Herbicide Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes sir Duracor kills dog fennel.
When I sprayed last year we had it at least three foot tall in quite a few places.
I did spray that big dog fennel with my spray wand. I would stop the tractor ever so often and give it a good heavy mist. But even running the boomless on the small stuff in the pasture was all dead within a few weeks.

It was up pretty good when I sprayed it, as I had to wait until the goatweed got up leafy enough to spray. Sometimes April, sometimes early May.

But, once I decided to switch over to just Remedy and maybe a qt of 2,4-d added per 100 gal, I didn't have to mess with anything else.
Can you spray Remedy and 2-4D while cattle are on the pasture?

AND REMEMBER.... the restrictions for the herbicides concerning hay crops and use of manure and hay residue from animals consuming certain crops that have been grown with listed herbicides...
Grazon others that contain aminopyralid, clopyralid, picloram will KILL broadleaf crops and plants.... LIKE YOUR GARDEN.......and the residual in the manure can last for longer than the "supposed safe time" of 18 months....

AND REMEMBER.... the restrictions for the herbicides concerning hay crops and use of manure and hay residue from animals consuming certain crops that have been grown with listed herbicides...
Grazon others that contain aminopyralid, clopyralid, picloram will KILL broadleaf crops and plants.... LIKE YOUR GARDEN.......and the residual in the manure can last for longer than the "supposed safe time" of 18 months....
This cannot be emphasized enough. I have known tons of people that this has happened to. And, as @Caustic Burno pointed out a couple of years ago, the pre-emergent properties affect the entire seed bank, not just broadleafs.

Last edited:
I have used a lot of grazon next hl, still use a decent amount. We get a lot of woody plants like huisatche, mesquite, black and white brush, yaupon, oak, along with a host of weeds. Most of the pasture I was dealing with had been shredded for years, and years, and years. Some of it was darn near a carpet of knee high brush and weeds.

We went in and started boom spring every thing with gn hl. In 3 years there was a very noticeable kill, probably 75% or better. In 5 years it was in the 90s. Basically what was left you could ipt.

We continued to boom spray for a few more years because the amount of new growth every year was insane.

The grazon next hl did an awesome job and paid for itself, no doubt. Those pasture are pretty grass land looking prairies now.

With all that said, I don't boom spray like that near as much any more. We have gone to ipt on the few woody plants and the weeds are almost non-existent. I credit a lot of that with not over grazing. The diversity of the grasses has greatly increased.

We are actually going in and disking some of this ground to see what seeds we can stir up to add to the diversity.

If you are cleaning up neglected ground it does a good job. If you have coastal, Tifton, jiggs... great product. If you are running native pasture that makes seed and are interested in wildlife and cattle... I would be very conservative with it.

When we do use herb now I have gone to the duracor, patriot, etc herbicides more. I can't remember when I originally reviewed them on here but it has been several years ago, now. For us, they did just as good of a job as any thing else.

Duracor is less likely to kill the neighbors garden than grazon. And the label says it kills more weeds. We've seen it kill some stuff it wasn't labeled for too. Also not restricted. Be curios to see price difference with grazon with grazon being off patent. The chemical shortages from the last few years may keep the generics price propped up.