healed castration pictures please

Help Support CattleToday:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

For the record, I sat through about 3 hours of the sale today...because we sold calves, but also because I consider it part of my job as a full-time cattle producer to continually educate myself. I noticed - 1) calves over 500 pounds that were cut sometimes brought a considerable premium (up to $20/cwt), while lighter calves were more even between bulls and steers, and 2) there WAS an obvious difference between calves that were cut or banded. Also, calves sold on muscle first, and color second, and heifers were about $20 back. There. Free info at my expense. I apologize for not taking any pictures...I wanted to keep my dignity, so you'll just have to take me at my word.

Like Tim/South said, this was the perfect opportunity for you to go out and do your own research, like the REST of us. FWIW, there is quite a bit of pride involved in this business, to do the best you can, but there is also a lot of humility required as well. I'll admit that I have a lot of pride. I spend way too much time thinking of, looking at, and talking about cattle, and am proud of the fact I'm a partner with my husband and not a "ranch wife." I have a skill set at the money-making end and the waterproof overalls to prove it. I was pretty cocky when I graduated with my BS in Animal Science, but the more I learn now, the more I realize I have a long, long way to go. Puts and calls are beyond me even though I took a livestock marketing class, and I get yelled at a lot by jumping on the fence and letting a cow go by me who sure "looked" like she was going to eat my lunch! A lot of the people on here may not make a living with their cattle, but that doesn't mean they don't know what they're talking about. Sometimes the smartest thing a person can do is keep their mouth shut, show some respect, and try to learn something from the ones that have been there before. I have learned a lot on this board, with some of it being a heck of a lot more useful than anything I learned in college. Hopefully it'll keep me from making a mistake they learned the hard way, or at least get me to look at things from a different perspective.

Humility. Respect. Look them up. The Golden Rule might not hurt, either. That is, IF you care about anyone on here ever taking you seriously. Most of your posts suggest the answer to that is a definite no. I predict that I just wasted about 30 minutes of my life and this post will fall on deaf ears.

Thanks and Gig 'em!

ricebeltrancher":2wy14scj said:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

For the record, I sat through about 3 hours of the sale today...because we sold calves, but also because I consider it part of my job as a full-time cattle producer to continually educate myself. I noticed - 1) calves over 500 pounds that were cut sometimes brought a considerable premium (up to $20/cwt), while lighter calves were more even between bulls and steers, and 2) there WAS an obvious difference between calves that were cut or banded. Also, calves sold on muscle first, and color second, and heifers were about $20 back. There. Free info at my expense. I apologize for not taking any pictures...I wanted to keep my dignity, so you'll just have to take me at my word.

Like Tim/South said, this was the perfect opportunity for you to go out and do your own research, like the REST of us. FWIW, there is quite a bit of pride involved in this business, to do the best you can, but there is also a lot of humility required as well. I'll admit that I have a lot of pride. I spend way too much time thinking of, looking at, and talking about cattle, and am proud of the fact I'm a partner with my husband and not a "ranch wife." I have a skill set at the money-making end and the waterproof overalls to prove it. I was pretty cocky when I graduated with my BS in Animal Science, but the more I learn now, the more I realize I have a long, long way to go. Puts and calls are beyond me even though I took a livestock marketing class, and I get yelled at a lot by jumping on the fence and letting a cow go by me who sure "looked" like she was going to eat my lunch! A lot of the people on here may not make a living with their cattle, but that doesn't mean they don't know what they're talking about. Sometimes the smartest thing a person can do is keep their mouth shut, show some respect, and try to learn something from the ones that have been there before. I have learned a lot on this board, with some of it being a heck of a lot more useful than anything I learned in college. Hopefully it'll keep me from making a mistake they learned the hard way, or at least get me to look at things from a different perspective.

Humility. Respect. Look them up. The Golden Rule might not hurt, either. That is, IF you care about anyone on here ever taking you seriously. Most of your posts suggest the answer to that is a definite no. I predict that I just wasted about 30 minutes of my life and this post will fall on deaf ears.

Thanks and Gig 'em!

Don't take this as argumentative, but your saying as the steer calves sold the buyers were able to tell the difference between banded and knife cut and the prices reflected it ?

If that's what your saying how were you able to distinguish between the two sitting in a seat 50' foot away elevated above the calves as they are being run through the ring or did auctioneer state the castration process ?

No problem! There was no price difference that I could tell. I'm just saying that I was personally pretty sure of the physical difference. A lot of 6 and 7 weight Charolais steers went through that had some sack still there, basically just shrunk. Other similar similar size Chars that went through that were NOT cut were obviously so. All of ours were banded and had nothing left. Some other calves had about an inch or so left, where it looked to me like the bottom had been cut off and the rest shrunk up. I was sitting in the third row from the front for over an hour, so I got a pretty good look at them.

I've never had cause to pay that much attention to something like this so I could be full of it, but that was my impression. Since cowgirl8 says it is impossible to tell the difference, I was simply offering a difference of opinion. If someone out there would post a stinking picture, maybe we could put this to rest once and for all! :tiphat: :deadhorse:

ricebeltrancher":1kqw4w74 said:
No problem! There was no price difference that I could tell. I'm just saying that I was personally pretty sure of the physical difference. A lot of 6 and 7 weight Charolais steers went through that had some sack still there, basically just shrunk. Other similar similar size Chars that went through that were NOT cut were obviously so. All of ours were banded and had nothing left. Some other calves had about an inch or so left, where it looked to me like the bottom had been cut off and the rest shrunk up. I was sitting in the third row from the front for over an hour, so I got a pretty good look at them.

I've never had cause to pay that much attention to something like this so I could be full of it, but that was my impression. Since cowgirl8 says it is impossible to tell the difference, I was simply offering a difference of opinion. If someone out there would post a stinking picture, maybe we could put this to rest once and for all! :tiphat: :deadhorse:

10-4 I now understand what you're saying
Thanks

cowgirl8":38lcygsy said:
:lol: I already knew..it took you guys umpteen pages of arguing and complaining that got you nowhere.....You can go back to other threads where i said it, but was told pretty much the same things you guys like to turn around to, insults to hide your ignorance. I just wanted pictures and wondered how fast, or slow, or never, you'd post a picture to validate that a cut calf will be obvious to a banded one. You cant tell the difference..... And if buyers are so sharp that they can tell, why does the announcer have to 'point out' that a calf is knife cut. lol TB is right, you cant fix stupid..... :lol2: This in no way is directed to the few nice posters here...we all know who its aimed at. ;-)
Knew that was coming. Neither can a leopard change it's spots. The "announcer" points it out as a service to the potential buyers...to remove any doubt. Shows you that "they" have done their homework.

TexasBred":11fhed99 said:
cowgirl8":11fhed99 said:
:lol: I already knew..it took you guys umpteen pages of arguing and complaining that got you nowhere.....You can go back to other threads where i said it, but was told pretty much the same things you guys like to turn around to, insults to hide your ignorance. I just wanted pictures and wondered how fast, or slow, or never, you'd post a picture to validate that a cut calf will be obvious to a banded one. You cant tell the difference..... And if buyers are so sharp that they can tell, why does the announcer have to 'point out' that a calf is knife cut. lol TB is right, you cant fix stupid..... :lol2: This in no way is directed to the few nice posters here...we all know who its aimed at. ;-)
Knew that was coming. Neither can a leopard change it's spots. The "announcer" points it out as a service to the potential buyers...to remove any doubt. Shows you that "they" have done their homework.
lol....that would mean that every male calf is palpated as they come in. That doesnt happen. The announcer says 'cut' instead of 'steer'...just an individual way to make his auctioneering different..Maybe the way this 'one' auctioneer says cut because he feels steer sounds like something else, maybe he has a lisp...who knows. You're grasping at straws...its rather sad..

cowgirl8":17wx76r2 said:
TexasBred":17wx76r2 said:
cowgirl8":17wx76r2 said:
lol....that would mean that every male calf is palpated as they come in. That doesnt happen. The announcer says 'cut' instead of 'steer'...just an individual way to make his auctioneering different..Maybe the way this 'one' auctioneer says cut because he feels steer sounds like something else, maybe he has a lisp...who knows. You're grasping at straws...its rather sad..[/

I'm sure you husband must know something about a cow because you sure don't seen too.

ricebeltrancher":2bu1bnd1 said:
TexasBred, you are having way too much fun!

ditto! : )

let us refresh her memory... original post

cowgirl8":2bu1bnd1 said:
For anyone who will and can, please post a picture of what the area looks like on a steer where they were castrated. I want pictures of calves who were cut when they were newborns, banded at newborns, cut older, banded older.
Earlier this year i was informed that at weaning, buyers can tell when a calf goes through a sale ring if that calf was banded or cut and if you band your calves they get docked. It was an idiotic argument and I've been waiting until my calves nuts fell off to compare them to others who said you can tell the difference. So here is your chance to enlighten me on this matter...
I'll have a good picture later this morning.

to this

TexasBred":2bu1bnd1 said:
lol....that would mean that every male calf is palpated as they come in. That doesnt happen. The announcer says 'cut' instead of 'steer'...just an individual way to make his auctioneering different..Maybe the way this 'one' auctioneer says cut because he feels steer sounds like something else, maybe he has a lisp...who knows. You're grasping at straws...its rather sad..

if anything it is amusing to watch cowgirl8 go 'round and 'round like a sausage mill.

kaffeetrinker_2.gif
time for me to put the coffee down, go get the cow and hit the road. Y'all have fun today.

cowgirl8":i9z39rih said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Palpated??? Calves??? Maybe your's need it but not those at the sale barn. Palpated "cows" are clearly marked with paint how many months they are bred. The "announcer" as you call him doesn't necessarily have to say anything. You need to go to the sale more often woman. :nod:

TexasBred":2yddf1zg said:
cowgirl8":2yddf1zg said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Palpated??? Calves??? Maybe your's need it but not those at the sale barn. Palpated "cows" are clearly marked with paint how many months they are bred. The "announcer" as you call him doesn't necessarily have to say anything. You need to go to the sale more often woman. :nod:
Your word knowledge is very limited..lol for an old fart
pal·pate
ˈpalˌpāt/Submit
verb
examine (a part of the body) by touch, especially for medical purposes.

And to see if there are any testicles or retained ones you'd............palpate...and if you'd need to validate whether its cut or banded, imaginary that is, because we know its not done, you'd palpate...

cowgirl8":1sc5qbka said:
Your word knowledge is very limited..lol for an old fart
pal·pate
ˈpalˌpāt/Submit
verb
examine (a part of the body) by touch, especially for medical purposes.

And to see if there are any testicles or retained ones you'd............palpate...and if you'd need to validate whether its cut or banded, imaginary that is, because we know its not done, you'd palpate...

Most of us (you excepted) use the word palpate in reference to rectal palpation to determine pregnancy. Nut, tits etc are normally simply examined... Perhaps YOU would have better undersood what I meant if I had said "rectal palpation". I'll try and remember that in the future for your benefit. BTW, like the online dictionary you use. Helps you get your a$$ out of a crack often.

Note my signature and apply it.

Apparently cowgirl8 does not understand that each auctioneer has his own lingo.

At one barn, common phrases are "steer calf", "steer cow", and yes ... "steer bull". And of course my favorite for a broken down cow, "She has her whole life ahead of her."

Also retained testicles usually can not be determined by palpating the scrotal area. They are usually up inside the abdominal cavity.

Latest posts