Herbicide for woody plants

Help Support CattleToday:

Whoever brought the tallow tree aka "popcorn tree" to this country should be strung up by their toes and beaten senseless with a dead carp! JMO Good luck in treating them, they tend to spread with the wind.

They say that around the 1960's the USDA was recommending Chinese tollow for a fast growing shade tree.

Fred":2knrwn1s said:
They say that around the 1960's the USDA was recommending Chinese tollow for a fast growing shade tree.

It figures. They gave us kudzu too. Personally, I'm leary of introduced species.

Jogeephus":368eacv5 said:
It figures. They gave us kudzu too. Personally, I'm leary of introduced species.

By introduced species are you referring to all breeds of cattle, and 99% of the pasture grasses and legumes?

dun

dun":3bfwb5fy said:
Jogeephus":3bfwb5fy said:

By introduced species are you referring to all breeds of cattle, and 99% of the pasture grasses and legumes?

dun

I guess your right about that. Seems its too easy to look over the successes and dwell on the failures. I stand corrected Dun. I'm a changed man. But I still can't stand Kudzu or Tallow Trees.

Sprayed 60 acres of blackberries, popcorn trees, persimmons, privets, and weeds with "Surmount" yesterday.

We'll see in a week or so how it works out.

that Surmount is hard to beat. Good stuff. I am sure you will like it and it works fast.

C HOLLAND":21weapg1 said:
Mike what does Surmount run per gallon.

It's pretty pricey I think. I didn't buy it, a neighbor hired me to spray his pasture.

Looked at it late yesterday......the weeds looks as though they are getting sick.....................

I checked on the price yesterday and it ran less then half what Remedy was. Can't find the note that I wrote the prices on however

dun

C HOLLAND":ryj19qns said:
Mike what does Surmount run per gallon.

In order to buy Surmount you will need to be certified as a private pesticide applicator. But it is easy to do. Just call and get a private pesticide applicator study manual and a test. Look up the answers in the book and send your test in. they will send your card back in a few days. You will want to keep a copy of the test with all the right answers, as you will have to recertify every 3 years. Same test and same answers though.
You can get the test and or the manual through your extension office or the dept of ag in Montgomery.

Horticattleman":2nk4vtfb said:
Diesel and rubbing alcohol...can't beat it!

this will only kill top growth. It will do it quickly though. It will come back from the roots in a short while.

alabama,
it's not that easy in all states to get a private pesticide applicator license. In NC it is a test done by the NCDA, in SC you have to sit through about 8 hours of class and do a written exam.

Latest posts