but neither the cow nor 517 had great eyes, there is depth and he looks sound enough, granted there isn't a lot of power, but I've seen AI bulls with less. His masculinity is OK for his age, I just struggle to understand the feeding regime. Its like being pregnant, either you are or you are not, there simply is nothing in between that is worthwhile

KNERSIE":xbd7mvjq said:
517 was a great bull in his day, but he was mostly a tool to initialise the shift back to a more sensible size. Not saying there isn't a use for him today, but there are great descendants of him that I'd rather use now.

All that said, there is potential in the bullcalf, eyes are not great, but neither the cow nor 517 had great eyes, there is depth and he looks sound enough, granted there isn't a lot of power, but I've seen AI bulls with less. His masculinity is OK for his age, I just struggle to understand the feeding regime. Its like being pregnant, either you are or you are not, there simply is nothing in between that is worthwhile
I am not sure exactly what you are trying to say but I will give it a try. I should feed him grain hard or hardly feed him grain at all. Don't stick in the middle. If I am off base could someone please tell me what it means. thanks

I think a lot of us from down south prefer a bull who was weaned to rye grass and winter wheat and has been gaining 2.5+ lbs a day on grass. Developed slow but not TOO slow. That works well in Texas or Oklahoma or here (Alabama).....but not so well in Minnesota. I don't like a pig fat grain lotted bull (a lot of people do though). I am not quite knowledgable enough to recommend a bull development program (in your climate) that produces that ready to rock 18 month old bull that isn't going to fall apart transitioning his rumen from grain to grass while has been grown out fast enough that he wasn't stunted and isn't dwarfed by your cows. You might want to talk to Northern Rancher or Ace Deimert about tweeking your bull development program. Bull development like heifer development is probably the hardest thing to get spot on in ranching.

Latest posts