Heifer with funny breathing

Help Support CattleToday:

badaxemoo

Reaction score
One of my heifers sometimes makes wheezing noises when she breathes and her breathing rate is often significantly more rapid that the other cattle.

This only happens when the temperature is above 70. On a few 90+ days last summer she would be breathing with her mouth open and panting heavily.

Her growth rate seems to be about the same as similar aged heifers and she got bred last summer. She seems to stay on her feed and act normally with the exception of the breathing.

Any thoughts on what is causing this? I bought her when she was one year old. I never noticed any coughing or illness in her - the heavy breathing just showed up when it got warm.

If she produces a good calf is there any reason to consider culling her?

Two things come to mind

One she could have lung damage-- I would sell her if thats the case. Eventually as she continues to grow and has calves her capacity will suffer.
Cattle have a very small lung compared to their size-- any impairment really hurts as they age.

Two- if it comes and goes it could be an allergy.Still would concider selling her.

Take it from a Respiratory therapist::: cull her, she will eventually develope COPD and will spend all her energy trying to breathe instead of developing her fetus or feeding her calf.
If she just has an upper respiratory infection, antibiotics might
fix her( secondary bacterial infection- antibiotics will not work
on viruses :x ) Just my thoughts ;-)

Sounds like lung damage to me. Lung damage does not get better with age and you may find her dead on a hot day. Breathing is part of a cows cooling system same as the radiator of a car. If your radiator is plugged with bugs, etc your car will eventually overheat & expire. Damaged lungs are plugged with scar tissue & abcesses. I would get her sold ASAP.

Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

Thanks for the advice.

It wasn't the news I wanted, of course. She's a nice looking registered heifer I was hoping to keep as a brood cow, but it sounds like she'll probably be chronic.

I should have gone with my gut and culled her last summer. Now I guess I'll wait and see if she can calve and get the little one weaned.

I assume calving and pregnancy also put an additional load on the respiratory system.

Thanks again.

just curious, did she have a bad case of pneumonia/respirtory problem earlier in life? i have been told that a bad case of respirtory problems can scar the lungs for life.

jt

"I assume calving and pregnancy also put an additional load on the respiratory system."

Yup--- putting her an on antihistimine MIGHT help her thru the bad days.

She's either had a bad case of pneumonia, or she has asthma. Will add; I think.

Latest posts