Calf not nursing

Help Support CattleToday:

dave_shelby

Reaction score
Another newborn not nursing question. Had a calf born this evening that stood but never nursed, just dancing around cow. Suspect longer labor as cow looked like she was ready this morning before work. After two hours got momma and calf in barn, still not nursing. Tried bottle feeding. Inspected mouth and no cleft palate. Tried tube feeding but could not get it down it was like a wall in throat after he swallowed bulb at end of tube. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Another newborn not nursing question. Had a calf born this evening that stood but never nursed, just dancing around cow. Suspect longer labor as cow looked like she was ready this morning before work. After two hours got momma and calf in barn, still not nursing. Tried bottle feeding. Inspected mouth and no cleft palate. Tried tube feeding but could not get it down it was like a wall in throat after he swallowed bulb at end of tube. Any ideas?
If cow is accepting it just leave them alone if it wont suck and you cant tube feed it.

Has mama cleaned? I ask because that is a good indication of oxytocin levels post calving. A long strenuous labor can hinder oxytocin levels and in turn milk let down in dam. Additionally long labours sometimes make calves a little slower to open mouth and get to work, right idea but not making the right connections. In these situations we always give a bottle, usually just a litre, just enough to give mom a break, teach calf a little nursing skills and gives the calf nutrients but not too much so it will want to try again. Especially if we can't be there to watch we know it's had a bit to buy us some time for other things. If calf is weak we tube otherwise bottle every time on the first attempt. Sucking puts milk right into the abomasum where it go right to work warming calf etc and you bypass the rumin which is best. And after long labour, hard pulls we give a shot of oxytocin. Oxytocin is a prescription drug so vet relationship needed here in Canada. As for the wall in throat…I am not sure…if the calf swallows the bulb you are positioned right, sometimes a slight pull back, ever so slight, so bulb stays past that swallow point will often work. Your end can be up against the stomach wall. Additionally you may need to slightly unscrew your cap to create flow. Hard to say when not feeling what you are feeling but I know these were tips we gave our kids when they were learning. Last week we had a heifer calve and she was standing but calf not getting it. So got bottle after some time of not much success. He sucked only a cup from the bottle and seemed pooped so left him for a bit while I checked another. He got himself up again. Returned 10 minutes later he had it figured out - "open my mouth grab the teat get milk"!!

Last edited:
Momma cleaned it off well and the calf didn't take long time to get up maybe 10-15 minutes.

I looked at tube and there are some burrs from when a calf chewed on it previously. Time for a new one.

Appreciate everyone quick response.

Has mama cleaned? I ask because that is a good indication of oxytocin levels post calving. A long strenuous labor can hinder oxytocin levels and in turn milk let down in dam. Additionally long labours sometimes make calves a little slower to open mouth and get to work, right idea but not making the right connections. In these situations we always give a bottle, usually just a litre, just enough to give mom a break, teach calf a little nursing skills and gives the calf nutrients but not too much so it will want to try again. Especially if we can't be there to watch we know it's had a bit to buy us some time for other things. If calf is weak we tube otherwise bottle every time on the first attempt. Sucking puts milk right into the abomasum where it go right to work warming calf etc and you bypass the rumin which is best. And after long labour, hard pulls we give a shot of oxytocin. Oxytocin is a prescription drug so vet relationship needed here in Canada. As for the wall in throat…I am not sure…if the calf swallows the bulb you are positioned right, sometimes a slight pull back, ever so slight, so bulb stays past that swallow point will often work. Your end can be up against the stomach wall. Additionally you may need to slightly unscrew your cap to create flow. Hard to say when not feeling what you are feeling but I know these were tips we gave our kids when they were learning. Last week we had a heifer calve and she was standing but calf not getting it. So got bottle after some time of not much success. He sucked only a cup from the bottle and seemed pooped so left him for a bit while I checked another. He got himself up again. Returned 10 minutes later he had it figured out - "open my mouth grab the teat get milk"!!
I salute this giving the calf just a small amount about a litre is often a good idea I think in this situation when you aren't sure wether the calf has sucked or not as it means the calf gets some nutrition and won't die and maybe learns how to suck but also means the calf is still hungry and will hopefully go wondering for the natural milk dispenser. Otherwise if you feed it too much the calf gets full lies down, mum feels obsolete and pissed, calf might start seeing you as the milk person and you have potentially interrupted the natural order of things.

No poop, fits are a bit shiny but could be because of where she laid. 10 hours until it hits 24.
We have mamas that eat their calf poop and lick things clean. What a pain when you don't know for sure. We have some cows where the calf doesn't need to be on for long - she is a fast milker. "Stealth nurser" goes in the calving records. If calf is upright (on sternum), eyes look good (not sunk in or dull), has a good suck reflex (two clean fingers test) then I would say calf is fine. Additionally, if mom is content all is likely well. Most of our mamas get irritated, bawl and are not their usual content selves if they are not suckled. But if you are still worried and feel something is wrong perhaps an intervention is needed and that puts you back to a bottle (preferred so calf knows he has to work, suck and find again) or tube feeder (weak calf syndrome). I have heard of guys separating mom and calf and when they reunite well picture is telling - personally I have never tried this or had the need…but could see this as an option in the toolkit. Good luck…to me sounds like you have a "stealth nurser".

I did see it urinate twice, thats it. Mamma might have cleaned the rear. She is a bit stirred up but its hard to say when a cow is in a barn alone and I am around. Does suck some on the two finger. I tried tube feeding this morning with a little colostrum and a new bag and couldnt get it down. Never had that before.

My thinking is that if it is sucking on fingers, it hasn't nursed.
I have had a few over the years that seemed like when you'd go to tube them it would get just a little ways and it felt as though it was blocked.
It's been a while, I think I just kept gently trying. Ideally I'll put some mineral oil on the tube, my wife has improvised with vegetable oil. It's a delicate balance I try not to force it down but put a little pressure and work with it as gently as possible. I think I've eventually got the tube down all but one.
There's a possibility that it might take a bottle if it sucked on your fingers. I'm suspecting though that it may not take much from a bottle but maybe it would at least get a little if you can't get the tube down.

If the calf won't accept food you offer, I would stop offering food. You are only aggravating yourself. Keep observing the calf. If it appears dehydrated, get the calf to a vet clinic asap.

Calf need colostrum within 6 to 8 hours or immunity levels are compromised big time. Tube the calf! Our old vet had us put calves that had no suck on Trivetrin for three days. His reasoning was that these calves have a meningitis type of infection on their brain… Most suck after the first shot.
Previously, we have had calves that we tubed for several days before they finally figured things out.
You see and learn after several thousand calvings.