Heifer Calf not growing

Help Support CattleToday:

JacquiFeasey

Reaction score
Hi, I'm from South Africa. We are newbies to calf raising. Bought our first calves about 9 months ago, all bulls, at a local auction. They were all about 4 weeks of age. Successfully bottle raised them, weaned at 3 months. Growing nicely. Then there was this.. We bought 6 heifer calves mid August lost 2 within the 1st week to scours. 3 of the girls are growing beautifully. 1 heifer calf also got sick with scours in the 1st week after arrival, we managed to pull her through. Since then she is not growing, not putting on any weight at all. Has no interest in hay, pasture or calf starter pellets. Only interested in her milk which is fed 3x a day since she is not putting on weight. She is 9 weeks old, but looks like a 2 week old. Had the vet out. He says to cull her. She's not worth it. Have dewormed 2x already. Her stools are loose, but not runny. I don't want to put her down, but what else could be wrong??? Heifers are all Holstein.

If her guts are scarred from something like coccidiosis, ( scours one of the main symptoms) she might not grow well...
But if that is not the problem, it might be her lack of interest in feed other than milk...

My first thought was maybe some weird African parasite.
I'd listen to my local vet before someone online living on another continent.
:welcome: to the boards.

p.s.
What breed?
Do you have access to any horned white rhinos?

take her back to the auction and be thankful you'll get something back other then a corpse.

Latest posts