Halter breaking

Help Support CattleToday:

Hardin Farms

Reaction score
So I started weaning a big heifer last week. She is by no means "show quality", but she is out of one of my best cows as far as production and weaning weight. I am keeping her for a replacement. I got her up last week and wormed/vaccinated her and was impressed with how gentle she is. We are not ready to show, but my son is interested in it. I thought we might cut our teeth on this heifer. We have been hand feeding her for a week and rubbing on her, patting her and finally got a brush so we will start brushing her. She handles all of that extremely well. I even sat my daughter on top of her last night and she just stood there no problems. I am going to tie a rope halter on her and let a lead rope dangle for a few days and then tie her up. We will see where it goes! She may be a little big to be trying to halter break, but she's really gentle.

And yes, I know the kids need boots on... but I have been vocal about keeping their feet away from hers.
IMG_0091.JPGIMG_0053.JPG

Nice calf and younguns. That's quality time together for all of y'all. Having them halter broke and gentle is always a nice thing even if you don't wind up showing them.
That was my theory. This one won't ever see the show ring unless there is a local show and she is leading and standing extremely well and we just want to do it for experience sake.

And yes.. this has been fun seeing the kids take to her and be interested in what's going on.

Start breaking her to lead in a small pen 10x10 or so she can't get away and get a bad habit. Give a light tug on the lead and get her to at least turn her head and release the pressure immediately and comb her as a reward. When she can do that, ask for one step and immediately release pressure on the lead. Then ask for another step and work up to two steps and so on always releasing pressure on the lead as a reward. I can usually get a gentle calf to lead in a couple of 10 minute sessions. I don't tie them up until they know how to lead. They don't pull back and get sore heads and chins that way and it is a whole lot quicker and less stressful for the calf. It works on bigger cattle too.

Start breaking her to lead in a small pen 10x10 or so she can't get away and get a bad habit. Give a light tug on the lead and get her to at least turn her head and release the pressure immediately and comb her as a reward. When she can do that, ask for one step and immediately release pressure on the lead. Then ask for another step and work up to two steps and so on always releasing pressure on the lead as a reward. I can usually get a gentle calf to lead in a couple of 10 minute sessions. I don't tie them up until they know how to lead. They don't pull back and get sore heads and chins that way and it is a whole lot quicker and less stressful for the calf. It works on bigger cattle too.
Good advice and makes sense.. Reward the good behavior.

Would you recommend getting a rope halter on her and letting a short lead dangle for a few days? I have read a lot of people using this method. I reckon she steps on the lead rope and learns how to release the pressure. I am a newbie here, so my questions may seem elementary.

Every now and then I just don't have time to get one gentle before putting on a halter and will let them drag the lead, but I don't prefer it. Even a fresh calf that hasn't been around people much I get them in a small pen and start with a broom or show stick just to keep contact in their back until they quit running around then use it to give them a scratch. It may take a while to wear one down, but I want to be able to brush them and have them stand still before I ever halter them. Makes breaking them to lead easy and no need to let them drag the lead. Having the small pen and being able to get them into it easily is the key to gentling and catching them every day until they figure out they get brushed, combed, fed, etc. when the halter goes on. Cattle are smarter than a lot of people give them credit for.

Every now and then I just don't have time to get one gentle before putting on a halter and will let them drag the lead, but I don't prefer it. Even a fresh calf that hasn't been around people much I get them in a small pen and start with a broom or show stick just to keep contact in their back until they quit running around then use it to give them a scratch. It may take a while to wear one down, but I want to be able to brush them and have them stand still before I ever halter them. Makes breaking them to lead easy and no need to let them drag the lead. Having the small pen and being able to get them into it easily is the key to gentling and catching them every day until they figure out they get brushed, combed, fed, etc. when the halter goes on. Cattle are smarter than a lot of people give them credit for.
Thank you for the advice. I think as easily as she is to brush, rub and pat down, maybe ill be able to get the halter on her fairly easily and work with her this afternoon. we have been spending an hour or so every evening just being around her while we feed. She does have a little Brahman in her, so she could potentially lose it when I get her quartered up! she hasn't shown any signs of that yet though.

I like to let them drag a lead just because their body weight controls the tug and they learn to give and take without anyone being around. Some get it in their minds it is because of you. Now, with that said I would not use the rope halters that slide, if they come off they become a choking hazard. I use nylon halters with a junk rope tied on no knot at the back end so if it gets caught on something it should slide through. Then we start with leading to feed. I put stanchions in a part of the barn and then lock the calves in. End of the day we lead back to their pen and take off halters. 3 or 4 days of this then we lead to the outside water trough. (carry buckets of water at the beginning to them). They soon are leading well knowing good things happen. When you start brushing for the first times, we use a broom. No one is injured with a kicker. Keep blooming and rinsing with water hose and eventually they will generally quit kicking.

We used burro's back in the day. Tie the calf to the burro and be sure they are in a place where they can't hang themselves.
The effect of this is: the calf will not get to drink until the burro drinks first and the burro will not drink often enough to suit the
calf. The result is after the burro teaches the calf to show some respect the calf will follow the burrow and the lead rope will
not be tight. If all goes well you will be able to lead the heifer with a shoestring. It is usually best not to interfere with the
calf's education......... Good Luck....

I like to let them drag a lead just because their body weight controls the tug and they learn to give and take without anyone being around. Some get it in their minds it is because of you. Now, with that said I would not use the rope halters that slide, if they come off they become a choking hazard. I use nylon halters with a junk rope tied on no knot at the back end so if it gets caught on something it should slide through. Then we start with leading to feed. I put stanchions in a part of the barn and then lock the calves in. End of the day we lead back to their pen and take off halters. 3 or 4 days of this then we lead to the outside water trough. (carry buckets of water at the beginning to them). They soon are leading well knowing good things happen. When you start brushing for the first times, we use a broom. No one is injured with a kicker. Keep blooming and rinsing with water hose and eventually they will generally quit kicking.
Good advice! Ive rubbed around on her back side and down the back of her legs and around her feet. She hasn't offered to kick a single time. We are building a barn now and are kind of limited to what we can do regarding tying and penning up, but we are making it work.

We used burro's back in the day. Tie the calf to the burro and be sure they are in a place where they can't hang themselves.
The effect of this is: the calf will not get to drink until the burro drinks first and the burro will not drink often enough to suit the
calf. The result is after the burro teaches the calf to show some respect the calf will follow the burrow and the lead rope will
not be tight. If all goes well you will be able to lead the heifer with a shoestring. It is usually best not to interfere with the
calf's education......... Good Luck....
I have seen this before on YouTube. Looks like a great method. We have a donkey, but she's wilder than anything in the pasture, but I've never had coyote/dog problems and she has almost eradicated the thistles on my place. I reckon she eats the seed head off of them?

I like the pressure and relief/reward system. I bet she'll do fine.
I have some concern about all the dead hair that is evident. Do you have her on a good mineral program? If not, I'd suggest doing so. It will help shed that dead hair.
Good luck to you and your kiddoes!

I strongly agree with the small pen - never ever let her get in a position to get away. If she gets away, she knows she can always get away. If she never does, she "thinks" she can't. In a small area, even if she got the rope out of your hand, you can quickly get back into control and she doesn't know she got away.
Reward is best method. Don't ask too much right away. Like it was mentioned - turn of the head - 1 step - 2 steps. Walk to feed and/or water, once you feel you can. When you feel like you can tie her, let her see you put her food down across the little pen. Untie her & walk her to her feed. Have fun.

I like the pressure and relief/reward system. I bet she'll do fine.
I have some concern about all the dead hair that is evident. Do you have her on a good mineral program? If not, I'd suggest doing so. It will help shed that dead hair.
Good luck to you and your kiddoes!
I do have her on the same mineral program as the rest of my cattle and they seem to be doing fine. She has never slicked off like the rest of the calves that were born at the same tine as her. I was thinking she might have worms? I wormed her last week and was hoping to see a difference in her coat soon. I may get with my vet and see what he says about her. She is going to be 1/8 shorthorn, 1/8 brangus and 3/4 Angus. It seems like that shorthorn always shows up in her dams calves with that reddish coat and they are usually slow to shed it. I kept a full sister to this calf last year and she looked the same way, but she did shed a little sooner. I have some cows out of that herd every once in a while that still throw a roan calf.

I strongly agree with the small pen - never ever let her get in a position to get away. If she gets away, she knows she can always get away. If she never does, she "thinks" she can't. In a small area, even if she got the rope out of your hand, you can quickly get back into control and she doesn't know she got away.
Reward is best method. Don't ask too much right away. Like it was mentioned - turn of the head - 1 step - 2 steps. Walk to feed and/or water, once you feel you can. When you feel like you can tie her, let her see you put her food down across the little pen. Untie her & walk her to her feed. Have fun.
That is the plan. She is a little bossy, so I'll have to be sure she knows who's the boss. I should have a halter this weekend sometime, so we are gonna give it a whirl. I have my eye on a couple heifers from the herd now that I may start working with a little younger. I was hoping to halter break her and maybe use her calves for a few years to halter break and show.

Again, I don't intend on winning any awards with my cattle. I just want to teach my children responsibility and have them take pride in something.

Latest posts