Head Chute ????

Help Support CattleToday:

Tommy Ruyle":p81w0fhu said:
Looking to buy a new head chute. Who likes or dislikes what they have?

This last head gate I bought was a "Filson" brand self catch. It is bolted to the chute I built. It had never been used but was for sale second hand at a good price. I checked everything on it and everything there was heavy enough to satisfy my concerns. For the price the guy was asking, I coudln't say no. I have used it a few times and feel good about the deal now that it has been employed.

Priefert is the obvious good choice.

Hate my Powder River. Pretty sturdy, but a lot of slop in the levers and such. Crappy paint job too.

WW will be my next investment.

Tommy,

Are you going to use this strictly for cattle or do you think you might ocassionally run deer or two through it ? :lol: If you might think you are going to run a deer or two through it ocassionally you might want to consider getting sqeeze chute. :lol:

I just could not pass on this one. Did you really rope a deer ?

After years of working calves in a wooden pen with a chute and headgate we finally invested in a crowding tub with a squeeze chute and self catch headgate. :D Was it ever worth it! Ours is a Big Valley M-series (I wouldn't recommend the bottom of the line) We think it works pretty well. The self catch headgate only missed once out of nearly 40 calves. If it misses, the calf can't get out of the chute. You just reset and try again.
I know these systems can get expensive, but we were looking at it from a safety standpoint. My dad doesn't want us to get hurt, and some day when our kids are doing it, we don't want them hurt, either. We spent a lot of time researching the different brands, and are very happy with what we ended up with.

I went with the Big WW with Palp cage and in all I am very happy. I only changed after my father and I were almost run over when hepling our neighbors with wild crackers. You can get an old chute to work great but its alot of work.
You cant put a price on safety or good health. My father is 67 I dont want to risk anything when I not there. Also Fla boy where are you located I am in Venus.

mom to 4":1cvqapj4 said:
After years of working calves in a wooden pen with a chute and headgate we finally invested in a crowding tub with a squeeze chute and self catch headgate. :D Was it ever worth it! Ours is a Big Valley M-series (I wouldn't recommend the bottom of the line) We think it works pretty well. The self catch headgate only missed once out of nearly 40 calves. If it misses, the calf can't get out of the chute. You just reset and try again.
I know these systems can get expensive, but we were looking at it from a safety standpoint. My dad doesn't want us to get hurt, and some day when our kids are doing it, we don't want them hurt, either. We spent a lot of time researching the different brands, and are very happy with what we ended up with.

Don,t really want to change the subject here but you had better watch that self catching headgate. I work my cattle by myself, Unfortunatly I got pretty used to that self catch working every time. Just set it the cow catches herself.
Well I had a cow manage to get her shoulders through, ended up catching her just in front of the hips. Now just what the h-- do you do. Cow is really PO'd, will not back up, I certainly cannot do anything with a 1600 lb. mad fomeing at the mouth cow, that I used to pet in the pasture. No way to take that thing apart. Would have to go to town to get a cutting torch. Cow would kill herself before I got back. Call with cell phone to get help nobody answered. I walked away to give both of us a chance to cool down. The cow kept up the violence and finally went down in the chute. I took the time to run to the barn and get some plywood which I put in front of her so she would not think she could go forward. It worked, when she got up she went back into the chute. I gave up for the day, but I did make that cow walk back through that chute to leave.
They have never been back in that chute unless I had help from then on.

I use a behlen big valley manual. I don't like the selfcatch. I may run a 1200 pound cow then a 300 pound calf next. Self catch is just to much trouble. Its easy to shounderlock one also. With the manual I can have the catch closed get a cow in the chute, with a rope behind her I open the headcatch and tighten up on the rope until she moves forward. No problem working them myself. Also with the manual catch I can close it all the way down to the neck and she can't jump around so much. I have a picture of it on the "tip and tricks" board under chute alterrations.

I have a Tox o Wick head gate and a Big Valley squeeze and head gate.Tox o Wick is quickest to change settings but both are strong and well made. I dont care for the neck extender on the big valley (optional) but some people like it.Big Valley squeeze chute works well.

novatech":1y4drfpy said:
mom to 4":1y4drfpy said:

Don,t really want to change the subject here but you had better watch that self catching headgate. I work my cattle by myself, Unfortunatly I got pretty used to that self catch working every time. Just set it the cow catches herself.
Well I had a cow manage to get her shoulders through, ended up catching her just in front of the hips. Now just what the h-- do you do. Cow is really PO'd, will not back up, I certainly cannot do anything with a 1600 lb. mad fomeing at the mouth cow, that I used to pet in the pasture. No way to take that thing apart. Would have to go to town to get a cutting torch. Cow would kill herself before I got back. Call with cell phone to get help nobody answered. I walked away to give both of us a chance to cool down. The cow kept up the violence and finally went down in the chute. I took the time to run to the barn and get some plywood which I put in front of her so she would not think she could go forward. It worked, when she got up she went back into the chute. I gave up for the day, but I did make that cow walk back through that chute to leave.

I like Priefert's gate for this reason.

tom4018":3qctk6ro said:
novatech":3qctk6ro said:
mom to 4":3qctk6ro said:

I like Priefert's gate for this reason.
I was thinking about buying a 91 Priefert tomorrow.
Is it not going to trap a cow, as in above?
My old one is a disaster waiting to happen. The best price I have found is $585.00
Seems a couple hundred higher than a few years ago.

Dan

Because the Priefert is more of a scissor type of deal then a swinger they rarely catch anything but the head. But, If a cow hits it hard enough and doesn;t slow down she can barrel right through without being caught. We have 2 that figured it out. I now use the nose chain across the front so that it can't open any wider then it is set for, only use it for those 2 cows. Problem solved.

dun

Never had one get hung up yet, had trouble with the other style before. The Formost manual gate is ok in my opinion.

I called several places, the lowest price I can find is $575.00 on the 91 Priefert and $575.00 on the Filson Automatic (not the XL).
Still seems kinda a high.

danl":2jz5tfr6 said:
I called several places, the lowest price I can find is $575.00 on the 91 Priefert and $575.00 on the Filson Automatic (not the XL).
Still seems kinda a high.

The price of steel these day's sound's about right.

rattler

Latest posts