Herbicide Question

Help Support CattleToday:

midTN_Brangusman

Reaction score
Last month I ordered 30 gallons of Grazon next. I went and picked it up at the feed store Saturday and they gave me Gunslinger AMP. They even put Grazon next on the receipt. I didn't notice this until I got home and called the feed store and they said it was the exact same thing. Curious if I should take it back and get Grazon somewhere else or use the Gunslinger. Thanks in advance08901B96-EAB4-4294-9E33-B30BAAA3D3E0.jpeg

A quick Google glance says same thing.
A generic grazon next .
If you paid a generic price for the same % chemical instead of full price I don't mind getting generic.
I tried to compare the label. Each company lists things differently but they are very close. Actually what you got might be better. But still should be cheaper.

Last edited:
If you paid a generic price for the same % chemical instead of full price I don't mind getting generic.
I tried to compare the label. Each company lists things differently but they are very close. Actually what you got might be better. But still should be cheaper.
I paid full price Kenny. $120 for 2.5 gallons

If I studied it close and it's exactly the same I wouldn't worry about it. I'm easy to deal with like that.

This will be my fourth year to use Duracor. I prefer it over Next. Next is a combination of 2,4-D and the residual chemical (Aminopyralid). Duracor uses the same residual chemical as Next, but uses a different chemical than 2,4-D for the immediate kill. Duracor rates are 12 to 20 oz per acre compared to Next at 19 to 34 oz/acre. When comparing prices, note that Next comes in a 2 gallon jug, Gunslinger AMP is in a 2.5 gallon jug and Duracor is in a 1 gallon jug.

Note that neither next nor duracor will control dog fennel if that is an issue. But duracor will burn it and stunt it. The dicamba in weedmaster does a good job on dog fennel.

A comparison between duracor and next:

I don't have any clover. I think duracor will kill it. Corteva (Dow) has been promising a clover tolerant herbicide for about 4 years. They have a name for it (Proclova), but have not gotten it developed and approved yet. Here is the latest on it - "expected to be approved in the first half of 2023". They better hurry if they are going to meet that schedule. I think herbicides have to be independently registered in each state after the epa approval.

I didn't know that. I've never used Next on it but sprayed fennel with 2,4-d before and killed it dead..
A little more info. Grazon Next label does list dog fennel as a "broadleaf weed controlled", but there is a note on the dog fennel line that "Spot treatment at rates up to 4.2 pints (68 fl oz) per acre of GrazonNext HL may be particularly effective against dense patches of perennial broadleaf plants". I try to avoid any use at more than 1 qt/acre rate due to the residual effect that persists and affects germination for many months out. Next at 1 qt/acre has not worked for me on dog fennel.

Duracor label only lists dogfennel control when duracor is used in combination with Pasturegard. Duracor alone has burned it and severely stunted it for me. But, did not kill it.

2,4-D alone has not worked for me on dogfennel here. Maybe we have a tough version in this area. I don't see dog fennel listed on 2,4-d amine label. But there are a lot of variables - size of plant and state of growth, soil moisture, application rate, droplet size, etc. Dicamba has worked well for me but is under scrutiny for effects on nearby crops. An issue with dog fennel is timing. Dog fennel starts growing here several weeks after most other spring broadleaf weeds. Usually spray in March for thistle and such. The dogfennel is not big enough to catch much chemical at that time.

It was up pretty good when I sprayed it, as I had to wait until the goatweed got up leafy enough to spray. Sometimes April, sometimes early May.

But, once I decided to switch over to just Remedy and maybe a qt of 2,4-d added per 100 gal, I didn't have to mess with anything else.

Latest posts