herding bull

Help Support CattleToday:

tuck

Reaction score
Does anybody else have a bull that will corral all the cows and calfs in a corner. It's kinda neat to watch the calves will try to get away and he will run that direction and then pace back and forth until all are still, then he just walks away. Seems like he's letting everyone know who the boss is.

i haven't seen that, but it would be cool to see. Our senior herdsire keeps a close watch but not that close.

It's neat until they start that business at penning time. We had to get rid of a Charolais bull that decided "his" herd shouldn't go in the pens. The only plus side was that he would not allow any cows to approach the fence after he got through tearing it up with the neighbor's bull.

I have a bull that herds his gals-he gets really tore up if some of his women wander off too far. I have a friend that had to sell a bull like that-she said that he would run the cows all day keeping them either in a corner of the pasture or on one side or another of the pasture. She said the poor cows couldn't even graze.

I've never had a bull that did that, but a friend did. Oddest thing I've seen... he'd group them all up in a corner, and run after anything that tried to break out. It did get to be a pain.. mostly because in the hot weather he'd have them all grouped up.

my bull doesn't want them to come to me, so he runs up and turns them back. if one is in heat he will corral her away. it is neat to watch, he doesn't corner them.

Thats an accident waiting to happen. Bulls protecting "his" cows can get you hurt. You need to show him you are the bigger of the two and they as really "your" cows. Axe handles work well at this.

Bama":1g0h6wka said:
Thats an accident waiting to happen. Bulls protecting "his" cows can get you hurt. You need to show him you are the bigger of the two and they as really "your" cows. Axe handles work well at this.
I agree with you on that Bama.I had a bull try that,i sold him after that breeding season.I wasn't going to put up with that crap.

I had one that would bunch them so tight into a corner that they pushed through an electric fence. He wouldn't let them go eat or drink. It was a pain in the backside. It won him an all expence paid trip to McDonalds. It was a shame because he through nice calves.
Dave

Naw, mine are too lazy. They just stand there and look at me. I have to get their attention to get them to go with the cows.

Latest posts