Heifer showing sign of heat

Help Support CattleToday:

Hardin Farms

Reaction score
Got two heifer cows that are still showing signs of heat. (riding another cow...we call it bulling around here). They are both in good condition and have been with a bull for around 4 months. Just curious if they will still do this even if they are bread? I only notice it when they are in the feeding pen and pushing around to get to the trough. My bull doesn't really show any interest in them, so i'm not sure if shes really in heat or not. Any suggestions?

Signs of bulling aren't always signs of an empty cow. Our vet calls it an estrogen hiccup. When we preg checked this fall I had a few written down as probably empty because I had seen them bulling earlier, but they were in fact well bred.

Silver said:
Signs of bulling aren't always signs of an empty cow. Our vet calls it an estrogen hiccup. When we preg checked this fall I had a few written down as probably empty because I had seen them bulling earlier, but they were in fact well bred.

I hope that to be the case. Just for peace of mind, i may have them vet checked. Our vets handling facility is down right now, so it'll be another couple of weeks. At what stage do you generally have them checked?

We usually preg check in mid October, bulls turned out last week of May. Only test then because that's what works for weaning and shipping, not because it is a better time clinically. A lot of vets like testing at 3 months gestation now that they are using the ultra sound probes.

Just curious if they will still do this even if they are bread?
Occasionally yes. I reference it on their records. While not a deal breaker if they're indeed bred but I consider it abnormal behavior and a likely harbinger of a future fertility failure. YMMV.

Latest posts