Halter breaking

Help Support CattleToday:

We messed around Sunday evening after church and got a rope halter on her while she was eating. I didn't do much with her, just wanted her to get her associated with it. I let her eat a while with it on and while I brushed her.

When she ran out of feed, I had my little boy pour her some more in a different trough and "led" her to it. She tugged a bit with me, but as soon as she came my way, I let the pressure off and we walked to the trough together. I felt like it was a successful evening. No rodeo, no dragging, no kicking or anything like that.. Gonna try and push her a little more this afternoon and see what we get.

A little update here for those that care.. Got the calf leading pretty good. She still wants to keep a little tension on the lead rope, but it's not like I'm dragging her. Every once on a while she'll want to pull and shake her head a little, but she's doing pretty good.

We have been using a rope/breaking halter.we are thinking about switching over to a regular halter. Do you guys put a regular halter on and then leave it? Or put it on and take it off every day?

I use a regular rope halter, the kind that tightens under their chin as you apply pressure and releases (pretty much one size fits all). For SHOWING, we use a leather halter. I do not use a "horse" type halter that stays on them.
Thank you for your input. This was our plan, just wanted to make sure it was a good one.

Every now and then I just don't have time to get one gentle before putting on a halter and will let them drag the lead, but I don't prefer it. Even a fresh calf that hasn't been around people much I get them in a small pen and start with a broom or show stick just to keep contact in their back until they quit running around then use it to give them a scratch. It may take a while to wear one down, but I want to be able to brush them and have them stand still before I ever halter them. Makes breaking them to lead easy and no need to let them drag the lead. Having the small pen and being able to get them into it easily is the key to gentling and catching them every day until they figure out they get brushed, combed, fed, etc. when the halter goes on. Cattle are smarter than a lot of people give them credit for.
Yes, they are incredibly smart, I've had show steers that can unlock our barn door and slide it open, and I have tons of other stories to show how smart they are but there's too many

B0989515-F101-4625-B2D5-D9B2B333D784.pngA8E43301-B899-44C9-A194-D4EB8802F901.jpeg
11415197-9000-4B54-845E-D219ACDA96A4.jpeg
So this is where we currently stand. I think we will get her out of the pen and see if we can take her on some longer walks. She still requires a little tug every once and a while, but it's not to the point of dragging her around. She wants to push on us a little while we are walking with her too. It's not a problem with me, but when my son leads her, she wants to push him around a little. Making progress none the less.

Latest posts