Weight loss

Help Support CattleToday:

SALTBRANCH2

Reaction score
I have been fat my whole life. Pretty much have done every diet advertise. This past year I started looking at the gastric bypass options. My brother has already done this so I have some good info to make e decision. After consultations with the Dr's, I pulled the trigger for the RNY procedure. Its the most invasive procedure and it works very well. My surgery was 3-26-18. I have now lost 102 lbs. This stuff is a god send IMO. I have been taken off all Diabetic, HBP and high Cholesterol plus one sleep med. My A1C is at prediabetic levels...….so I had to brag somewhere, felt comfortable here. If anyone has question do not hesitate to PM me.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! THAT IS AWESOME. I am certain your quality of life has improved considerably! 102 lbs is amazing! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Good for you, SB2! A relative sees lots of patients who have had it. I'm told the key to keeping it off long-term is to not slip into constant nibbling/grazing--lots of people gain it back by eating the same calories just more spread out. I'm sure the dr also told you to watch out for other "substitutes"--like excessive alcohol (addictive behaviors, whether alcohol or food etc, often substitute for each other). Hopefully you and your brother are good support for each other!
Bet your family/loved ones are thrilled. I have a close family member battling obesity and it's tough to watch, feels like suicide in super-slo-mo. If it was alcohol it would be easier to discuss. I've finally gotten to where when they call me and say "if I don't do something, I'm gonna die", I just say "yes, you are" and change topic.

So in 6 months you have dropped over 100 lbs.? You will for-sure need new clothes...

Good for you. There is a fat gene that makes some people destined to gain weight and skinny people to stay thin. One day in the future scientist and researchers will be able to program the fat gene and all of us can be at a healthy weight.

Glad to hear that it's working for you! When Dad "retired" and started helping me, he lost 30 pounds in 6 months. When Grandpa went into the hospital, Dad stayed with him every day, and gained back over 20 of it in a couple of months. My retirement plan is to charge people for an immersive weight loss camp, and eliminate my fence crew labor expenses.

FWIW, I've never struggled with my weight, but my older sister is the opposite. She really struggles, and is at a very unhealthy weight. My Mom is overweight from the waist up, but it's because of her diet. Constant sweets and carbs, and wonders why diabetes has set in. Of course, you can be at a healthy weight, and still be unhealthy. Genetics, diet, exercise....

SALTBRANCH2":2dgthegi said:
I have been fat my whole life. Pretty much have done every diet advertise. This past year I started looking at the gastric bypass options. My brother has already done this so I have some good info to make e decision. After consultations with the Dr's, I pulled the trigger for the RNY procedure. Its the most invasive procedure and it works very well. My surgery was 3-26-18. I have now lost 102 lbs. This stuff is a god send IMO. I have been taken off all Diabetic, HBP and high Cholesterol plus one sleep med. My A1C is at prediabetic levels...….so I had to brag somewhere, felt comfortable here. If anyone has question do not hesitate to PM me.

First of all, congratulations. It's good that you lost the weight and are happy now. You are the person that can help me understand this surgery. I've known of people having it done, but I never understood it. You say that you tried every diet advertised. What does the surgery do aside from not allowing much food intake?

One of my son in laws had it done a few years ago. He didn't have as much to lose as you did but really applied himself to the post surgery routine they recommended and looks like he's 18 years old. Weighs about 165 lbs. feels great, doesn't eat that much because he simply can't hold very much. Almost got addicted to walking right after the surgery. Just loved it and would walk 6-8 miles a day. That helped a lot as well. As far as I know he's on no meds and looking great. You can't just have the surgery and return to old habits though. It requires getting rid of some old habits.

TexasBred":3vt3p429 said:
One of my son in laws had it done a few years ago. He didn't have as much to lose as you did but really applied himself to the post surgery routine they recommended and looks like he's 18 years old. Weighs about 165 lbs. feels great, doesn't eat that much because he simply can't hold very much. Almost got addicted to walking right after the surgery. Just loved it and would walk 6-8 miles a day. That helped a lot as well. As far as I know he's on no meds and looking great. You can't just have the surgery and return to old habits though. It requires getting rid of some old habits.
If you did this and stuck to it would you actually need the surgery.

SALTBRANCH2":1pp5aoac said:

Congrats I could have helped you for less money... I could have sent you the antibiotics I took that made me lose 40lbs in 3 mos :cowboy:

herofan":2gb81a9t said:
SALTBRANCH2":2gb81a9t said:

First of all, congratulations. It's good that you lost the weight and are happy now. You are the person that can help me understand this surgery. I've known of people having it done, but I never understood it. You say that you tried every diet advertised. What does the surgery do aside from not allowing much food intake?

Basically I had a lifetime of eating unhealthy and bad habits. Diets are nothing more than a patch or short term fix. Normally you will gain the weight back and then some once you go back to your old habits. Its the habits that really cause the weight gain. The surgery I had, the RNY is basically reboot if you will. The first year after surgery is the "honey moon" phase. There is really no way you cant lose weight. With the RNY I have to watch my sugar intake, for example a snickers bar will make me sick. I felt I needed that safe guard if you will. The surgery is basically a pause button in life. It gives me a year to create new habits without being hungry all the time. Thats basically what the surgery comes down to I believe. I have cut all carbs, soda's, sugars & alchohol etc from my diet. Drinking water and almond milk only for my fluids. Foods consist of protiens and vegetables. Eating only when hungry, when the body needs food is another habit you have to create. Not the breafast, lunch, supper that has been the normal for everyone. You have to learn to identify head hunger vs, real hunger. You have to identify emotional eating or using food as a crutch...these are all things a fat person has going on. Its all the things I had going in my life. As someone said earlier you have to watch the snacks. While I can not sit down and eat a regular meal like you can, I can eat many small snacks through out the day and gain weight back. Can a person change habits without surgery? I am sure many can with enough will power. I do not believe I could have plus I was at the point in my life where diabetes was serious enough I had to do something. I firmly believe that I would be dead with in 10 years or minus a limb or two. Once your on diabetic meds it changes everything about how the body functions. Its hard to explain but being tired all the time is one of the side effects that is hard to overcome. Thirsty all the time, having to go to the bathroom all the time etc.The surgery is a tool to use to create good habits. The time frame after surgery has to be used wisely for this to work. My first check up I was in the waiting room with another lady I met in the hospital, she had her surgery the same day as I did. She was talking about how she tried some cup cakes and they tasted good............So why did you have the surgery if you are going to do stuff like that? I hope that helps to answer or explain some.

skyhightree1":6fchqwck said:
SALTBRANCH2":6fchqwck said:

Congrats I could have helped you for less money... I could have sent you the antibiotics I took that made me lose 40lbs in 3 mos :cowboy:
What are these? I have some fat friends that would be interested in trying I am sure

True Grit Farms":2c7z337q said:
TexasBred":2c7z337q said:
If you did this and stuck to it would you actually need the surgery.

It ain't always that easy.

Latest posts