Herbicide help

Help Support CattleToday:

Mrcopier

Reaction score
I just bought 50 acres and have a variety of weed issues. I am most concerned with horse and bull nettle. I have sprayed 24D and it seem to have gave it a bloody nose for the most part. But I am afraid it wasn't a knockout blow. Would Grazon be better or do y'all recommend something else?

You are pretty late in the year to do much of anything. Some folks spray in the fall. I have always thought it was a waste of resources. Save your money and buy a good herbicide this winter to apply in March/April. GrazonNext is a good choice for a wide variety of weeds. Duracor might also be a good choice but I have no experience with it.
Do you own a sprayer?

Spraying in the fall is fine for weeds that have barely sprouted and will grow next year but it's too early for those. Probably a little late for this year's weeds.

I agree in
You are pretty late in the year to do much of anything. Some folks spray in the fall. I have always thought it was a waste of resources. Save your money and buy a good herbicide this winter to apply in March/April. GrazonNext is a good choice for a wide variety of weeds. Duracor might also be a good choice but I have no experience with it.
Do you own a sprayer?
I agree in being late but we have been so wet I haven't been able to do it Pryor to now. I have a 500 gallon rig with a batch sprayer on it

Duracor for horse nettle. It is tough to control and will require spraying every year for multiple years to get it under control. It may have already produced fruit (seed). Once the seed is made, I don't think a herbicide this year will affect next year's crop from new seed.

Duracor for horse nettle. It is tough to control and will require spraying every year for multiple years to get it under control. It may have already produced fruit (seed). Once the seed is made, I don't think a herbicide this year will affect next year's crop from new seed.
Unless you use Grazon which has a pre-emergent. But, as CB points out in other threads, it also stops grass seed from sprouting.

Nettle has a pretty extensive root system. That's why it's so hard to get rid of. Took me nearly 3 seasons to get rid of some that came in with some hay.
Remedy & 24d mix but it was isolated/concentrated in patches right around the hay rings.