Help Please! How to keep cattle away from my home

Help Support CattleToday:

Tenaj said:
Thanks Bright Raven. You are the kindest person on this site! Compliment well deserved.

Both families have been here since the beginning of time and properties have been handed down for generations.

I understand cattle are Gods Creation for us as a great source of food and through time has become an income for plenty of people. I think the animal is beautiful too and the babies are truly adorable.

I will continue to study the cattle to find out what they like and don't like. I would never do mean things to my neighbor - so it is hard for me to understand why someone would not be understanding. There are rotten people in the world and it is really to bad. One thing for sure, I am so glad I am not like them. Thanks for all your time today. You are awesome!

What I wanted to point out. If the fence is not on the property line but instead closer to your living space, you have the right to put in a fence on the actual property line that would move the cattle farther distance from your living space.

Tenaj said:
Thanks Bright Raven. You are the kindest person on this site! Compliment well deserved.

Both families have been here since the beginning of time and properties have been handed down for generations.

I understand cattle are Gods Creation for us as a great source of food and through time has become an income for plenty of people. I think the animal is beautiful too and the babies are truly adorable.

I will continue to study the cattle to find out what they like and don't like. I would never do mean things to my neighbor - so it is hard for me to understand why someone would not be understanding. There are rotten people in the world and it is really to bad. One thing for sure, I am so glad I am not like them. Thanks for all your time today. You are awesome!

You should stop living like a slob.

I'm like the others on here, being close to cattle doesn't bother me at all. Our house is literally in between two barns and a barn lot where we feed is behind us.
As to the question about what can be done. Is this a shaded area with trees where they are congregating by the fence line? Or close to a water source? Other wise it looks to me like they would just randomly pass through and shouldn't be too problematic.

Tenaj said:
Not a snowflake, do you have cattle living in your backyard, perhaps you like the fresh scent of cowshyt. Might be your favorite cologne too. you might be the one that steps in it then walks in your home with you cowshyt shoes all over your home. Not me!

Cows on three sides and across the road. My cow's shyt don't stink.

People like you made laws like this necessary.

Right to farm laws in the United States deny nuisance lawsuits against farmers who use accepted and standard farming practices and have been in prior operation even if these practices harm or bother adjacent property owners or the general public. ... All 50 states have some form of Right to Farm law.

I am wondering at Tenaj 's comment about stepping in cowshyt and then walking in one's home. Not liking the smell or the mess. Is this the problem? Do they have to go "through" the cattle to get into and out of their home? It was my understanding that the cows were along the fenceline and she felt it was too close to her house. If, as I read it, both places have been there since time began, then they must have moved into the house that had belonged to family and inherited? Otherwise, they would have been aware of all the smells that go along with the cattle? A cow just dropping a cowpie in the field does not have any lasting odor for very many feet away. If the cows are congregating along the fenceline as was suggested due to shade or water or something, then the smell could become overwhelming, to someone who was not used to it. But again, if these have been there forever, then it is clearly a matter of the occupants not having been raised there and realizing that is what it is.
I agree that the right to farm laws should come into play. I think that if the fences are on the property lines, then Tenaj is not being reasonable in a farming area. A wall that will prevent the sight,sounds, and smells are their only recourse on their own side of the property line. The owner of the adjoining property has the right to run the cattle there, if it is a permitted use of their farm land.
As far as slobs and living with class, if you are in a farm designated area, then you should have already known what is considered to be normal practices. If you want fancy and refined, then a farming area is not for you. There are smells that I find very offensive in cities and in industrial places. But, if I were to go live there, it would be with the knowledge that it is to be expected in that area.
There are too many people who "love the country and looking at the animals grazing on the hillsides" but they want it from a distance. They do not want to deal with the daily real life of farming but only the pastoral sights. Those people should not be living in a farming area. The only other recourse that I see is to use some of the things that are used to discourage animals such as predator scents that might cause the cattle to stay further away from the fences but I don't think there is much proof that it will work. Some types of trees or shrubs that are used as windbreaks will mitigate some of it and shield the house owner from the sights and some smells. Other than that, the houseowner really needs to accept it or to move elsewhere.

HDRider said:

Right to farm laws in the United States deny nuisance lawsuits against farmers who use accepted and standard farming practices and have been in prior operation even if these practices harm or bother adjacent property owners or the general public. ... All 50 states have some form of Right to Farm law.
Perhaps OP is not American...no mention is made where situated.

farmerjan said:
I am wondering at Tenaj 's comment about stepping in cowshyt and then walking in one's home. Not liking the smell or the mess. Is this the problem? Do they have to go "through" the cattle to get into and out of their home? It was my understanding that the cows were along the fenceline and she felt it was too close to her house. If, as I read it, both places have been there since time began, then they must have moved into the house that had belonged to family and inherited? Otherwise, they would have been aware of all the smells that go along with the cattle? A cow just dropping a cowpie in the field does not have any lasting odor for very many feet away. If the cows are congregating along the fenceline as was suggested due to shade or water or something, then the smell could become overwhelming, to someone who was not used to it. But again, if these have been there forever, then it is clearly a matter of the occupants not having been raised there and realizing that is what it is.
I agree that the right to farm laws should come into play. I think that if the fences are on the property lines, then Tenaj is not being reasonable in a farming area. A wall that will prevent the sight,sounds, and smells are their only recourse on their own side of the property line. The owner of the adjoining property has the right to run the cattle there, if it is a permitted use of their farm land.
As far as slobs and living with class, if you are in a farm designated area, then you should have already known what is considered to be normal practices. If you want fancy and refined, then a farming area is not for you. There are smells that I find very offensive in cities and in industrial places. But, if I were to go live there, it would be with the knowledge that it is to be expected in that area.
There are too many people who "love the country and looking at the animals grazing on the hillsides" but they want it from a distance. They do not want to deal with the daily real life of farming but only the pastoral sights. Those people should not be living in a farming area. The only other recourse that I see is to use some of the things that are used to discourage animals such as predator scents that might cause the cattle to stay further away from the fences but I don't think there is much proof that it will work. Some types of trees or shrubs that are used as windbreaks will mitigate some of it and shield the house owner from the sights and some smells. Other than that, the houseowner really needs to accept it or to move elsewhere.

Good points. I would caution though that as far as planting shrubs for a barrier. Some shrubs are highly toxic to cattle such as Taxis and Yews.

Tenaj said:
, do you have cattle living in your backyard, perhaps you like the fresh scent of cowshyt. Might be your favorite cologne too. you might be the one that steps in it then walks in your home with you cowshyt shoes all over your home. Not me!
Most of us here have cows living, grazing, shyting and calving just a few millimeters beyond our back, side or front yards. Just a barbed wire fence between the yard and their domains...keeps us from having to weed eat the yard fencline. :lol2:

Cows wuz here before there was a yard ........or house..

From my front porch.

alisonb said:
HDRider said:

Perhaps OP is not American...no mention is made where situated.

Has to a US citizen, other folks have better sense.

My opinion on the veracity of this thread. I don't have a clue if the Original poster is a "troll". Just remember, the world is full of this kind of naive thought. All you can do is take them at face value, that is what I did. I would rather error on the side of being duped than being rude!

farmerjan said:

Well said.

I would try to plant some trees or bushes that would that would filter or mask the smells.I would,however make sure that those plants do not encroach on the neighboring property especially if they are poisonous to the cattle.
The bottom line is even if the properties have been owned for generations it would be the duty of the new homeowner to have made the decision about the situation before moving in.
Personally I don't think it's right for someone to come to an area and then expect it to change to suit their lifestyle.If I moved into the city and wanted to bring a cow or two or maybe do a little shooting in the backyard,I doubt that would be welcome.Neither would my dented pickup with 3" glasspack.
Not hating on the OP.Just pointing out we need to consider everything when we decide to change where we live.

Tenaj said:
Yes I agree Bright Raven, thank you for your kind answer too.
Tenaj said:
Thank you for taking my question seriously Bright Raven, you are the most caring and understanding person on this site I have spoken to so far. That is a true compliment.
Tenaj said:

Thanks for all your time today. You are awesome!

OMW...my hero :pretty: :nod: :tiphat: :clap:

alisonb said:
Tenaj said:
Yes I agree Bright Raven, thank you for your kind answer too.
Tenaj said:
Thank you for taking my question seriously Bright Raven, you are the most caring and understanding person on this site I have spoken to so far. That is a true compliment.
Tenaj said:

Thanks for all your time today. You are awesome!

OMW...my hero :pretty: :nod: :tiphat: :clap:

I don't take you serious. But for the consideration of the Moderators and Mr. Gravlee, I want to assure them I am not impersonating any other user. I never have and don't have any intentions of doing do.

Latest posts