Help me understand Purell

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Okay Purell a waterless hand cleanser. So my hands need washed before we eat at a restaurant and my wife offers me a squirt of Purell, gives me a squirt and I rub my hands until the Purell "disappears". No towel needed to dry hands, no wet hands....... what happens to the dirt and grime that I should have washed off with good old soap and water? Just doesn't add up for me, also I'm not referring to working in the garden type dirt, but handling money, door knobs, slot machines type dirt. I'm sure it kills the germs but what about the dirt, dust and whatever comes off door knobs and slot machines?

Well the theory behind it is that the 'dirt, grime, and dust" is simply material once the 'germs' are killed, just as the dead skin cells from your body is just inert and harmless material. Of course, the Purrell doesn't kill every kind of bad microscopic critter but it gets rid of most--probably over 95%. In other words, you may still have dirt, grease or 'something' on your hands, but it is now a sterilized something. I don't use it, but I think Purell is basically some kind of alcohol.

The plate your food is on, probably has enough bacteria on it to off set the cleanliness of your hands. I don't even want to think about the glass your drink is in.

hand sanitizers are why kids are so sick these days. we need bacteria in our systems. I've eaten sandwiches between cows going thru the chute that when you take a bite all you smell is cow shyt . its just propaganda to sell a product.

M-5":1g359nn4 said:
hand sanitizers are why kids are so sick these days. we need bacteria in our systems. I've eaten sandwiches between cows going thru the chute that when you take a bite all you smell is cow shyt . its just propaganda to sell a product.

Cow shy isn't bad for you. You should see some of the pigging strings I've had in my mouth.

I'm like some of you I have no problem eating something while doing a hands on job outside. My post was kind of a jest on Purell and those types of cleansers. I've used it just a very few times, I'm a soap and water type of a guy, but here's my last experience with Purell. My wife always has some in her purse, a few years back we were in Vegas for a convention. I had been playing the slots while my wife finished up on a meeting, we met and decided to go to the buffet for dinner. We got our table and we went for salad, it dawned on me I have been messing with money, slots and beers for a while so informed my wife I was going to wash my hands. She grabbed her stash of Purell and told me to hold out my hand........ The squirt of gel missed my hand, arm and entire body...... But not my salad. I just looked at her and laughed, told her that about covers Purell for me and told her I was going to wash up...... But on my return to the table decided to skip the salad and went straight to the all you can eat meat and potatoes section. We enjoyed the humor of it and the rest of our meal, I'm still not sure if she thought it was funnier than I did.

Just got home from a stem cell transplant. Some of the things that they told me to not eat were fresh fruits and vegetables that we had not washed very carefully ourselves. Maybe your wife was just trying to make sure the salad ingredients had been washed properly?

Deepsouth":3c6qr0ul said:
M-5":3c6qr0ul said:

Cow shy isn't bad for you. You should see some of the pigging strings I've had in my mouth.
He77 What is hard for me to get a grip on is that Deepsouth even knows what a piggin string is :cowboy:

Gunner":1l16g77n said:
Just got home from a stem cell transplant. Some of the things that they told me to not eat were fresh fruits and vegetables that we had not washed very carefully ourselves. Maybe your wife was just trying to make sure the salad ingredients had been washed properly?
Can't let this go.

What is that about since you brought it up?

I do not condone the continuous use of Purell and other anti-bacterial stuff. We should all eat a tea spoon of dirt every day starting at a very early age.

The chemo part of the procedure kills your immune system. You are very susceptible to everything until your immune system recovers. A lot of fruits and vegetables do not get washed well before they are eaten. To a healthy person, no problem. Your immune system can handle it. They would not allow me fresh fruit and vegetables even when prepared by the hospital kitchen.

Gunner":iuu8vy15 said:
The chemo part of the procedure kills your immune system. You are very susceptible to everything until your immune system recovers. A lot of fruits and vegetables do not get washed well before they are eaten. To a healthy person, no problem. Your immune system can handle it. They would not allow me fresh fruit and vegetables even when prepared by the hospital kitchen.
Hmmmm, what does that say about the sanitation in the hospital kitchen?

Hand sanitizers only kill some germs, primarily those that spread the cold and flu. They put that in fine print. They don't kill everything, and certainly don't clean anything. Most are nothing more than alcohol.

Deepsouth":3gwvddya said:
M-5":3gwvddya said:

Would you eat dog shyte? How about people shyte? Pig? Chicken? I mean, shyte is shyte, right?

Reminds me of Happy Gilmore. You guys eat pieces of shyte for breakfast?

M.Magis":3ioir79v said:
Hand sanitizers only kill some germs, primarily those that spread the cold and flu. They put that in fine print. They don't kill everything, and certainly don't clean anything. Most are nothing more than alcohol.
That's all that's needed to kill most common bacteria.

TexasBred":5gjhsk3v said:
That's all that's needed to kill most common bacteria.
I'm just saying that it seems to be a common misconception that it cleans your hands. It doesn't, and if there was a more serious form of bacteria on your hands such as e coli, I'm not sure it would help. Its purpose is to help reduce the spread and the cold and flu, and it does that.

Latest posts