Hello!

Help Support CattleToday:

Moonshine

Reaction score
I know little about cattle, but I'm reading up and learning fast.

I am an animal advocate and rescuer, although, its usually fish and lizzards, the occasional dog cat or rat. Anyway, I've been asking for a pet cow FOREVER, my bf, whom grew up ranching, ran across a group of six longhorns, all cows, that look pitiful.

Five got delivered 3 days ago, they are skin and bones, the sixth is ready to drop a calf and they decided not to move her.

I'm wondering how bad off they are, we have them on a large amount of low protein, upping the nutrition every few days, various blocks and feeds and Hays given at different times in different amounts, according to several ranchers plus a vet or two.

For instance, a normal ball Python shaped like a rain drop is ok, or wild, almost thin, a round ball Python, is overweight, an acute angle at the spine is emaciated. Where does a cow showing hips and spine fall on thiß scale?

These longhorn cows show all the bones in there body and spines, and hips. For animal that is ment to be able to not be fed, how smallof a lot would they have to have been on to get that bad?

And given how much water, and wierd temps weve hàd this year, we have crazy grass on our property right now, why did they not sell the cattle the year before?

Thx
Hope some of this makes sense!

Rescuer is a term that brings out lots of negative emotions. People capture cowdogs out of pastures and put them in pens and call it a "rescue". I call it theiving.

Cows are not pets.

You should never get a pet, or a cow, or any animal of any kind for any reason before you know how to care for it.

You cannot relate the care of a snake to the care of a dog or a cow or a horse. They are different. Different digestive system. Different eating.

None of us are perfect. You are in a good place to get information. Welcome to the forum. Please just understand that we actually care about cattle. We often "rescue" cows from people who thought they were buying pets.

And y'all need to go the Zoolanders school for people who don't read good.

Large capitol I, rescue reptiles. My boyfriend, is a cattle rancher, HE bought some longhorns at auction as a project for me, they are very emaciated.

I'm feeding them what I'm being told to, as I'm not the cattle rancher.

Now, anybody wanna take a crack at my questions again?

Any animal that has no monetary value or function, and is kept for your sole enjoyment, is a pet.

Moonshine":2y04yyg5 said:

I am an animal advocate and rescuer, although, its usually fish and lizzards, the occasional dog cat or rat. Anyway, I've been asking for a pet cow FOREVER, my bf, whom grew up ranching, ran across a group of six longhorns, all cows, that look pitiful. this Indicates it is a rescue mission

Five got delivered 3 days ago, they are skin and bones, the sixth is ready to drop a calf and they decided not to move her.

I'm wondering how bad off they are, we have them on a large amount of low protein, upping the nutrition every few days, various blocks and feeds and Hays given at different times in different amounts, according to several ranchers plus a vet or two.

For instance, a normal ball Python shaped like a rain drop is ok, or wild, almost thin, a round ball Python, is overweight, an acute angle at the spine is emaciated. Where does a cow showing hips and spine fall on thiß scale?

These longhorn cows show all the bones in there body and spines, and hips. For animal that is ment to be able to not be fed, how smallof a lot would they have to have been on to get that bad?

And given how much water, and wierd temps weve hàd this year, we have crazy grass on our property right now, why did they not sell the cattle the year before?

Thx

Where are you located and what are you feeding them ?? crazy grass means nothing to me. Large amount of low protein ?? what is that ?? Blocks feeds and hays ?? I don't know what this is either.

Does this school offer a course in sentence structure ??

Moonshine":3ryya442 said:
And y'all need to go the Zoolanders school for people who don't read good.

Large capitol I, rescue reptiles. My boyfriend, is a cattle rancher, HE bought some longhorns at auction as a project for me, they are very emaciated.

I'm feeding them what I'm being told to, as I'm not the cattle rancher.

I'm not sure what your questions are.
As to why they didn't sell them sooner is any bodies guess.
As far as feed if that is a question you stated you have gotten advice from several ranchers and vet's. That's what I'd go with. I'm not sure of your location therefore I'm not sure what feed stuff is available. I f they were mine and had lots of grass as you stated I'd supplement with cottonseed or cottonseed cake( range cubes) and good quality hay (not knowing what grass you have or it's value ) if available.
If they are bred and in real poor body condition as you indicated it's probably going to take quite a bit of feed to keep them going and raise a calf.

Good luck
If there are anymore question go ahead and post them some on here are very helpful

Moonshine":2j00t6na said:
Good luck getting new people on here, you'll need it.

Why?? because You received questions trying to clarify your situation?? because people that have been doing this all of their lives have seen other friends and neighbors seriously hurt or killed because they considered cows to be a pet.

You come here looking for answers and your boyfriend is a rancher but you think I'm being mean for telling you they are not pets. I could not give you my opinion of what I thought needed to be done with the vague questions you asked.

M-5":2szyw4u2 said:
You come here looking for answers and your boyfriend is a rancher

Maybe it is a trust issue.

The deck seems a little short and I have already spent to much time trying to figure it out. If I were capable of communicating exactly what was needed, it probably wouldn't be read.

We still don't know what part of the world these cows are in and no idea of what environment they came from. We understand that they are not like snakes. :)

Moonshine":2hfx19qj said:

Sure. They need worming. You are describing wormy cows. Perfect nutrition is lost if they cows have worms. Start by worming them and you'll need to do that a couple of times a year.

Moonshine":1hopgjkd said:

I am an animal advocate and rescuer, although, its usually fish and lizzards, the occasional dog cat or rat. Anyway, I've been asking for a pet cow FOREVER, my bf, whom grew up ranching, ran across a group of six longhorns, all cows, that look pitiful.

Thx

It was all right there! Lots of things don't add up. You have received sound advice from ranchers/vets for nutrition, your man is a rancher, and you're here asking for answers to questions that it seems you already have answers for. A couple of very knowledgeable folks on this board asked you some specific questions (more info means better answers) and you get butt hurt immediately. M-5 gave you the best piece of advice you might get as a someone new to cattle; cows are not pets(which your man should know better being a rancher). Not trying to be nasty to you, just trying to be honest and how it comes across. It is the internet, and I detest keyboard cowboys that are badazzes over the web, but wouldn't have the sack to look you in the eye, let alone spout off some ignorant, disrespectful bs to a person's face. Having said this, your post just came across as pretty defensive. I hope you stick around as there is a wealth of knowledge here...and with a handle like moonshine, you could fit right in here!

Make the moonshine and feed the longhorns the leftover mash and they will calm down real quick. Send the shine to me and I will see it is disposed of properly.
Sounds like a good worming and the grass you describe will be most of what they need. It takes time to make them look different when the bones are showing but given time they will improve well.

Longhorns in good condition look a lot different than other breeds. You're probably going to "see some bones".

Also, cows are not pets.

The average Longhorn is more "boney" than most average beef breeds.

Most folks (that are not familiar with cattle of any kind) see dairy cows and think they are starving to death.

I think Moonshine should copy the original post and her other posts over to Ranchers, where they are much much nicer in their replys. Be sure to include all the very detailed information you submitted here as well. ;-)