Herbicide choice

Help Support CattleToday:

Ruark

Reaction score
I was thinking of spraying my central Texas pasture with Grazon, but it's my understanding that it kills the seed bank, and you can't seed anything after Grazon application for at least 4-6 months. I can't wait that long: I need to seed (just broadcast and rolled) as soon as the weeds die down. My main enemies are broomweed and western ragweed, and a bit of scattered thistle and horseweed. After the recent rains, the weeds are starting to shoot up quickly, and some are already 8 inches tall. It's going to be about 2 more weeks before I can access the sprayer (it's booked up). I'd like to hear your advice and suggestions for a herbicide. I have an applicator license, so a restricted herbicide isn't an issue.

I have used Grazon P&D. My understanding is that it only works on broad leaf plants. The label says do not plant for 21 days. (Page 9) As far as killing the seed bank, that does not happen. It kills only after germination. It is supposed to have a residual but I have not had a problem with clover. It doesn't have an effect on the weed seed bank either. I don't use it every year so there is no build up.

I agree with novatech. I don't think it stops germination, but only kills broad leafs.

Bigfoot":3s21jgdc said:
I agree with novatech. I don't think it stops germination, but only kills broad leafs.
It kills it "at" germination, prevents it from being able to live. For us it seems like it takes 3-4 months before anything can germinate and grow after spraying.

When bermuda is sprigged , is there a herbicide that can be used to supress the weed and grass seed from germinating while the bermuda is getting a start?

cowboy43":35rr6q3g said:
When bermuda is sprigged , is there a herbicide that can be used to supress the weed and grass seed from germinating while the bermuda is getting a start?
Treflan or another pre-emergance herbicide will help with weeds and annual grasses while establishing sprigged bermuda grasses.

B&M Farms":2a6u8o3g said:
cowboy43":2a6u8o3g said:
Treflan or another pre-emergance herbicide will help with weeds and annual grasses while establishing sprigged bermuda grasses.

I don't think you will find this on the label but if you expect a crabgrass problem, spraying the dirt immediately after sprigging with 2 pints of 2,4-D /acre will screw up the crabgrass seed and cause it not to set down a good root so it will not compete enough to pose a problem to the bermuda.

A B. Dahl seed dealer told me that the 6-month wait referred mainly to legumes, which are much more sensitive to Grazon than grasses. Beyond that, though, he didn't know any specifics.

Ruark":2pxu630r said:
A B. Dahl seed dealer told me that the 6-month wait referred mainly to legumes, which are much more sensitive to Grazon than grasses. Beyond that, though, he didn't know any specifics.
I had no problem with the clover at about 5 months. Sprayed at end of May and the clover came back in October.

Still collecting information about this question. An Agrilife expert said that it was correct: using Grazon can severely diminish germination of seeds broadcast after the application; you need to wait 3 to 5 months before any re-seeding. His advice was to just treat with 24D, then wait a month, then reseed. Then when the grasses are established (i.e. 3 to 4 true leaves), treat it with a light to medium application of Grazon Next to pick up what the 24D left. So that's the plan at this time.

Final determination, after much research and advice. All livestock are off the property.

Treat with Pasturegard HL, 2 pints per acre. This is non-residual, and will take out the broomweed, western ragweed and field pennycress, as well as some thorny raspberry that's coming up in some places.

Even though it's non-residual, Pasturegard has a 3-week wait before re-seeding. After a month, drag the pastures with a few sheets of cattle panel and broadcast unhulled B. Dahl, 2 lbs/acre. Roll with 2500 pound roller. Stand back and pray for a couple of rains. The Dahl will come up along with some scattered native grass that's already there. Leave everything untouched all summer. In the fall, the Dahl goes to seed. After the seeds drop, bale it down to 5 or 6 inches and overseed thoroughly with perennial winter rye. When the rye's established, apply Grazon Next. Fertilize in early spring.

That's it. By April/May of 2013, it should be good to go. Let the Dahl/Native get up to 8-10 inches, then graze at about 1/4 capacity. In the fall the 2nd generation rye will come up super-thick for winter grazing.

Latest posts