Headed to the sale barn

Help Support CattleToday:

Weaned or not. the less time in the sale barn the better especially if they are commingled. What I have found with packer cows is to get them there towards the end of the packer cow session where they will spend less than a hour before going into the ring. All the hay they want the night before and a few cubes before they leave will get me down to about 2 to 3% shrink.

Calves can be all over the place at a regular sale barn but I take mine the day of. A $20 tip to the unloader to get them in early will pay off in spades.. Length of weaning definitely reduces the shrink. Trailer weaned bawlers can easily lose 10%. Even weaned calves can lose 5%+ if they stand around all day. 8% shrink is very common of short weaned calves.

When I sell at OKC I feed them heavy the night (Saturday) before they ship, ship very early Sunday morning. They are not commingled there. Each small pen has its own feed and water. They are usually fed good feed upon arrival (no hay). They generally sell before noon on Monday. Shrink will 0 to 5% but is generally in the 2 to 3% range. That is for long weaned calves.

These animals are all weighed at my place before they leave. Trucking somewhere and weighed is not very accurate because as mentioned above, the gathering and loading shrink is easily 3%.

What you can learn from having a set of scales will easily pay for them over time and really change your way of thinking come sale day. Water intake at the barn is more important than feed. Unweaned calved commingled into a pen with a 100 other calves and a limited water source is recipe for a bad day shrink wise. Unweaned calves are to timid to get up tot the trough.
For this reason 4 weight calves will shrink way more percentage wise than 7 weights.

I have been weighing animals coming and going for 12 years trying to find the best method. It has opened my eyes to not use some sale barns and for sure not to take them the day before where they are fed poor hay in a large pen with a 100 other calves and then get charged to do so.

BTW, the calves I buy will gain most of their 5 to 8% shrink back within a few hours after I get them home when they have uncrowded access to good hay and water.

So you're saying they should be brought in the same day as the sale?
I'm going to ship some an hour and 30 minutes away, I was going to ship them the day before and put in a feed/water pen... should I ship the same day? Weaned 100 days.
Weaned helps a lot. Much better than off the cow. But different feed, different hay, and especially different water takes them a few days to adjust. Especially if the stockyard has chlorinated water. They have to get thirsty before they will touch it.
Maybe they are smarter than we are.

We had a 550# weaned heifer that a neighbor was boarding for us with 5 others and they broke out. We assumed a bear spooked them at night since people had been see it in the neighborhood. Got all back in but that one. She spent a week on the lamb in the woods and swamp until she showed up at a dairy farm 4 miles away. She lost 80 lbs in that week.

Anyone that is on good terms with their sale barn, weigh a few the night before or whenever you deliver them. Compare to the weight when they sell.
Weaned are much better on not loosing weight and also selling price if the buyers know it.
But, i get some occasionally that they sell as weaned and they aren't. Many people dont understand that the cow weaning it in the field but it still being with her is not the same as 60 days weaned and on feed.

4 o'clock and still selling calves! 9 hour sale so far., Just saw 150 heifers, avg 707 lbs, all open and from the same place, bring $2.34! One buyer for all 150. There won't be any cattle left at all in MO at this rate!
That's actually a pretty good deal in this market. If they're the right kind for a big outfit to retain they could easily pay for themselves. Of course they're probably headed to slaughter, but maybe somebody is looking ahead at the possible market in a severely diminished supply of mother cows.

That's actually a pretty good deal in this market. If they're the right kind for a big outfit to retain they could easily pay for themselves. Of course they're probably headed to slaughter, but maybe somebody is looking ahead at the possible market in a severely diminished supply of mother cows.
My guess is slaughter, because the same dude just bought 116 of their same-size brothers the very next group. $2.67

$7500 payday on taking 5 calves to the sale, is a pretty good day , in my book! Were you happy with what they did? Disappointed? Or about what you figured they'd do?
Really happy with what they brought, that steer weighed more than I thought. Realize mine won't be the top of the market so looking at the market report for southwest Missouri seems like they fell in the range.

Really happy with what they brought, that steer weighed more than I thought. Realize mine won't be the top of the market so looking at the market report for southwest Missouri seems like they fell in the range.
Your calves looked fine i think and the sale price shows they were good.

Latest posts