Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

bncsimps

Reaction score
I have two 9 month old heifers. I don't plan on breeding them for another 6 months or so. However, when can I expect them to start cycling? I think I'm using the term correctly...but when will they come into heat? Thanks for the advice.

bncsimps":3clf9ha2 said:
I have two 9 month old heifers. However, when can I expect them to start cycling?

I'm a bit surprised they aren't cycling already. Would you mind telling us what breed they are? Thanks!

msscamp":59ucig3w said:
bncsimps":59ucig3w said:
I have two 9 month old heifers. However, when can I expect them to start cycling?

I'm a bit surprised they aren't cycling already. Would you mind telling us what breed they are? Thanks!

They are angus!

dun":1dxb5r1f said:
How sure are you tha hey aren;t cycling or even possibly bred?

I'm not. My bull made his way over the fence; I'm assuming helped himself to the goodies.What should I do if they are bred.

bncsimps":2i0uvjhr said:
dun":2i0uvjhr said:

I'm not. My bull made his way over the fence; I'm assuming helped himself to the goodies.What should I do if they are bred.

First get them palpated by someone that is competent. Second, depending on how far along they are you can either abort them or cross your fingers and be ready for possible problems at calving time

We pulled a dead calf a few weeks ago from a small heifer from the same scenario...calf was not too big...heifer was just too small. It was all my fault...just was not paying attention and by the time we noticed, heifer was too far along to abort. :(

I am thankful we did not lose the heifer. She is up and doing well but it was a scary event.

Don't wait...determine the condition and take action...the vet will tell you how to abort if required.

Van

dun":lt1pj7so said:
bncsimps":lt1pj7so said:
dun":lt1pj7so said:

First get them palpated by someone that is competent. Second, depending on how far along they are you can either abort them or cross your fingers and be ready for possible problems at calving time

I agree with dun, although I have some misgivings on the aborting part - mainly because that is not something I have any experience with. FWIW - young heifers calving is not an automatic receipe for disaster. Granted, it is not an ideal situation, but we had 2 heifers calve right around 12 months of age a couple of years ago - both of them needed help, but both of them raised a darn good calf given the circumstances. We creep fed both calves due to the age of the mothers, but the mothers finished developing, went on to take their place in the herd, and continued to deliver calves every year.