Heavy bred cow price

Help Support CattleToday:

Getting a second calf is mostly about feed.

Those running age cows must be part Brimmer and calve into their 20s to make a good profit.
I don't know what a Brimmer is, but yeah, they go for that much money. And we rarely see cows under 1500 lbs. anymore, so there is some salvage value. Still -- too rich for my blood. People got too much money, that's the problem!

That $519 cow would be my cheapest cow of the bunch. #13 was $580, #14 was $600, #25 and #40 both cost $700. All 5 have calves on the ground. The highest price cows here this year cost $1,560 That was times 130 head that were all 3 and 4 year olds. Same guy sold 83 bred heifers that brought $1,350 which was the highest priced heifers I saw.
There are some out here that would make another calf but I am pretty cutthroat when doing this deal. Come the middle of August they will all get a trip to the plant. Next winter I will start with a new bunch.
Man, that's getting bred cows way below kill price. Rare thing up here.

Getting a second calf is mostly about feed.

Those running age cows must be part Brimmer and calve into their 20s to make a good profit.
I see some folks in SC North Dakota bringing cows in from the Minnesota side. Would like to find something that didn't cost as much as what we have to pay. Maybe it's just the low overall beef numbers in N.D.

I see some folks in SC North Dakota bringing cows in from the Minnesota side. Would like to find something that didn't cost as much as what we have to pay. Maybe it's just the low overall beef numbers in N.D.
Old or droughted out cows come east. We have soft grass and hobby ranchers to baby them along.

Bred heifers and young cows go west when it rains.

Man, that's getting bred cows way below kill price. Rare thing up here.
I averaged $657 a head at 1,207 (?) pounds. Purchased Nov 11 to Jan 21. At that point kill cows were 50-54 cents so I was just a touch over kill price. Kill price is now over 60 cents with the top in the 70 cent range. That and grass is getting close. These cows would cost a lot more today. Also these cows aren't as big as you talk about. Nothing over 1,400 and only 3 of them over 1,300. The majority are right about 1,200 with only a few at 1,100.

Our "small" cows are 1300 to 1400 pounds. Are cows still getting bigger?
I think they are still getting bigger. People actually brag on how big they are. North Dakota does have the cheapest hay in the country, but that doesn't mean there's a lot for sale. I'm going to look at a Pharo Bull this year. Will breed all my heifers 30 days. Taking 11 in for ultra sound on Thursday. Last week at Napoleon quality bred heifers were bringing $1500-$1725. Heaviest of these Red Angus weighed 1181 (so they are going to be pretty big cows).

I averaged $657 a head at 1,207 (?) pounds. Purchased Nov 11 to Jan 21. At that point kill cows were 50-54 cents so I was just a touch over kill price. Kill price is now over 60 cents with the top in the 70 cent range. That and grass is getting close. These cows would cost a lot more today. Also these cows aren't as big as you talk about. Nothing over 1,400 and only 3 of them over 1,300. The majority are right about 1,200 with only a few at 1,100.
Well, we are no place near green grass, but did have a 70-degree temperature switch this week. :)

Prices from last weekend

Attachments

• 9DB16867-BA9D-4D38-BE20-23AF05919788.png
    9DB16867-BA9D-4D38-BE20-23AF05919788.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Latest posts