Heifer size for 14 months/breeding?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Saw a couple heifers my neighbor was selling to his wife's uncle today. 14 months old or slightly over, Angus cross heifers. At that age what weight do you like to see? These were considerably different than what we do, got wondering if I am doing something wrong?

tom4018":1sfhwuvh said:
Saw a couple heifers my neighbor was selling to his wife's uncle today. 14 months old or slightly over, Angus cross heifers. At that age what weight do you like to see? These were considerably different than what we do, got wondering if I am doing something wrong?

Depends on the pedigree, Tom. I produce some medium framed heifers that at 14 months go about 850. I got a heifer that I just AI bred a couple days ago out of a big frame cow that will go close to 1000. Mine are Simmental. I am not sure about Angus.

800-850 is where we try to be for replacements. I just thought those I saw were 1100 would end up being huge cows. We are trying to stay under 1500 for mature cows.

I had some calve at 18 and 19 months. Neighbor's bull jumped the fence and got to them young

Latest posts