Newby here! Saying hello.

Help Support CattleToday:

CindyLea

Reaction score
Hello Folks, :pretty: :tiphat:

My husband and I are looking to start a cow-calf outfit in Northern Utah or Southern Idaho. Now, we live in a small rural city in North Eastern Utah. We want to have a place by the end of next year (2010).

We have family that ranches and farms in the area we have chosen, that is one of the reasons we choose that area. We also know that this is going to be alot of hard work. I have been researching anything and everything I can find related to agriculture. We are not complete newbs, we have both spent summers on farms, but never really got down to the nitty gritty. We were told to do this-do that; ok now you have to....

Anyway, we have nothing now. I have been looking for land in the area, and we may be able to buy/lease some off the family to get started. No equipment, no critters, nada. So, help me out here. I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the info.

What things do I HAVE to have from day one.
How do I choose which breed of cattle to run.
How do I know how many cattle I can run on my place.
How in the heck do I read a cattle market report?? I've looked at them from auctions in the area and I'm confused.
How many bulls per cows is a good ratio?
What about management software/accounting/record keeping?
Any links to info I can read up on?
Any do's and don't would be great!

Thank you all for helping out the newb!

Thank you! I've been all over this site! You folks have a wealth of info and wise offerings! I'll be busy reading before I post much more.

CindyLea":9r6qyr07 said:
Hello Folks, :pretty: :tiphat:

My husband and I are looking to start a cow-calf outfit in Northern Utah or Southern Idaho. Now, we live in a small rural city in North Eastern Utah. We want to have a place by the end of next year (2010).

We have family that ranches and farms in the area we have chosen, that is one of the reasons we choose that area. We also know that this is going to be alot of hard work. I have been researching anything and everything I can find related to agriculture. We are not complete newbs, we have both spent summers on farms, but never really got down to the nitty gritty. We were told to do this-do that; ok now you have to....

Anyway, we have nothing now. I have been looking for land in the area, and we may be able to buy/lease some off the family to get started. No equipment, no critters, nada. So, help me out here. I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the info.

What things do I HAVE to have from day one.
How do I choose which breed of cattle to run.
Look at what is most popular on the market: lately it's been Angus, Red Angus, Hereford (for British breeds) and Simmental, Charolais, Limousin and Brahman for the other Continentals. A commercial operation can run all of the above or only one or two in their crossbreeding program. Are you thinking of going commercial or purebred?
How do I know how many cattle I can run on my place.
Your local extension agent will have info for that on stocking rates, carrying capacity, etc.
How in the heck do I read a cattle market report?? I've looked at them from auctions in the area and I'm confused.
Can you be specific? What exactly are you looking at that is confusing you?
How many bulls per cows is a good ratio?
For mature bulls, it's 25-30; for yearlings, 15-20 though some yearlings can have more libido than others, same goes with the mature bulls.
What about management software/accounting/record keeping?
Cattlemax might be a good one, but there are others that other folks on here will let you in on.
Any links to info I can read up on?
Tons: do a Google search on "cow-calf operation" or "cattle handling" or "breeding beef cattle" or anything else you can think up of. There's lots of stuff to look up on here too.
Any do's and don't would be great!

Thank you all for helping out the newb!

Thank you for taking the time to post to me.

We are thinking of going commercial, maybe purebred in the future.

Extension Agent :shock: Blast! Why didn't I think of that. I'll have to look them up.

Market reports;
Salt Lake City, UT November 13, 2009 2008, USDA-Ut Dept of Ag Market News

Utah Direct Cattle Report Weekly Summary

Slaughter Cattle 1,800. Last Week: 1,775. Year Ago: 2,000.

Slaughter Steers and Heifers were 2.00 lower live and 3.00 lower on a dressed basis.
Holstein Steers were 2.00 lower live and 3.00 lower on a dressed basis, compared
with last week. Trading was slow to moderate.

Slaughter Steers: 1,000 Head: Choice 2-3 1100-1300 lbs 82.00-83.00; Choice Holsteins
62.00-63.00. Dressed Basis Choice 2-3 600-900 lbs carcasses 131.00-132.00; Holstein
carcasses 111.00-113.00.

Slaughter Heifers: 800 Head: Choice 2-3 1000-1100 lbs 82.00-83.00. Dressed Basis
Choice 2-3 550-800 lb carcasses 131.00-133.00.

Source: USDA-UT Dept of Ag Market News, Salt Lake City, Ut.
Phone (435-230-0402. )

That is cut and past of the latest report. I think it is telling me that they had 1800 head this week, and then the total head last week and a year ago. Choice 2-3 Is that the grade of beef?
1100-1300lbs, I assume to be on the hoof weights sold at 82-83 dollars per 100lbs?? So a 1100 lbs slaughter steer would be $902.00 to $913.00

Dressed weights, I assume to be carcass only? so a 600 lb carcass would have sold for 768.00 to 792.00. How do they determine carcass weights?

Thank you for the other suggestions, and info. I will look into the cattlemax software.

Before you have a single animal on the place, MAKE SURE that you have adequate handling facilities.
You can do a search on handling facilities on here to get some great ideas.

CindyLea":1ia924s2 said:
No equipment, no critters, nada.

What about fence and facilities? You need to make sure that you have things in place before the first cow comes home with you.

And..... :welcome: from GA

do a search on here for infrastructure, you'll get tons of good information

So.... you folks are telling me I can't just throw a few cows in a field and hope for the best. :shock: LOL

Oh yes, I know the critters ought to be the last thing to come on the place. LOL Almost like having kids. Gotta have all the baby stuff before baby gets here.

I've been looking around at pictures, and plans for setting up the handling, moving, calving, feeding, sick ward. I'll definately run a few searches around here to see how you folks do it.

Thank you for the info. You folks are great!

:welcome: from CA

...research, research, research...

...and then the darned animals will teach you some more. Good luck.

:welcome: from N.Y.
After you have facilities & fencing and you feel you are ready to start purchasing cattle, you might want to look at purchasing 3 in 1 packages (bred cow nursing a calf). That way, you don't have to worry about a bull (yet), you will have calves to sell in the fall without going through a calving "season".
Calving is the most rewarding/joyful/exciting and the most work/worry/disappointing. Get your feet wet with 3 in 1's.
Breed depends on what you want to do with your calves and what sells the best in your new area. Extension will also be extremely helpful with that. You can start attending beef seminars in your area now.

guess i am different. when i moved my cattle from pa. to mo. i just fixed the perimeter fence & dumped them in. for a while we would just have a little make shift corral & run them in a small cattle trailer to treat or vaccinate. all real corrals & head gates & barn came later as money dictates. guess i was born with the pioneering spirit & no quit

jerry27150":323v40ta said:
guess i am different. when i moved my cattle from pa. to mo. i just fixed the perimeter fence & dumped them in. for a while we would just have a little make shift corral & run them in a small cattle trailer to treat or vaccinate. all real corrals & head gates & barn came later as money dictates. guess i was born with the pioneering spirit & no quit
But, you were in a different situation - you already had the cattle & HAD to improvise.
Best to get fencing & facilities prior to cattle - if you have the option.

Latest posts