Unrolling hay tip and question on older hay

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm good. No one does net here any more. It died with the dinosaurs.

Net is like paint or make up. Most the time people use it to make some thing ugly look good long enough to get some one on the hook. šŸ˜†
wrong...You should look around. Net is not dead in your area.

Last edited:
90% net wrap here. A few custum guys might do string if someone wants it. Older ranchers with old equipment still do string too. I also see 80% of the guys storing hay outside. I really notice a difference in net and string with hay stored outside, especially after the first year. If I have bales I know will be a pain to get the net off we just grab the tail and unwrap it.

Net is like paint or make up. Most the time people use it to make some thing ugly look good long enough to get some one on the hook. šŸ˜†

Most of the time guys use net wrap to save time, fuel, and wear and tear. Also reduce transportation and storage loses.

I custom bale and charge more for twine because it takes a bit longer reducing my efficency.

Most of the time guys use net wrap to save time, fuel, and wear and tear. Also reduce transportation and storage loses.

I custom bale and charge more for twine because it takes a bit longer reducing my efficency.
I'm just saying what I know gets under fence's skin for the most part.

On a serious note, how does net reduce transportation loss?

Not saying it's 100% but net did not catch on here. You will see it more with people selling hay than the avg cattle guy requesting it with a custom baler for their use.

I'm not real sure the actual reason. I've always suspected that most of the hay being moved on dollies and dump trailers played a roll.

... ask fence though. He knows more about my area probably knows better than me. šŸ˜„

I'm just saying what I know gets under fence's skin for the most part.

Not saying it's 100% but net did not catch on here. You will see it more with people selling hay than the avg cattle guy requesting it with a custom baler for their use.

I'm not real sure the actual reason. I've always suspected that most of the hay being moved on dollies and dump trailers played a roll.

... ask fence though. He knows more about my area probably knows better than me. šŸ˜„
Be easy enough to prove I guess. A few phone calls. You wanna make it more than talk ?

That twine is more prominent than net in the coastal bend. You know what you claimed before you started squirming.
I know you want to hang me up on some thing to look cool in front of your fans but that is not going to be it. I talk to most the custom guys in my area fairly often. They are not using wrap.

Besides... the coastal bend is a huge area and is far from "my area". Most the custom guys don't hardly leave their part of the county, much less the entire coastal bend. I have no clue what people do all over the coastal bend.

I know you want to hang me up on some thing to look cool in front of your fans but that is not going to be it. I talk to most the custom guys in my area fairly often. They are not using wrap.

Besides... the coastal bend is a huge area and is far from "my area". Most the custom guys don't hardly leave their part of the county, much less the entire coastal bend. I have no clue what people do all over the coastal bend.
Fair enough. Then we'll just test your immediate area. You game.

Pickup and drop twine wrapped bales on the ground then trailer then ground again and see what chaff and hay is left behind each time. Then follow a load of twine wrapped hay at 60mph and see how much blows off along the way.

Now do the same with net wrapped hay and compare.

Not a huge loss but produce and handle a few thousand bales and that loss can add up.

Pickup and drop twine wrapped bales on the ground then trailer then ground again and see what chaff and hay is left behind each time. Then follow a load of twine wrapped hay at 60mph and see how much blows off along the way.

Now do the same with net wrapped hay and compare.

Not a huge loss but produce and handle a few thousand bales and that loss can add up

I got ya. I don't really try to handle hay that much. LoL

My personal opinion is a good bale is made by the operator. It doesn't matter what you wrap it in. How well that bale holds up and how much is lost is a reflection of how well it was made. That's from dealing with bermudas and Klein. I've seen good and bad bales with both. Most my loss comes from the dirt and the more surface area touching the dirt the more loss we have.

It's a fact that net wrap bales hold up better. Given equal operators, machines, conditions the net wrapped bale will hold up better both to transportation and storage. That is a proven fact backed up by numerous university and industry studies. And its not hard to see why with net wrap the bale has nearly completely covered, with twine you have what 20-30% coverage at best?

Latest posts