Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":iltw0sd3 said:
Sounds like you had great success. I've heard of skinning the calf, but I like the idea of making it into a tube.

I haven't grafter a calf onto a cow for many years, but when I did, I just took the afterbirth and rubbed all the "gook" all over the calf and tied it around it's neck. Anytime I have a cow/heifer that is not a good licker, I use O-No-More. It's a powder that you sprinkle on the calf. A cow cannot resist licking it.
I would never buy a calf and bring it on my farm during calving. You are taking a risk of getting all your newborns sick with the bugs the "stranger" calf has. Just because the new calf is healthy, doesn't mean it won't make your newborns sick. A healthy animal from another farm, carries bugs that it is immune to because of the exposure on their own farm. But, your cattle do not have the exact same bugs as another farm. Risky business as far as I'm concerned.

I know it has some risk , I have bought calves from this dairy for 3 yrs and I have not had any issues. Knock on wood.

True Grit Farms":12vetq4p said:
Nesikep":12vetq4p said:
Lost a good cow yesterday, I have an orphan now..
I've got him on 3 different cows, he'll learn to steal here pretty quick.. There are some distinct benefits to halter broke cows

That stinks, what happened? Looks like a really big calf?
Complications with RP, went off feed... Always calved easy (you turn your back and it's done).. That was Caddy, one of my better cows for sure, 12 years old.. Mother of my last homeraised bull.. I have 4 daughters and 3 granddaughters in the herd.. just had the first great grand calf..

Latest posts