Hereford Bull Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Tim I think your on the right track. Herefords are a great breed, but unless you are a seedstock breeder their is no reason to use a bull that u have to worry about his BW. Frankly if seedstock producers would cut the high birth weight animals we would all sleep a little better at night.

I jus t noticed that your in Alabama, you might want to pm Cattleman2000. He would probably have a nice low bw , high growth limi bull laying around somewhere..... SING OUT BILL....u out there

Hey Houston, I am still kicking but not very high. I am sure I could come up with a low BW bull for Tim but he seems to have his heart set on Hereford.

Circle H Ranch

Scroote":32462aoc said:
Cabo":32462aoc said:
I had rather take my chances with a sale barn black bull than use one that has calving EPDs that bad.

Can you post the link to that breed society? Can't seem to find it on google. What are their epd's?

Scrotum, my bad, I wasn't aware that a bull needed a society to breed a cow. Glad I'm not too old to learn new things. Have you ever been to a sale barn, if so you know what a sale barn bull is. Good day ;-)

Cattleman200":3mzbshbr said:
Hey Houston, I am still kicking but not very high. I am sure I could come up with a low BW bull for Tim but he seems to have his heart set on Hereford.

Circle H Ranch
Actually, I would rather use a braford bull on these cows, but I am having trouble locating one in my area ( southeast alabama ). There ain't many hereford bull breeders around here either. I don't have a problem with Limi bulls; I used them in the past and liked them. My next door neighbor is a Limi breeder and has some fine red and black bulls.I just feel that the white trim on these black calves is very marketable here. Also, would probably make some good replacement females.

If you are in SE Alabama, you're close to one of the largest Braford growers in the country. Come on down to the Okeechobee/Ft Pierce part of Florida and look at Adams Ranch Brafords...

Gators Rule":13z03zrj said:
If you are in SE Alabama, you're close to one of the largest Braford growers in the country. Come on down to the Okeechobee/Ft Pierce part of Florida and look at Adams Ranch Brafords...
I would like to own one of their bulls, but a 9 hr drive one way ain't close. It'd be hard to make that trip and be home before supper.

Tell you what, Tim, I will write you a note to give to momma..... :banana: :banana: we wouldnt want you to get in trouble cause of us characters

Tim Gibson":245immv6 said:
Should a calving ease epd of -1.7 and birth weight epd of 5.2 in a unproven hereford bull be a concern when breeding 1000-1100 lb commercial angus cows? All cows have had at least two angus sired calves unassisted. I am considering buying this young hereford bull, but do not want any calving issues. The bulls reg. no. is 43151114. Thanks.

While those EPDs themselves wouldn't necessarily scare me, when using an unproven bull on mature cows, even smaller ones like yours, the fact that he had a BW ratio of 113% would!

And his updated EPDs are CE of -3.1% and a BW of +5.5.

George

I am not familiar with the Hereford website. I did find the 113 ratio on birth but where does it show how many animals were in his contemporary birth group and his actual birthweight?

Circle H Ranch

Latest posts