Hay Unrolling?

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch":398y9z8x said:
I think it was here that I learned this with unrolling hay:

Day 1 - It is dinner
Day 2 - It is the bedroom
Day 3 - It becomes the bathroom
If that is happening then YOU are the one making the MISTAKE of rolling out more hay than can be consumed in a 12 to 16 hr period

Most People believe a bovine needs to stand and eat constantly and therefore they overfeed them on hay when actually a cow does not graze 24 hrs a day

Isomade":1fmk5abg said:
Cattleman 9.5":1fmk5abg said:
I am new here but this seems like an interesting topic and one I have researched quite extensively
My findings were the more you feed the more they will waste and the less you feed the less waste you will have
so I have determined that if I have my hired hand only feed 1 bale every 3 day to my 110 cows that they waste nothing and are waiting on him when he feeds them on the third day and there is none of the bale left that he previously fed
Since we have implemented this program our hay supplies last a lot longer and our expenses have decreased immensely, because we are using less fuel and his time can be spent doing other tasks here on the ranch
You Sir are a genius!
Thank you!! kind Sir
I am glad I joined this forum, As it seems it is full of misinformed people who can benefit from my vast knowledge of the cattle industry and if they listen without questioning they too can become profitable in the cattle business

If this ain't a joke, please tell us more of your vast knowledge of the cattle industry. I've somehow stayed in the cattle business for 40 years without it. Now I want to become profitable in the cattle business. What part of the country are you from? Seems that a man that only loses one calf either doesn't check them or doesn't know how many he had to calve to begin with.
You're right we know nothing about your operation, tell us about it. gs

I too would like to hear about feeding 110 head on 1 round bale every 72 hours.... They aren't grazing on pasture I assume..? Are you feeding chopped silage or something else as well?

I just don't see it man... the rumen would be continually empty.. there's no way those are healthy cattle on just a few lbs of dry matter over 3 days...

Cattleman 9.5":16kd97rw said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":16kd97rw said:

Day 1 - It is dinner
If that is happening then YOU are the one making the MISTAKE of rolling out more hay than can be consumed in a 12 to 16 hr period

Most People believe a bovine needs to stand and eat constantly and therefore they overfeed them on hay when actually a cow does not graze 24 hrs a day

Boy you are Mr. Righteous, arn't you? I never said that I feed this way, I said I READ it on here. That is why the comment was made, to let one know when they are feeding to much. But I guess you were not able to figure that out....
Go back to bed and wake up one the right side, would you???

I only fed 3 rolls in the last two weeks myself. But I had them on some frosted oats and rye grass. If he's only feeding hay, he must be feeding some large rolls, about 4 ton roll.

highgrit":2bpgr3hz said:
I only fed 3 rolls in the last two weeks myself. But I had them on some frosted oats and rye grass. If he's only feeding hay, he must be feeding some large rolls, about 4 ton roll.
What a coincidence! Mine prefer Frosted Mini Wheats. What brand do you buy?

With all the rain we've had this year wheat would of been a better choice. I figured yours would of been frozen wheat by now,
mini doesn't work around here.

Isomade":2msjbrtb said:
Cattleman 9.5":2msjbrtb said:
I am new here but this seems like an interesting topic and one I have researched quite extensively
My findings were the more you feed the more they will waste and the less you feed the less waste you will have
so I have determined that if I have my hired hand only feed 1 bale every 3 day to my 110 cows that they waste nothing and are waiting on him when he feeds them on the third day and there is none of the bale left that he previously fed
Since we have implemented this program our hay supplies last a lot longer and our expenses have decreased immensely, because we are using less fuel and his time can be spent doing other tasks here on the ranch
You Sir are a genius!
Very humble fellow as well. Rates himself only a 9.5....that post will make him a 10. :banana:

Bigfoot":3opyjv04 said:
Tomorrow or Saturday, I should start on my rolls stored inside. I'm gonna unroll one, and see what happens. I'll let you know. If the ground wasn't froze, I wouldn't even try it. I feed about 3 a day now. I'm gonna see what 1 unrolled in the morning, and 1 in the evening looks like. I figure of the three a day that I feed in rings half of one roll, or more is wasted now.

I bought a hay ring that wasn't skirted and it wasted lots of hay.
I didn't realize a little skirt around the bottom would have made that big of a difference

Isomade":5j95htda said:
bigbull338":5j95htda said:
iso you said it,unrolling hay a 1/2 to a 1/3 of the bale is bad advice that i gave.well you maybe right as ive got better sense not to unroll no hay,an waste it like that.but you have people on CT an thats fine because thats the way they like todo things.
Wrong! You have to have enough cows to clean up the unrolled bale and second it depends on the quality of hay being fed. Poor quality hay will be wasted and in such a case it's better to put it in rings. Unrolling the proper amount of good hay leaves very little waste and if stragically unrolled throught the pasture that pasture will soil test much better come spring and require little or no fertilizer.

:nod: Those of us with very little top soil have to look at hay as a pasture amendment.

skyhightree1":1g5iywyj said:

No, I really don't like that one.

Worksaver makes a nice one. Grabs a bale the same way a bale bed on a truck does. Really nice for hauling old hay that's falling apart because you back up to the bale and grab it as opposed to just spearing it and hoping it doesn't fall off when you go through a ditch.

This one would be better to haul from a row of bales. The work saver would have to have the bale out of the row which I guess you could use the front end loader to move the bale to be able to use the work saver.

Cattleman 9.5":3pd8r1yy said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":3pd8r1yy said:

Day 1 - It is dinner

I agree........A cow doesn't have to be eating 24/7, they may want to....just like people, but not necessary IMO.

heath":3q4lw316 said:
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/grd/4275751659.html
you could buy two of these for the price of that spear unroller.
I worked at a ranch that had one of those spear unrollers, and if you did not stick it in the middle it would get the tractor a rockin pretty quick, couldn't have been good on it.

The one I just bought that started all this post! LOL. Anyway, It's a lot like that one just built a lot heavier. I bought it just barely even used as the guys tractor was to small for $650.00. B&G

Kscattle":1lz1ghwf said:
I would just unroll one bale in the morning, maybe 1/2 a bale that night and see how they do. I figure 25lbs per/hd/day. Depends on bale size too. I bought one of those last year, this year I bought a krogman bed, they work great for unrolling straw, corn stalks, hay or carrying deer to the shed!

My eight cows and one bull just ate 500 pounds of wbg and a 4x5 roll in 2 days. And they were hungry the next morning. If that was an 800 pound roll which I think it was probably heavier, that's 90 pounds a day each. Why are they eating so much? they're healthy cows probably 11 1200 pounds each.