Hay Unrolling?

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
I was wondering. I just bought a hay un-roller for back of tractor. If feeding 45 head how much should I unroll at a time as to keep them from laying on it and wasting it. I know that will depend some what on weather. Just want to get some opinions on how it works best for everyone. Seems like so far if I roll one out in the evening (5x5 bale) the next morning they will have it cleaned up. Not sure if two bales would cause waste or not. Thanks B&G

Why only unroll half of a round that's probably around 1000lbs for 45 cows n the cold? Heck even if u wanna put em on a diet they should easily eat the whole bale n a day.

piedmontese":o1ug07dk said:
Why only unroll half of a round that's probably around 1000lbs for 45 cows n the cold? Heck even if u wanna put em on a diet they should easily eat the whole bale n a day.

I agree. Speaking of that, that's one thing I like about the un-roller, I don't keep square bales if I want a small bale for the barn or corral, I just un-roll it down to the size I need. B&G

I would just unroll one bale in the morning, maybe 1/2 a bale that night and see how they do. I figure 25lbs per/hd/day. Depends on bale size too. I bought one of those last year, this year I bought a krogman bed, they work great for unrolling straw, corn stalks, hay or carrying deer to the shed!

Kscattle":3jn8lqm3 said:
I would just unroll one bale in the morning, maybe 1/2 a bale that night and see how they do. I figure 25lbs per/hd/day. Depends on bale size too. I bought one of those last year, this year I bought a krogman bed, they work great for unrolling straw, corn stalks, hay or carrying deer to the shed!

Thanks, everyone for the help I'll play with it and see how it goes. B&G :tiphat:

I agree with kscattle i figure mine out to where every cow gets 25-30lbs/day we have been running beds for 3 yrs now and dont know how we made it without them. No mud and they all eat at the same time has really cut down on waste. If its cold and the hay wont meet the cows nutritional needs you are going to have to supplement more tdn she can only hold so much.

bigbull338":2qelqf16 said:
i wouldnt unroll more than 1/3 to 1/2 of the bale a day.
:shock: :shock: :shock: Dam....no more than that I wouldn't bother putting any out. Put out enough to let them get full. If they clean up 2 rolls I'd put out 2 rolls.

TexasBred":32s802hl said:
bigbull338":32s802hl said:
i wouldnt unroll more than 1/3 to 1/2 of the bale a day.
:shock: :shock: :shock: Dam....no more than that I wouldn't bother putting any out. Put out enough to let them get full. If they clean up 2 rolls I'd put out 2 rolls.

+1. If 45 cows won't clean up one full bale of hay, they are not very hungry. Let them graze.

Actually, I always hated and avoided if I could starting up the tractor only to feed one bale. Is there a way you can feed next to the water source, then go over the hill out of site to the far corner of the pasture and put out hay for the next day? I've also put hay in another pasture and open the gate next day too.

if we unrolled 1 of our 5 by 6 bales.i can assure you most of it would be peed an messed on.i know a guy that dont use hay rings an 80% of his hay is wasted.an he has to burn the piles come spring.

I feed 2 round bales for about that same number of cows, waste isn't any worse than using a hay wagon or ring...

I certainly wouldn't feed any less...

I know a guy that tried to cut up a round bale with a chain saw. (cough cough)
Didn't work out too good.............

greybeard":3f05h3ra said:
:lol: :lol: had a friend cut the strings on a roll and push it off a hill to unroll...unfortunately it was turn the wrong way, none unrolled and it took out a fence. Then he had to figure out a way to get it back out in the field where the cattle were.

i roll out around 80-100 a year by hand. i do not like hay rings. i have less than 5% waste rolling them out. i have around 30 head and feed 1 bale a day in winter, 1/2 a bale in early fall and late winter.

TexasBred":3lj49rpp said:
greybeard":3lj49rpp said:
:lol: :lol: had a friend cut the strings on a roll and push it off a hill to unroll...unfortunately it was turn the wrong way, none unrolled and it took out a fence. Then he had to figure out a way to get it back out in the field where the cattle were.

i have rolled several off a hill, but never went through a fence, have come close.

scf84":opzclwwa said:
TexasBred":opzclwwa said:
greybeard":opzclwwa said:

i have rolled several off a hill, but never went through a fence, have come close.

You probably had yours turned where it would actually unroll. None of his unrolled.........it just gained speed. :lol2:

Latest posts