Herdsires

Help Support CattleToday:

What is your pick of these bulls by the photos?

• Knight

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Norseman King

• Ole Oscar

• Top Gun

• Carlton

• Rambler

• Logic

• Total voters
I can't believe how many are voting for Knight. Look at how high he comes up in the flank! If it wasn't for condition, that bull would look alot more flat-muscled than that pic shows! Oscar and Rambler are my two picks - far and away the best bulls on that list. No other bull in those pics has their depth and volume, combined with tremendous length and muscle.

I'd love to see their feet, and know how big they are, but certainly no other bull in that group looks to be in their league.

PC, the lack of flank showing is a lack of fat. More times than not the muscular bulls have a higher flank than the ones that don't as they generally don't put on the fat like the less muscular bulls do.

Knight has done a super job in the R.Angus breed. He has breed definitely an improver with scrotal, feet, udders and certainly muscle. His not a young bull anymore yet his genetics are very much in demand.

Not taking anything away from the other bulls, but none of the other bulls can even come close to Knight for being an all around sire.

Of all the progeny I've seen from some of these bulls, I do like Knight's daughters. I've seen very few sons that should have been allowed to keep their hardware, but those that were good, were damn good. As for Rambler and Oscar, I haven't seen ALOT of progeny, but all I've seen were keepers.

So, from the perspective of progeny, that's my opinion. From the perspective of phenotype, I really don't care for bulls that rise up in the flank like that. I believe bulls who carry their depth from their brisket to their balls sire daughters with great depth, well attached udders and are very easy fleshers. More depth and guts means more pounds.

I'm glad to hear you say though that Knight is a foot improver. Pics just don't tell you that.

Everyone has their own idea on what a bull needs to look like to leave terrific daughters. I believe the basics of any good herdbull is his daughers or dam.

There have been some really good bulls in the past that have been very muscular and would be considered not extremely deep (not tight wound or tubular either) and their daughters are absolutely some of the deepest, stoutest cows you will find.

A bull like Rambo 502 gets a lot of attention yet his progeny are tight hided and harder fleshing yet everyone is trained to believe that he has changed the world. He did sire performance, and their are some very good daughters around also.

I'm with you PC on the oscar or rambler. I'd like to use rambler as a terminal kind of bull but oscar is by far the most complete bull in the list. He's long, deep, structurally correct, eye appealing, well muscled

I agree Jake. I can envision a pretty strappin set of steers off of Rambler - or bulls - and some beautiful cows off of Oscar - or bulls, lol.

I agree with ya SEC about Rambo, I never understood the fascination there. Everything I saw from him was just like you put it, all frame, tight-hided, hard-doin' and slab-sided. Kinda sounds like a country song don't it? :lol:

Latest posts