Heifer not doing well post rumenotomy

Help Support CattleToday:

Notrbl2

Reaction score
Heifer calf born nov 2015
Textbook, never had issues. Weaned at 6 month age with no issues.

Then in early August 2016 she came down with pneumonia and we treated with a shot of draxxin. No relief and a week later she bloated and we took her to the vet. She spent 8 days at the vet and was tubed daily to relieve the bloat but each day it came back. She was also treated (successfully) for pneumonia.

After 8 days and over $800 in vet bills. The heifer was still bloated and we decided to bring her home.
We penned her for two weeks with a protein tub, coastal round bale hay and free access to clean water. No change. Stayed bloated so we turned her out on the pasture hoping more movement might help. No improvement.

After 5 weeks we took her to a new vet, hoping for another option. Heifer had a rumenotony. We brought her home after that.

Upon return home, we penned her with two other calves we were weaning. We cleaned the wound daily and gave LA200 weekly per vet instructions.

The heifer didn't appear to be doing well so after a week or so, we pulled the weanlings out of ten pen yo better monitor the heifers Intake. We realized she doesn't appear yo be eating much, if at all. She has access to free choice coastal hay/round bale, water, protein tub and calf starter feed. She doesn't touch the feed.

I assume she is eating coastal as she does cough occassionally and fibrous matter comes out of the rumen. When I clean the wound, I can see the hay/fiber in a large group/ball in the rumen. I have seen her pee but manure has been very little to nonexistent as of late. I did see her pass manure yesterday, it was a small amount and was firm.

I'm wondering if she is drinking enough to help her process the good properly. Or if too much fluid comes out of the hole in her side, making the manure firmer and harder to,pass.

Since she isn't eating well and is going down hill, I have started her on vitamin B shots. I also am rotating between nutridrench and a homemade drench (molasses, epson salts, yogurt and ACV)
When I drench her I also drench her with additional water, hoping to keep fluids going in her.

I have been doing this for only a few days. She mainly lies around but will get up if I make her. She is weak and wobbly and I'm trying to save her. We are on our last "hoorah" before we just euthanize her.

Tonight for the first time i saw her try to eat a few leaves off a plant/weed when I was giving her her shots. At this point it's 3 weeks post surgery and she's weak and relatively tamed so I can medicate her while loose in the pen.
Now I'm debating if we would be better off turning her out on the pasture, if there might be something in the pasture she will eat vs the coastal hay. She is weak and it's an 80 acre pasture with hills and uneven ground, I worry about her getting around out there. Pick your poison... Penned on level ground and not eating much or perhaps turn her out and see if she will eat the fresher grasses?

At this point, aside from letting her ho, is there anything you would add or do differently?? I'm over $1100 in vet bills so far so I'm nit thrilled about continuing to haul into a vet. At a point I have yo turn off the emotions and be business minded (i may have passed that point)

I think you said it best in the last sentence. You've already spent OVER what she would bring at a sale barn, and she has not gotten any better.
Let's say that she would bring $1100 at the sale barn healthy. Add in the $1100 in vet bills, and you are at $2200. How many calves do you have to sell to recoup that profit at today's prices??? IF you profit $100/calf you'd have 22 calves to sell just to get to flat from this one.
I am a "hobby" farmer in the sense that I have a full time occupation, but I TRY to look at things this way as much as possible to keep the cattle operation going.

I think I'd just turn her out and see if she survives on her own devices. I have been surprised on occaisions how they have come good without the interference. I would keep a close eye on her and shoot her if she is obviously not coping. She would not be worth anything at the moment, you have already done your dough on her, I would not throw more money at her.

Ken

I'd cut your losses. Sounds like a chronic lunger, bloats because of her lung damage (enlarged lymph nodes pressing on the vagus nerve), probably has peritonitis or at least adhesions now........there's the fixable category and the not fixable category. From the sounds of it, she's in the latter.

Latest posts