Heifer foundered?

Help Support CattleToday:

cornstalk

Reaction score
Hey all!

New to this board. Have been browsing for sometime now, and enjoy the abundant information.

I have a question. Recently I purchased 7 registered Angus Heifers. (1st time calvers), they are due to calve in March. I purchased them from a fellow who had been feeding them primarily a silage legume mix.

The first 3-4 days I had them, they got nothing other than wild hay, a mineral block, and of course a good water source. I slowly worked them into about 2-3lbs of cracked corn per day, along with the hay. They've been doing real well now for the past week.

Today I noticed one of the heifers is walking a little stiff in her hind end. I think she may be foundered? I cut the corn way back today,.....so the whole group only got about 1lb apiece.

Any suggestions from anybody on the best way to handle this situation? I want to do things right, I'm pretty proud of these critters. :lol:

Thank you for any help!

Ryan

If you slowly increased the ration of corn, she shouldn't have foundered. Unless she's a pig and can outeat all the others in the bunk. Also, in my experience the cows founder on the front feet first. Maybe she stepped on something? Fell and pulled something? Was bulling and was ridden by one of the other heifers?

first of all...Welcome, and hi neighbor! I have to agree, with a gradual increase of corn like that, founder sounds highly unlikely, a small case of acidosis (sp) will cause bloat, or otherwise an "upset stomach". I would watch her walk and try to see if it appears to be a sore toe, hip, back, etc. She may have just stepped on something, cracked a hoof.....??? If you are feeding them corn everyday are they in a lot? Is it dirt or cement? Provide some straw or something for bedding.

Thanks everyone for the input on this one. I am glad to hear you also find it unlikely that this heifer is foundered. I was so darn careful during the feed transition period,......just for this reason.

These heifers are on a dirt/grass lot. It is possible that she could have stepped on something. Although I have been working on cleaning this particular lot up, there are a few things within the trees that she could have stepped on.

I'll keep a close eye on her.

Dee:

A fellow south dakotan! From which part of the state do you hail?

Thanks again,

Ryan