Heifer in labor

Help Support CattleToday:

Just curious on your location and the vet you called.
All the decient vets get real busy this time of year. Sometimes they can talk you thru a problem on the phone a lot sooner than they can get to your place.
Not too many large animal vets that make farm calls in ohio anymore. Better luck next time.

Like the others said, don't be afraid to get slimy to figure out what the problem might be.

Sorry for the loss.We all been there, those that don't give up will be again. :lol:

Chin up, even though you can't put an exact dollar figure on it, your experience level just leaped up a level or 2. And maybe if you could put a dollar figure on it you would be surprised at what your experience was worth.

You did the right thing watching your animal, detecting the labour and asking for help. :)

jkwilson":2l2347ci said:
ljV":2l2347ci said:
If you don't learn from your mistakes, how do you learn? That is why I joined this forum. Hoping to learn even more.

I've always been told that "A wise man learns from the mistakes of others." I've also been told that an expert is someone who has made every mistake possible in his field.

I am no expert, but I am finding it difficult to find a "new" mistake. My biggest challenge now is to remember all my past mistakes in order to not repeat them.

Bez!

Bez!":2ux8tz9o said:
I am no expert, but I am finding it difficult to find a "new" mistake. My biggest challenge now is to remember all my past mistakes in order to not repeat them.

Bez!

That's the beauty of age, you get to make the same mistakes over again and get to learn something new. Kind of like hiding your own easter eggs.

dun

Dun - how true!

I am not "sorry for the loss" - it is a dead animal and it is not a beloved relative.

Too bad the danged thing died - way it goes - is more like it.

What concerns me is the comments like "stage 1 labour" and we thought it was "stage 2 labour" - from the other post on this topic.

I have been around a long time - I guess I am really stupid - never heard thise terms. Always heard - "she'll be calving soon. If you happen to be in the field - keep an eye on her"

When the animal's water breaks it is time to stand by.

Books seem to talk about some of this stuff - but a few questions a few days ago might have made a difference. Best ask before the event in future. Especially a neighbour that has cattle and lives close by if you are a newbie.

Books also are only as good as the author.

Lucky you did not have to shoot the cow as well.

Bez!

ljv - You have the correct attitude. You are willing to learn. We all make mistakes, and that is how you learn. Give all these things that happened today a lot of thought, and consider what you could have done. - then if and when it occurs again you will be ready to act before it is too late. You might do some thinking in retrospect and see if the bull you used was too big for the heifer, of if her BW EPD was not conducive to calving ease. Read up on calving technics, and see if you can determine what went wrong, and what you should have done. That way you will have confidence in yourself the next time. It is more important for a small breeder to know EVERYTHING that they can because the percentages are so much higher if you lose ONE calf.

We've all been there before, and it isn't fun. Don't feel guilty - just learn and feel positive.

DOC HARRIS

Bez, all the articles you read now a days refers to the "stages" of calving. Stage 1 is when she is restless - blah blah, Stage 2 is when the calf enters the birth canal, and Stage 3 is parturition.
I agree, "she's going to calve" and when "she has the water sac" we'll give her 1 hour.

Latest posts