Heifer + 112 lb calf = crappy night

Help Support CattleToday:

2/B or not 2/B

Reaction score
The heifer is still down. She can sit up and crawl but not stand yet. We're hoping she will make it so we can at least say we saved her, we lost the calf. She's a big girl but the calf was huge. There was no room to feel around and I wasn't sure if we'd be able to get the shoulders, but we did. He was thick with heavy boned legs and a huge head. So when we finally got the shoulders, I figured we'd be okay, but the hips were worse. We use nylon straps and pull by hand, which is fine for an easy pull but a total body workout on a hard pull. My back, arms, legs, everywhere is sore today. When we couldn't make progress with the hips, we used a come along.(Can someone explain how this is different, better, worse than using a ratchet puller? I've never used one and those who have helped us with pulling in the past always used a come along too.) Once the calf was out, we weighed him. My husband, who was out of gas, couldn't believe how heavy he was. Anyway, I wish one of you was my neighbor and could have been here. We got him out and did the best we could but it would have been nice to have some moral support. It was a pretty crappy night for everyone.

Thanks E, I know we call things differently in different areas so if it makes a difference I should clarify that by a 'come along' I'm referring to a basic ratchet tool used for a wide variety of things, like tightening fence. One end hooks onto the OB straps or chains and the other has to be attached to something stable, in our case, the parked quad. A 'ratchet puller' specifically for pulling calves leverages against the cow, I think.

2/B or not 2/B":6exa1xnf said:
Thanks E, I know we call things differently in different areas so if it makes a difference I should clarify that by a 'come along' I'm referring to a basic ratchet tool used for a wide variety of things, like tightening fence. One end hooks onto the OB straps or chains and the other has to be attached to something stable, in our case, the parked quad. A 'ratchet puller' specifically for pulling calves leverages against the cow, I think.
You are correct, it leverages aginst the cow. The advantage of the calf puller is the ability to use the leverage at the end of the calf puller to push down. It keeps the calf in a better position and is easier on the calf when clearing shoulders and head.

Oh, and sorry to hear about the ruff night. That is a huge calf for any cow, much less a heifer. Was she purchased bred? Or bred by one of your own bulls? Any more to worry about?

Thank you, Isomade. We positioned ourselves to be pulling downward when we were working on the hips but I can see how a puller would be great to use, especially if we had her in the chute. She was bred by our RA bull. His bw was 71 and his CED is high. Most of his calves have been small to medium. That said, we've had 2 big calves out of him including this one. I think the high bw came from the heifers. They're shorthorn, which I love, but I've had a hard time finding the "right kind" of shorthorn in my area. This heifer's bw was 89 lbs, which in our herd would be considered very large for a female calf. Yes, we're expecting more calves from him although I don't anticipate more problems. Knock on wood :roll:

It sounds like she has calving paralysis.

I have a product in the fridge called Key. If you kick a cow and she doesn't get up you are supposed to inject her with that.

Other than that she needs to be 'lifted' three times a day for half an hour. There is a device that you can get that fits over her hips and attaches to a front end loader.

and by using the word 'need', I mean that they will die if it is not done. Just what I have been taught.

I sincerely hope she is up the next time you go out to her.

She's not up yet, but I think she's improving. She is rotating herself from side to side. You can tell which rear leg she's having trouble with, but we did see her moving it which is a good sign. She can almost get it under her properly to stand up, but not yet. She's had some hay and water and I too hope she'll be up soon.

Roadapple":1cp79eeq said:
Next time try rotating the calf a quarter turn, for the hips.

I was just going to suggest that.

Contrary to what Suzie Q said, she won't die if you don't get her on her feet every three times a day or even every day. We've had them down for over a week and we didn't get them up at all. We did rotate them side to side at least once a day, though. If you can lift her though, it would be a good thing. Sometimes they can get up on one side, but not the other, so that is some thing to think about. An anti inflammatory might be a good idea, if she has some swelling that is causing the pinched nerve, it will reduce it and maybe she will be able to get up. One other thing, if she is on a slippery (cement) surface, you might want to move her. If she does get up on cement or some other slippery surface, and her legs aren't working right, she is liable to do the splits, if that happens, that is it for her. Trust me I've seen it happen.

Thanks, roadapple and randiliana. We did try rotating him but it was a tight fit, slippery, and a bit like working with a noodle. It was not an experience I'd like to repeat. :(

We had a heifer down for several days in the past. It's been a long time since we lost a calf and it's never pleasant. The anti inflammatory is a good idea. I can't imagine how bruised and sore she must be. I did give her 2 afterbirth boluses and will do the same again today. She passed the placenta quickly.

2/B or not 2/B":3rp4v6dm said:
I should clarify that by a 'come along' I'm referring to a basic ratchet tool used for a wide variety of things, like tightening fence. One end hooks onto the OB straps or chains and the other has to be attached to something stable, in our case, the parked quad. A 'ratchet puller' specifically for pulling calves leverages against the cow, I think.

Pull angle is important. If you are pulling with a come along - - sometimes it helps to tension it up and then stand on the cable to get a downward angle pull.
Sounds like you really like the SH heifer... but based on the calf size she may not be good cow herd prospect.

If she's weak and slipping/sliding, I'd hobble her. In my opinion it helps them steady their weak side by binding it to the strong leg. They can use the good leg to much better advantage. It will keep them from getting the splits as well.
As far as pulling, I don't do that much anymore, thank God, but what I learned was to use pulleys and a long cotton rope with some stretch. We had a pulley mounted to the bottom of a post behind the squeeze chute for a downward pull. We'd hook onto the calf and run the rope back to that pulley and if need be back through another one behind the cow. Between the stretch in the rope and the strength of using pulley's, one strong guy could pull an elephant calf out of a dexter cow without tearing the cow since it was a steady pull with no ratcheting. I know of two vet services that have since caught wind of that trick that are employing it on a regular basis.

cow pollinater":q9k1lmka said:
We had a pulley mounted to the bottom of a post behind the squeeze chute for a downward pull. We'd hook onto the calf and run the rope back to that pulley and if need be back through another one behind the cow. Between the stretch in the rope and the strength of using pulley's, one strong guy could pull an elephant calf out of a dexter cow without tearing the cow since it was a steady pull with no ratcheting.

That is a really good idea. I'm almost tempted to install a system like this, certainly cheap enough to do. Been quite a few years since needing to pull one (hopefully I haven't jinxed myself now) but this could be one of those deals where it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Katherine

If you might think about buying a puller look at one that has a different pull position for each leg. Pulls one leg with a backward ratchet movement and the other leg with the forward motion. Seems to make it a lot easier for the calf to come out.

Stocker Steve":2vuksmr8 said:
2/B or not 2/B":2vuksmr8 said:
I should clarify that by a 'come along' I'm referring to a basic ratchet tool used for a wide variety of things, like tightening fence. One end hooks onto the OB straps or chains and the other has to be attached to something stable, in our case, the parked quad. A 'ratchet puller' specifically for pulling calves leverages against the cow, I think.

Pull angle is important. If you are pulling with a come along - - sometimes it helps to tension it up and then stand on the cable to get a downward angle pull.
Sounds like you really like the SH heifer... but based on the calf size she may not be good cow herd prospect.

Hmm, I wouldn't worry about her after this. It has been my experience that if they can deliver (pulled or not) a big calf they probably won't have trouble again. Providing of course that she gets up and rebreeds after all this.

cow pollinater":3pd77o4s said:
As far as pulling, I don't do that much anymore, thank God, but what I learned was to use pulleys and a long cotton rope with some stretch. We had a pulley mounted to the bottom of a post behind the squeeze chute for a downward pull. We'd hook onto the calf and run the rope back to that pulley and if need be back through another one behind the cow. Between the stretch in the rope and the strength of using pulley's, one strong guy could pull an elephant calf out of a dexter cow without tearing the cow since it was a steady pull with no ratcheting. I know of two vet services that have since caught wind of that trick that are employing it on a regular basis.

Wow, this is a good idea. Thanks!

randiliana":3fztl9u4 said:
Stocker Steve":3fztl9u4 said:

Hmm, I wouldn't worry about her after this. It has been my experience that if they can deliver (pulled or not) a big calf they probably won't have trouble again. Providing of course that she gets up and rebreeds after all this.

100_4280.jpg

Well this is the heifer, yesterday before the delivery. She's larger than she appears in this distant photo. I do really like her and was hoping that what Randi said runs true, if she recovers completely that is.

100_3971resized.jpg

Another bull calf from this season.

100_4292resized.jpg

2 year old heifer, also due to calve

100_4278.jpg

RA cow and 6 mo. old heifer calf

Workinonit Farm":123vlknp said:
Been quite a few years since needing to pull one (hopefully I haven't jinxed myself now)

I did :frowns: :oops: .

Glad I came home from work early. Long story short, this cow's 3rd calf, was a fairly easy pull but needed pulling. Bull calf, he's a little 'slow' and a bit bigger than her previous 2 calves. Hopefully he'll make it.

Unfortunately a pully at the chute wouldn't have helped in this case, that cow was down and not about to get up, however, with a quick glance around the cluster of cedars and pines where she was, I did think about running a rope around the base of one of the trees below her in order to get the same effect as the pulley at the base of a post. Didn't need to though.

2Bor not 2B, how's the cow doing now?

Katherine