heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Could: I've had some not older than 3-4 months old conceive and give me a headache at the age of 12.5 months. This is why I started lute and dexing all replacement heifers at weaning.

Should: It all depends on the weight and/or size of the heifer. Most will shoot for the first calf at 24 months so turn the bull in around 15 months of age. I have bred some heifers at 12 months of age and had no problems but again they must be of proper size to avoid problems with calving etc.

In my opinion, 15 mos is the youngest they should be bred ~ as far as could be bred, we've all heard the stories. I think if you breed under 15 mos you compromise too much the growth potential of your heifer, and you are short changing the heifer (and her new calf).

angie":3kwoahj3 said:
In my opinion, 15 mos is the youngest they should be bred ~ as far as could be bred, we've all heard the stories. I think if you breed under 15 mos you compromise too much the growth potential of your heifer, and you are short changing the heifer (and her new calf).
I have heard of people breeding young with the intention of having smaller more efficent cows.
To answer the question I think only a pelvic exam could answer that on any given animal.

novatech":3429ug0b said:
I have heard of people breeding young with the intention of having smaller more efficent cows.
I have heard of people weaning at 4 months with the same intention. I think it is a poor practice though, either one.

angie":2kjv8bk8 said:
I'm not dead against you but you cannot use 15 months as your main criteria. If you heifers are exceptionally growthy they would be ready much sooner than 15 months. I don't agree with compromising the growth potential either. It has been my experience that heifers fed decent quality hay can and will grow out just fine when bred at proper size and weight. Like I said earlier I have had some 12 month old heifers that ended up being some darn nice heifers that produced like nobody's business.

novaman":2luwnlkt said:
Like I said earlier I have had some 12 month old heifers that ended up being some darn nice heifers that produced like nobody's business.
I believe that this is so. I have seen it work for other people, and I am glad it has worked out for you. What I am questioning is the assumption that you can change or alter genetics by altering environment. For example, you have a heifer at weaning that is a nice big healthy growthy heifer. You assume that because of her size, she can handle calving early. What kind of calf is she going to have though? Maybe a nice big growthy calf. If she were average size, you can assume she is going to have an average size calf. You cannot assume safely that a big growthy heifer is going to have a small, or even average, calf. See? You have altered her growth ~ but it will not change her genetic predisposition to having a larger calf, and she should be allowed to grow to her potential so that she can calf safely in the future.

And yes, I realize a bull is a factor ~ but just say that LBW does not transfer.

And I am not arguing, I am wondering out loud. If anyone has thoughts contrary to this, I would be interested in hearing them

angie":3tadfiic said:
novaman":3tadfiic said:
Like I said earlier I have had some 12 month old heifers that ended up being some darn nice heifers that produced like nobody's business.
I believe that this is so. I have seen it work for other people, and I am glad it has worked out for you. What I am questioning is the assumption that you can change or alter genetics by altering environment. For example, you have a heifer at weaning that is a nice big healthy growthy heifer. You assume that because of her size, she can handle calving early. What kind of calf is she going to have though? Maybe a nice big growthy calf. If she were average size, you can assume she is going to have an average size calf. You cannot assume safely that a big growthy heifer is going to have a small, or even average, calf. See? You have altered her growth ~ but it will not change her genetic predisposition to having a larger calf, and she should be allowed to grow to her potential so that she can calf safely in the future.

And yes, I realize a bull is a factor ~ but just say that LBW does not transfer.

And I am not arguing, I am wondering out loud. If anyone has thoughts contrary to this, I would be interested in hearing them
I understand what you are getting at. However, a growthy heifer doesn't have to have a high BW or throw high BW calves. I have lots of examples of small calves coming out becoming some of the quickest to reach the breeding pen.

I have to agree somewhat with the growthy heifers. Somewhat meaning it doesn't work all the time. You really don't know squat untill you get your arm in them.

novatech":1h7t95bk said:
You really don't know squat untill you get your arm in them.
Well novatech, I'm not typically a sissy ~ but I'm gonna take you at your word on that one then. :lol2:

Latest posts