help, something wrong with our calves????

Help Support CattleToday:

jbfarms011

Reaction score
we just bought 2 new calves yesterday, weighting around 400 pounds each. today we go out to check on them and the first one gets up they act real stiff in there back legs. could walk, just real stiff. thought maybe it was the way he was laying down. then the second one gets up and is acting the same way. what is going on with them and what do we do?

we didnt get any help from this sight so we took them to the vet today. found out that they were bred for show cattle and some one over done it. they are to heavy for there legs and they will never be able to reach over a 1000#. they were probably injected with a inflamatory before they were taken to the sale barn to take away some of the swelling. just wanted to post this so someone else dont have the same problem we did.

Severe acidosis can cause lameness. You might be able to correct it with time and keep them long enough to reach a reasonable finishing weight. If you want to try and fix it I would keep them on a mild anti inflammatory to alleviate the stiffness, see is meloxicam is available yet for cattle in your country.

jbfarms011":1crztaun said:
we didnt get any help from this sight so we took them to the vet today. found out that they were bred for show cattle and some one over done it. they are to heavy for there legs and they will never be able to reach over a 1000#. they were probably injected with a inflamatory before they were taken to the sale barn to take away some of the swelling. just wanted to post this so someone else dont have the same problem we did.
Just as I suspected.

jbfarms011":kpoy8nl8 said:
we didnt get any help from this sight so we took them to the vet today.
That was probably your best bet anyway, I don't know why people come on here asking the my calf is sick question and expect someone from behind a computer screen to diagnose their problem when it could be a 1000 different things wrong and without even seeing the animal
a couple of stiff legged calves could be cause by ANYTHING and is nothing anyone on here would be able to diagnose without seeing them and then they still might not
I don't know why people think CT members can diagnose and treat their animals from a few sentences
like you posted

especially
a question like
we just bought 2 new calves yesterday, weighting around 400 pounds each. today we go out to check on them and the first one gets up they act real stiff in there back legs. could walk, just real stiff.

Well, it's actually a good thing no one on this site helped out so you could learn the value of taking animals to the vet when you have a problem. So, let me say on behalf of all of us on the board . . . . you're . . . . :welcome: .

Latest posts