Help breaking heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldest I've done is a five year old cow. Have done quite a few older than the usual age. I just do the same thing I do with the young ones, but take em a bit slower. Also I'm more inclined to tie older ones without food and water for a day or two then lead them to it. And once we broke a limo bull by casting him with ropes until he gave up. But I would say just take her slow and steady and you'll be fine.

What breed is the heifer? what's her disposition?

I've done a few 5-6 y/o cows... right now I'm working with an 8wt yearling... my favorite method is simply to halter and tie them. There's no way in the world I can out-muscle an animal that weighs many times my weight, and I'd rather they fight with the rope and a good solid post, than with me. :p

Generally, I find that if I make them stand tied for a short time every day, that within a few days they can be led without problems. The key, IMO, is getting them to respect the rope. If they respect the rope and if they think that every time they hit the end of the rope they won't be able to go anywhere (benefit of making them stand tied :p), then even if I'm leading them and they spook, they'll stop when the rope tightens - you're really just playing a mental game with them, and the trick is to never let them realize how big they are. ;-)

Most of the time, at least with the younger ones, I can lead them the first day, but I always, always wait until they're standing quietly and look like they've figured out the concept of pressure and release... if they're pulling back and digging their hooves in, they aren't ready to be led around. :lol: Once they understand how to release the pressure (loose lead) while they're standing tied, it's time to untie them and practice leading - in a small area.

Thanks so much, I am doing a yearling at the moment. She is going well. I show Gelbvieh cattle, and both the yearling and 2 year old will hopefully be going out this season. I have has a couple of years off, having babies, now it is time to get back to the cattle, normally they would be broken in long before now. The yearling seems nice natured enough, i have her in a small pen on her own, and she is coming over for her food. Only been in for one day, this morning, she ran at me, but pulled up before she hit me, i think she was bluffing. She's got her headcollar on full time, and she does seem to be respecting the rope when she stands on it. Thanks once again for the help, that gives me a bit more confidence now.