Herdsires

Help Support CattleToday:

I like both of those Shorthorn bulls very well. They remind me of some we had when I was a kid. I hardly ever see any around here anymore.

Here's one of my Longhorn bulls-I may have posted this before. This bull throws us some very good bodied and good horned calves. He's never thrown us a solid colored calf yet. Most of his offspring will have roan or speckled coloring. He looks white but actually is a dun roan. Here goes.

100_0514.jpg

Here's a calf we raised last year. We will use him in our herd through AI. We are also using a brother in our herd that has turned out excellent.

Solid cow family, easy fleshing, with excellent growth.

BeverlyHills-TCSC3RNEW100_5849.jpg

DOC HARRIS":274z736b said:
A 'half-century' ago they looked like this bull, but they went the way of the "pony" Angus - and I didn't realize that at least some of them had made the road back! He is a Popper! "What Goes Around - Comes Around!" - and I hope that our BEEF breeders don't fall into the same 'ditch' that they did years ago! :mad: :help:

<chuckle> I too hope we don't see that same cycle, however many of the Shorthorn breeders that I'm familiar with out west are breeding with an eye on the commercial aspect of the animal. While I like those PB Shorties, and wouldn't have another breed on the place as far as PBs go, I belive the _real_ value of a Shorthorn is in crossbreeding. I've got some Angus/Shortie and Simm/Shortie cross cows that are second to none for high growth and feed efficiency. Many other PB Shorthorn breeders feel the same way, and thats they way the animals are being marketted. Hopefully this keeps us away from the old ruts, and also keeps the flashy junk genetics away.

Rod

A couple of damn good Shorthorn Bulls. One of the first things that I noticed is the heads on these bulls. (Rod's kinda comes right at you in his pic.) These are the heads that belong on these cattle. Seen far too many long faced roman nosed Shorthorn bulls up here that last number of years. Must have been the Maine influence. Might fit the Maines, but these heads fit the Shorthorns.

Excellent muscle in the Coyote bull. Well balanced etc. etc.

DOC HARRIS":29syc9fz said:
la4angus":29syc9fz said:
IMO all the bulls posted so far are outstanding Shorthorns. Didn't know they made Shorthorns like that anymore. ;-)
:shock: :shock: la4angus - You are right! I didn't know Shorthorns could look like that either! A 'half-century' ago they looked like this bull, but they went the way of the "pony" Angus - and I didn't realize that at least some of them had made the road back! He is a Popper! "What Goes Around - Comes Around!" - and I hope that our BEEF breeders don't fall into the same 'ditch' that they did years ago! :mad: :help:

DOC HARRIS

They may have looked like this 1/2 centurey ago, but thay are not on the comeback. Simply because where I come from there has really been no need to stage a comeback. In all truthfullness there are a good bunch of them here in Canada.

I was amazed when I joined this board just last December at the number of folks in the U.S. that seemd to be quite ready to talk the shorthorn down.

It is quite different where I live.

Regards,

Bez!

i would like to see the shorthorn make a comeback. somebody get on that.

Bez!":iynsm4oq said:
They may have looked like this 1/2 centurey ago, but thay are not on the comeback. Simply because where I come from there has really been no need to stage a comeback. In all truthfullness there are a good bunch of them here in Canada.

Thats a good point Bez. There are some western Canuck breeders who simply never gave up on the old beef animals of yesterday, although I do think we got a little leggier out here than they used to be.

<chuckle> And now that we hijacked the thread, perhaps we should rename it "Shorthorn Herdsires" :lol:

Rod

ive got some good shorthorn influence in my herd thru the beefmasters but the only "purebred" shorthorns ive ever seen around here are the longfaced ones previous described. i alwasy thought they looked maine influenced. ive seen excellent oldtimey shorthorns in books.

Beefy":131j4ro4 said:
ive ever seen around here are the longfaced ones previous described. i alwasy thought they looked maine influenced.

Those long nosed bulls must be appendix animals, versus closed registry. No doubt that I've seen some good appendix bulls out there, but if yer gonna breed purebreds, I always thought they should be PURE.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":2vn211kc said:
Beefy":2vn211kc said:
ive ever seen around here are the longfaced ones previous described. i alwasy thought they looked maine influenced.

Those long nosed bulls must be appendix animals, versus closed registry. No doubt that I've seen some good appendix bulls out there, but if yer gonna breed purebreds, I always thought they should be PURE.

Rod
I agree with that.If they ain't pure they ain't purebred.

Coyote":171hipsi said:
I agree with you Rod but I don't think I would get up at 3:06 in the morning to express my opinion.

:lol: Calving season. I used to get up a couple times a night, until finally I just said to heck with it and now just stay up all night, and get someone to take the first couple days shifts.

Rod

f55903d0.jpg

AEK LCK 1D Champion Z03 1H

EPDS CE BW WW YW MCE Milk Tmat SC
EPD -0.3 3.7 35.2 58.4 -0.9 5.6 23.2 0.1

Acc 0.16 0.38 0.28 0.25 0.15 0.20 0.16

Little coarse on the bone in heifers, but for our climate that works fine. Good milk flow, acceptable udders with long, but not thick, teats. Lot of flesh on the steers and heifers...real easy doing cattle. Best thing of all, he is a pleasure to work around and could definately be called a 'gentle giant.'

Looks like this will be his final year. Worked him a little too hard last year between spring and fall breeding, in conjuction with foot rot in his left back leg that cut his summer breeding short. Hopefully one of the cows drops a good bull off him, as I sure would like a replacement for him.

Coyote:

Registered cattle?

How much does that old cow weigh? She's a tank, but she looks pretty heavy. Frame?

mtnman

Latest posts