hearing loss

Help Support CattleToday:

Severe hearing loss for 25years, bad tinnitus.

Several hearing exams x rays, scans. Surgery for replacing fused bones, or coclear implants, I voted no. Who wants an audio implant and be possible next Mc!?!
Settled for hearing aids, 6k for set and a doodad to tether to my phone, can adjust with phone and stream podcasts, phone calls direct.. Plus I can turn off at anytime and be as deaf as I want to be.

Good luck

My ears ring terrible. I have a hard time hearing some tones, yet, I can hear a cabinet open from the other end of the house....lol Most times I can tune the ringing out, but sometimes its just so loud. I keep a TV going all day just to drown it out. I hate quiet rooms, they aren't quiet to me. Too many years on machinery. I cant hear you if your head it turned away from me, I have to see your mouth move. I just forget about hearing with tons of background noise, music is the worst. I'm kinder to my ears now, hope they hold out another 50 years. I really don't want a hearing aid.. My FIL has one now and he has nothing but trouble out of it, although, I think its more of a honeydew problem..MIL is kind of bossy...He seems to hear fine when he wants to...lol

Txpiney":3o9ljnkz said:
I have worn hearing aids for the last 3 years. They help me a lot, but are hard to get used to initially. They also help with the tinnitus. I have all the symptoms described without the hearing aids in. Good ones are not cheap. Mine were a little cheaper to buy since my wife is a licensed hearing aid dispenser and owns her own business :D
You say good ones are not cheap.
About how much is not cheap?

pdfangus":3mza0y8u said:
I am seeing prices of 2 to 3 grand
Yes, and higher. I don't need one but a good friend of mine did and it was close to $5000 by the time it was all 'tuned up' and everything.

A cousin, 10 years older than me, visited for the Eclipse, back in August... and left her hearing aid on the bed.
I looked at it and said, "Huh. They're making disposable hearing aids now!" Glad I didn't throw it out, cause when I called her to ask if she wanted me to send it, she said yeah, it was a $3K unit. I was shocked!
Probably need to have a good hearing check... I've become my dad... though he had hearing aids by age 55...but my kids rib me about my poor hearing... so I'm beginning to appreciate the hard time we gave Dad, back in the day.

Ryder":1hzlvttu said:
Txpiney":1hzlvttu said:
I have worn hearing aids for the last 3 years. They help me a lot, but are hard to get used to initially. They also help with the tinnitus. I have all the symptoms described without the hearing aids in. Good ones are not cheap. Mine were a little cheaper to buy since my wife is a licensed hearing aid dispenser and owns her own business :D
The set that I wear was 6500. They are the best offered, and prices go down to around 1000. Her competitions best are 9500 for a set of comparable hearing aids.

My sister paid about $2000.00 for hers. She can, remotely, control the "volume" and she's happy with hers. Its easier talking with her now, she can actually hear better and hear when people enunciate. One of her biggest issues was certain tones that she couldn't hear.

She didn't want to spend the $$ but tried out 2 different types and went for the "higher dollar" ones. She's very glad that she did. Said that it has been money well spent.

Txpiney":284q4322 said:
Ryder":284q4322 said:
Txpiney":284q4322 said:
The set that I wear was 6500. They are the best offered, and prices go down to around 1000. Her competitions best are 9500 for a set of comparable hearing aids.
Thanks.

:shock: I read that there's a company or two lobbying for over-the-counter sales of some devices that would help mild to moderate loss. Maybe it's needed; I think the current costs are insane. My glasses were 600-700 and I about fell over. How many people go around w/o hearing aids due to the cost? I have no issue with a reasonable out-of-pocket cost for them. But the tests and fitting (audiologist's services) ought to be covered by insurance IMHO. Get the device price down to a grand at least, sheesh.

True story: my great-aunt was a good ol' WV mountain girl. A real hoot. Drove her grandson's motorcycle off her farm house's (high) porch at about age 75, hollering over her shoulder "how do you stop this thing?" in her gravelly voice. Accidentally went in the men's rest room and came out asking what the funny things on the wall were. Anyway, as she got older she got a nighttime cough and would keep a lozenge by her bed. Woke up one night in a coughing fit, grabbed in the dark for the lozenge on the nightstand, and crunched down hard. It was in pieces time she realized it was her hearing aid. :shock:

Yea, I have hearing loss thanks to old tractors/equipment guns chainsaws night clubs and my vehicles with 12 sub woofers and amps and such

slick4591":3sdjcxkw said:
I have the ringing and I'm terrible in crowds. I also have to tell most young women, and some young men to slow down as their words run together and are garbled. I don't have that problem with most of the more mature ladies or men. Family is always on me to get tested but I already know I have hearing loss

The wife and I were in Sam's Club the other day and there's been a free hearing test booth there for a while now, so I decided to go for it. I said something to the wife and I think she got a little ecstatic that I even considered it. Yes, tinnitus both ears and some pretty bad damage probably from non-protected shooting.

Once that was settled out came the price sheet for the hearing aids the lady recommended for me. Lowest is $999 and up to $1699 per ear. :shock: She wanted me to walk around the store wearing them and instructed my wife to walk around me on all sides and talk. She sounded fine and I was pretty pleased, but the screaming kids were way too much. Anyway, a question to those that wear them, what's your experience if you have tried different ones? Was the higher priced one that much better than the lowered priced? I would hate to be cheap only to regret it later.

I got a couple of pair laying around here. $7000 a pair. You can take your choice for a six pack. Don't work for me.

pdfangus":1j8stuv8 said:
wanted to inquire of the assembled wisdom here...

I have amassed some hearing loss over the decades.

never bad enough to require amendment but have long had trouble hearing in crowed rooms or in particular higher pitched voices.

lately noticed that I am having problems with the office telephone. part of it is people call here from cell phones and the connections are not quite as good, and part of it is the cheapest phone system on a government bid...

looked around at hearing aids and floored at the prices.

thinking I might just try amplification first....

any suggestions?

pdfangus................

Son Of Butch has laid down some solid advice.

Hearing loss can be insidious or sudden

In 2013, just north of Jalalabad, my vehicle was hit with a couple of RPG's and completely destroyed. I woke up some time later with a couple of rather annoying issues and some serious hearing loss.

The way that loss of hearing was measured was through a complete examination at a proper hearing clinic. That clinic did remove some ear wax. They also repaired some damage to the drums although I cannot tell you much about that.

I make it a point to have my hearing tested on an annual basis now.

Hearing aids of today are small, nearly invisible and certainly an amazing advance in technology.

Tinnitus volumes can actually be measured in hearing clinics - so if there is also associated ringing, the hearing technicians can not only tell you how bad your ears ring, they can actually fit you out with hearing aids that counter that ringing to allow you to hear more efficiently.

The biggest issue that you might have is that your hearing might decrease at an even faster rate as you age.

In the end, do as I do and carry ear plugs in your pocket all the time. I do not even ride in an airliner without wearing them. Driving with the window open I now put them in - even that wind noise is a hearing killer that most do not realize.

After eyesight, hearing is - in my opinin - the next most important "sense".

Get it checked out, if hearing aides are required, get the best you can afford.

The next step is now up to you. Do not put it off - it could get worse and it could get worse in a hurry.

My best.

Latest posts