healed castration pictures please

Help Support CattleToday:

Cryptorchidism is in the genes, in the DNA. If the cow has only one bull every four years that has a testicle retained, then I understand not using him as a bull.
But all of the other bulls and heifers she gave birth to carry the same gene, they just slid by.
Each time you retain any of her offspring, or a bull's offspring, they carry the same gene, even if they were not born with the problem.
Where you will run into problems later, is when you start retaining your best heifers, and your bulls that carry the gene. Even if it seems more like line breeding instead of in-breeding, that gene stays with them.
As you breed each animal to the other, you increase your odds of it happening again.

Why don't you buy some good registered cows and a bull and start a small seed stock operation on the side to improve your herd. Make your own cows. Some like to buy them, but I like to customize them myself. They just don't always come out like you order them though. Take the heifers and put them into your herd. If one is outstanding, leave it in the seed stock group.
Purchase another super registered bull to put in with your cows of a different breed to cross with, that will pull your cows up, and start a really great cross bred herd. Get rid of the problems now before they take over your herd. The prices are good now, and get rid of the ones that are going to hurt you in the long run.

Back to the topic of this thread..Differences in the castration sight when cut and banded at weaning. Yall can just not look at this thread anymore. No one here is arguing with you, so there is no need to continue.
My neighbors calves are all knife cut. i'm not a trespasser, so i can only get pictures from the other side of the fence. This is not easy since his cows are so flighty and anytime i've ever stopped off at his place, they take off like they're on fire..lol. I did get that one picture of the char calf and from what i saw it looked just like a banded site but i could not get him to turn away from me to get a picture and he was too far away....Not many herds around us i can easily take a good picture of...but i will if no one else does.

Are these calves coming out of the same cows? Or is it a different cow each time?
If it is a different cow each time, then the bulls are most likely the problem. I would replace my bulls with some great stock. Then watch my cows. As they calve, see if that cleared up the problem. If the cows continue to give birth to more cryptorchidism calves, then I would move her on. You can clean your herd up.
It is a good time to sell culls and purchase some great registered stock. You would half of your problem licked. There are so many great bulls and their offspring are doing a great job for seed stock and crossbreeding.

We band our calves and are never docked for this method.

Chuckie":3ra7s4l5 said:
Are these calves coming out of the same cows? Or is it a different cow each time?
If it is a different cow each time, then the bulls are most likely the problem. I would replace my bulls with some great stock. Then watch my cows. As they calve, see if that cleared up the problem. If the cows continue to give birth to more cryptorchidism calves, then I would move her on. You can clean your herd up.
It is a good time to sell culls and purchase some great registered stock. You would half of your problem licked. There are so many great bulls and their offspring are doing a great job for seed stock and crossbreeding.

I dont have this problem so let it go...

cowgirl8":3s9t6mlf said:
Chuckie":3s9t6mlf said:

I dont have this problem so let it go...

And nobody is going to photograph their cut calves....so let it go...

Taurus":jmunh9pb said:
We've sold some intact bull calves in past but they don't sort them off so they stays in the group with other steers. They sells just like steers. Theres no difference in the price between banded and knife cut steers or an intact bull calf and a steer calf. Its all buyers' preferences.

I don't know about where your at , but the buyers here will hold bull calves if they are mixed in with steers.
And there is a price difference.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/jc_ls154.txt

Yikes....its good to have them cut fro sho...We do have one yearling bull we plan to sell that just isnt working out. All our male calves are 100% cut...

TennesseeTuxedo":1l3p3100 said:
cowgirl8":1l3p3100 said:
Yikes....its good to have them cut fro sho...We do have one yearling bull we plan to sell that just isnt working out. All our male calves are 100% cut...

I thought you banded?
End result, cut.......off, no more, gone, vamoosed, zip, zilch.. and when they go to the sale, the buyers will see steer. The band 'cut' them off...........cut.

WORANCH":22h7n6nr said:
Taurus":22h7n6nr said:
We've sold some intact bull calves in past but they don't sort them off so they stays in the group with other steers. They sells just like steers. Theres no difference in the price between banded and knife cut steers or an intact bull calf and a steer calf. Its all buyers' preferences.

I don't know about where your at , but the buyers here will hold bull calves if they are mixed in with steers.

I guess they forget to tell that one to few sale barns. I was surprised to see our intact bull calves in the group when they ran in the ring but got sold at same price of steer calves so I can say that they sells same as steer calves. No dock at all.

Taurus":3u3qxcrj said:
WORANCH":3u3qxcrj said:
Taurus":3u3qxcrj said:

I guess they forget to tell that one to few sale barns. I was surprised to see our intact bull calves in the group when they ran in the ring but got sold at same price of steer calves so I can say that they sells same as steer calves. No dock at all.

Maybe your steers sold at bull price. :lol:

Bull calves used to be a bigger dock, more so than they are now
With calf numbers being in short supply the lighter wt. ( under 500#'s )
Ain't being docked much, if at all
Used to calves were in surplus and they didn't have to buy bulls as there were plenty steers available
Now they will buy and pay anything just to fill orders from what I've seen

TennesseeTuxedo":vhlx6qqv said:
I believe it was Backhoeboogie who said it best a few days ago, bless your heart.
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :clap: :clap: I think it was Ron White who also said "You can't fix stupid". Might be the result of a one nut sire. :shock:

Just call the sale barn, ask for the manager and tell him that you have been told they are docking the calves for being banded vs. being cut. See what he tells you. That is the simplest thing to do.

Based on what I've seen when calves are sold in special sales they are promoted as vac-45 or the such and they tell about what vaccines, dates given, length of weaning time and so on
Also a sales point is knife cut to assure the potential buyer that there will not be any retained testicles
It's a part of the marketing to assure the buyer everything has been done to help insure the calves are ready to turn out or go on feed

In an typical cattle auction setting I doubt anyone can tell cut vs banded

6 pages of nonsense of banded vs cut
When done right ain't a lot different in the two, the problem us ain't ain't always done right

:lol: I already knew..it took you guys umpteen pages of arguing and complaining that got you nowhere.....You can go back to other threads where i said it, but was told pretty much the same things you guys like to turn around to, insults to hide your ignorance. I just wanted pictures and wondered how fast, or slow, or never, you'd post a picture to validate that a cut calf will be obvious to a banded one. You cant tell the difference..... And if buyers are so sharp that they can tell, why does the announcer have to 'point out' that a calf is knife cut. lol TB is right, you cant fix stupid..... :lol2: This in no way is directed to the few nice posters here...we all know who its aimed at. ;-)

Latest posts