help deciding on which grass.

Help Support CattleToday:

Don't know where your at in Tarkington , but if your anywhere close to Macidona , you have a type of crabgrass that grows there . Fed a many bale of the stuff . It grows there now because the dairy farmers that used to be in that area got it started, otherwise I would stick to the Bahia

Tarkington isn't far from Macdonia-- about 1/2 way between Cleveland and Dayton right off Hiway 321 and 105 junction.

greybeard":1nycmam8 said:
Tarkington isn't far from Macdonia-- about 1/2 way between Cleveland and Dayton right off Hiway 321 and 105 junction.

Correct GB , their were a lot of dairies in years past in that area.

papavillars":17fyfwu1 said:
Hey TB, I have been reading this thread and wondering what you suggest in my area.
Nut grass. :lol: :lol: :hide:

Papa I don't know that much about grasses but seems everyone is now switching at least in part to some of the newer bermuda strains. I hear of folks planting Jiggs, Tifton85 etc. All would probably work in your area but are a big more expensive to get started. I'm sure by now you guys have some bahia all around the area as well. If I had the equipment I'd love to experiment with planting about 50 acres of milo, fertilize it as recommended and then cut it and bale it when the seed heads were in the dough stage. Cattle love it and it cuts out pretty good too.

houstoncutter":2g7jcw6x said:
Great idea TB if you get the rain otherwise that could be a nitrate be nice
True but seldom a problem if planted early and get spring rains. Certainly wouldn't want to wait until June/July to cut it

Very true, in your part of the country you might be able to get it cured. In my neck of the woods you cant even get ryegrass cured most May weather.

I'm in west Ga with a mix grass of Tift 9 and Coastal. I've never had any issue with cows gaining on it. Some years the Bahia is stronger, some years the coastal flexes. I've got gamma and Johnson grass growing in the ditch and I hope it spreads. Mixed grass hay is hard to beat if it's cut in a timely fashion. Mine gets a ton of litter and a ton of lime every year....more lime every other year. Good to graze. And if I time the cutting right I get 9% hay. Not winning hay tests but she's fat when the calves come.

I am going to plant WW B Dahl next spring seen a few fields of it around me and it out grows tifton and jiggs in these dry summers we have with a lot less fertilizer and seeds aint to expensive the only problem is its hard to get started

ive been looking at that too but from what ive read you just throw it on the ground and it will grow...unless i got my wires crossed..

jamesntexas":1i83mxo3 said:
ive been looking at that too but from what ive read you just throw it on the ground and it will grow...unless i got my wires crossed..

the guys I talked to said to plow your field real fine in the fall then let it sit in the winter then come back spray it kill everything then plant it like middle to late April when the temp in day and night is staying above 70 and yeah you just drop the seed on top of the ground some use a drop seeder with an agitator in it to keep the seeds moving some built machines kinda like that to do it there are some people on here who have planted it if you search B Dahl grass they have post

Latest posts