help???

Help Support CattleToday:

Missy

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have just been out out to feed some grain to my bottle calves and one of them has blood dripping from his anus. It is dripping almost like he is cut,he did a poo and the blood just comes out afterwards. Is this blood scours. He is a calf that is not putting on weight real well. Drinks all his milk and eats grain,just a bad doer i suppose he is a guernsey and about 5 or 6 weeks old.
Any help would be much appreciated

Hi Missy, my first thought when I see bloody stool is coccidiosis. This would also explain the not gaining weight.

I would probably give him a course of sulfa antibiotics (need to get from vet) - brand names Triprim or Trisoprim, (the actual antibiotic is Trimethoprim sulfa). Other things to give him (along with the antibiotic) would be Scourban - also need to get from vet - a pinky liquid which is very good, otherwise D-Scour paste - can get from your local feed store and some form of electrolytes wouldnt be a bad idea either - I use Vytrate but there are many brands.

Also he should get some form of probiotics - if you use the D-Scour paste that has probiotics in it, otherwise you can get stuff called Protexin - comes in powder, paste or liquid form, or otherwise you can also give him a good dollop of plain yoghurt in his bottle.

Good luck, let us know how he goes.

First thing to do is to get a stool sample to ta vet. They can check for coccidiosis, worms, etc. Shotgunning a cure in a young calf is playing russian roulette, only you're holding the gun to the calfs head.

Thank you so much...

I wont be able to get to the vets until tomorrow.
I have an antibiotic which is called alamycin? Would that help if i gave him a shot tonight?

Keren":3o4jeqk7 said:
milkmaid":3o4jeqk7 said:
Nope. Antibiotic won't do a thing for coccidiosis.

A :?: - why does my vet prescribe a sulfa antibiotic for cocci :?: I'm :???:

I'm guessing it's to treat the secondary problems that coccidiosis cause, i.e. bleeding, or as a possible preventative of more serious secocndary problems.

From the Merck vet manual:
Coccidiosis of Cattle

E zuernii , E bovis , and E auburnensis are the species most often associated with clinical disease in cattle. Experimentally, other species have been shown to be mildly or moderately pathogenic. Coccidiosis is commonly a disease of young cattle (1-2 mo to 1 yr) and usually is sporadic during the wet seasons of the year. "Summer coccidiosis" and "winter coccidiosis" in range cattle probably result from severe weather stress and crowding around a limited water source, which concentrates the hosts and parasites within a restricted area. Although particularly severe epidemics have been reported in feedlot cattle during extremely cold weather, cattle confined to feedlots are susceptible to coccidiosis throughout the year. Outbreaks usually occur within the first month of confinement. The incubation period is 17-21 days.
The most typical syndrome is chronic or subclinical disease in groups of growing animals. Calves may appear unthrifty and have fecal-stained perineal areas. In light infections, cattle appear healthy and oocysts are present in normally formed feces, but feed efficiency is reduced. The most characteristic sign of clinical coccidiosis is watery feces, with little or no blood, and the animal shows only slight discomfort for a few days. Severe infections are rare. Severely affected cattle develop thin, bloody diarrhea that may continue for >1 wk, or thin feces with streaks or clots of blood, shreds of epithelium, and mucus. They may develop a fever; become anorectic, depressed, and dehydrated; and lose weight. Tenesmus is common. During the acute period, some cattle die; others die later from secondary complications (eg, pneumonia). Cattle that survive severe illness can lose significant weight that is not quickly regained or can remain permanently stunted. Calves with concurrent infections (eg, coronavirus) may be more severely affected than calves with coccidia infections alone. In addition, management factors, such as weather, housing, feeding practices, and how animals are grouped, are important in determining the expression of clinical coccidiosis in cattle.
The pathogenic coccidia of cattle can damage the mucosa of the lower small intestine, cecum, and colon. The first-generation schizonts of E bovis appear as white macroscopic bodies in the villi of the small intestine.
Nervous signs (eg, muscular tremors, hyperesthesia, clonic-tonic convulsions with ventroflexion of the head and neck, nystagmus) and a high mortality rate (80-90%) are seen in calves with acute clinical coccidiosis. Outbreaks of this "nervous form" have occurred in which 30-50% of all susceptible calves are affected. It has been seen most commonly during, or following, severely cold weather in midwinter in Canada and the northern USA. Affected calves may die <24 hr after the onset of dysentery and nervous signs, or they may live for several days, commonly in a laterally recumbent position with a mild degree of opisthotonos. In spite of intensive supportive therapy, the mortality rate is high. Nervous signs have not been reported in experimental clinical coccidiosis in calves, which suggests that the nervous signs may be unrelated to the dysentery or, indeed, even to coccidiosis.
Diagnosis is by finding oocysts on fecal flotation or direct smear or by the McMaster's technique. Differential diagnoses include salmonellosis, bovine virus diarrhea, malnutrition, toxins, or other intestinal parasites.
Coccidiosis is a self-limiting disease, and spontaneous recovery without specific treatment is common when the multiplication stage of the coccidia has passed. The chemotherapeutic agents in common use for clinical coccidiosis are unlikely to have any effect on the late stages of the coccidia. Most of the coccidiostats have a depressant effect on the early, first-stage schizonts and are used for control.
Drugs that can be used for therapy of clinically affected animals include amprolium (10 mg/kg/day for 5 days) and sulfaquinoxaline (6 mg/lb/day for 3-5 days). Sulfaquinoxaline is particularly useful for feedlot cattle that develop bloody diarrhea after arrival. For prevention, amprolium (5 mg/kg/day for 21 days), decoquinate (22.7 mg/45 kg/day for 28 days) and lasalocid (1 mg/kg/day to a maximum of 360 mg/head/day), or monensin (100-360 mg/head/day) can be used. The major benefits of the coccidiostats are through improved feed efficiency and rate of gain.
In an outbreak, the clinically affected animals should be isolated and given supportive oral and parenteral fluid therapy as necessary. The population density of the affected pens should be reduced. All feed and water supplies should be high enough off the ground to avoid fecal contamination. Mass medication of the feed and water supplies may be indicated in an attempt to prevent new cases and to minimize the effects of an epidemic. Cattle with coccidiosis and nervous signs should be brought indoors, kept well-bedded and warm, and given fluid therapy orally and parenterally. However, the case fatality rate is high despite intensive supportive therapy. Parenteral sulfonamide therapy may be indicated to control the development of secondary bacterial enteritis or pneumonia, which may develop in calves with coccidiosis during very cold weather. Corticosteroids are contraindicated.
Coccidiosis has been difficult to control reliably. Overcrowding of animals should be avoided while they develop an immunity to the coccidial species in the environment. Calving grounds should be well drained and kept as dry as possible. All measures that minimize fecal contamination of hair coats and fleece should be practiced regularly. Feed and water troughs should be high enough to avoid heavy fecal contamination. Control of coccidiosis in feeder calves brought into a crowded feedlot depends on management of population density, or use of chemotherapeutics, to control the numbers of oocysts ingested by the animals while effective immunity develops.
Coccidiostats are used for the control of naturally occurring coccidiosis. The ideal coccidiostat suppresses the full development of the life cycle of the coccidia, allows immunity to develop, and does not interfere with production performance. Sulfonamides in the feed at 25-35 mg/kg for ≥15 days are effective for the control of coccidiosis in calves. Monensin is an effective coccidiostat and growth promotant in calves. Withdrawal of monensin may be followed by development of fatal coccidiosis in some animals, presumably because the drug suppressed the development of immunity. Postweaning coccidiosis in beef calves has been controlled using monensin administered via intraluminal continuous release devices. Lasalocid is related to monensin and is also an effective coccidiostat for ruminants. Mixing lasalocid in the milk replacer of calves beginning at 2-4 days of age is an effective method of controlling coccidiosis. Lasalocid is also effective as a coccidiostat when fed free-choice in salt at a level of 0.75% of the total salt mixture. A level of 1 mg/kg is the most effective and rapid, and is recommended when outbreaks of coccidiosis are imminent. Decoquinate in the feed at 0.5-1.0 mg/kg suppressed oocyst production in experimentally induced coccidiosis of calves. It is most effective in preventing coccidial infections when fed continuously in dry feed at 0.5 mg/kg. Monensin, lasalocid, and decoquinate at the manufacturer's recommended levels are equally effective. Toltrazuril administered at 20 mg/kg as a single dose, 10 days after animals are turned out to pasture, almost completely prevents coccidiosis.
Control of infection should include changes in management factors that contribute to the development of clinical disease. Inadequate housing and ventilation should be corrected, feeding practices adopted that avoid fecal contamination of feed, calves grouped by size, and an "all-in/all-out" method of calf movement from pen to pen adopted.

Keren I always treat with a med as well, just as added prevention.

There are tablets out that are just for coccidiosis the main ingredient is Sodium Arsenilate Anhydrous,I have tried them but don't know if they did anything or if the coccidiosis just worked it's course.

Separate your calf right away if it isn't already and I would get all of your calves on a calf starter with decox. Since I have been doing this every calving season we have not had a single case in 3 years and we had a big problem at one time..

But yes, get a fecal sample done so you know what to rule out.

some forms of E. Coli scours will cause bloody diarrhea, too. Smells terrible, too. Keep that baby well hydrated til you can see your vet.

thankyou so much for all the info. The calf is still very bright this morning, drank his electrolytes and is now eating grain. Off shortly to take a feacal test in to the vets so should know within a couple of hours. will keep you all updated
Thanks again

Thanks everybody once again
Yes he tested positive for coccidiosis.
He is being treated and all should be well.

Thanks again

Sulfas are... different. I'm not quite sure how to explain that one. They're lumped into a catagory with antibiotics, but they're not technically antibiotics since they're synthetically synthesized. They work against bacteria and some protozoa, unlike real antibiotics that are produced by one bacteria in order to kill/inhibit other bacteria, and only bacteria. Things like Nuflor, LA200, penicillin, etc, won't work against coccidiosis since coccidi are protozoa, not bacteria.

Latest posts