Hay tests

Help Support CattleToday:

chukar

Reaction score
So feed dealer thinks I need to keep with at least 20% tubs as we switch from fall feed to full on hay feed. I say with the quality of hay we have a good loose mineral and white salt blocks free choice will do. I know it is their job to sell sell sell.

But we have April and May calvers that are all now dried up. BCS of 6 or better and haired up. Have three types of hay to feed. grass, oat hay, and oat/alf hay. Plan to feed 50/50 grass/oat for first half. Then switch to 50/50 grass-oat/alf through calving and when grass comes on. Feed tests have grass hay at 13.0% CP; oat hay at 8.7% CP; and oat/alf of 11.0%CP. ADF is 34.6, 38.5, and 39.9 respectively. TDN is 63.8, 58.7, and 57.1 respectively.

I don't know much about what all the numbers mean, but since we spent the $ to get them done I figure we might as well use them to see if we really need anything other than hay, mineral, and salt. I know there are people on here that can one explain the numbers, but who are also not on the payroll of the feed mill...

Thanks in advance

If your feeding it to them free choice the hay should be more an enough on dry cows in that BCS. if they were mine I would not feed anything else.

You say free choice on the hay? Heck I can't afford that with hay prices hat they are. Even though I put it up on our place, the stuff we did keep sold for $140/ton for grass, $160 for grain hay, and 190/ton for the oat/alf.

Almost makes a guy want to sell the cows and just sell hay. But what would you do in the winter?

I have 12% cp grass hay . That and PVm tubs is all my cows will get until I start grazing rye grass in February . And calves are starting to hit the ground now . Hay is always cheaper than feed .

chukar":ro93t1d7 said:
You say free choice on the hay? Heck I can't afford that with hay prices hat they are. Even though I put it up on our place, the stuff we did keep sold for $140/ton for grass, $160 for grain hay, and 190/ton for the oat/alf.

Almost makes a guy want to sell the cows and just sell hay. But what would you do in the winter?
I apaolgize, I misread your post. I saw the words "free choice" and thought that was what you were planning on doing. Either way the hay is good enough you don't need anything as long as they get enough of the hay to match their weight. You obviously couldn't limit 1200# cows to 15lbs of hay and expect them to hold condition.

Gotcha. We feed about 35lbs per day, but they have some pickings around if they need some more to chew on.

chukar":s1r1ecy7 said:
Gotcha. We feed about 35lbs per day, but they have some pickings around if they need some more to chew on.
Should be plenty. I certainly wouldn't buy anything now. If they start losing you could put out a couple tubs but If them tests are correct and your cows don't weigh a ton I can't imagine needing anything else on dry cows.

chukar":2hs24hc9 said:
So feed dealer thinks I need to keep with at least 20% tubs as we switch from fall feed to full on hay feed. I say with the quality of hay we have a good loose mineral and white salt blocks free choice will do. I know it is their job to sell sell sell.

But we have April and May calvers that are all now dried up. BCS of 6 or better and haired up. Have three types of hay to feed. grass, oat hay, and oat/alf hay. Plan to feed 50/50 grass/oat for first half. Then switch to 50/50 grass-oat/alf through calving and when grass comes on. Feed tests have grass hay at 13.0% CP; oat hay at 8.7% CP; and oat/alf of 11.0%CP. ADF is 34.6, 38.5, and 39.9 respectively. TDN is 63.8, 58.7, and 57.1 respectively.

I don't know much about what all the numbers mean, but since we spent the $ to get them done I figure we might as well use them to see if we really need anything other than hay, mineral, and salt. I know there are people on here that can one explain the numbers, but who are also not on the payroll of the feed mill...

Thanks in advance
From the figures you provided, your grass hay has the highest feed value. When looking at Acid Detergent Fiber the lower the number the better it is and when looking at Total Digestible Nutrients the higher number the better feed it is.

BC":2abjsshe said:
your grass hay has the highest feed value

That is what I looking at too. The guy who wanted to buy some grass hay didn't believe that the first cutting was that high in protein... said I could only get 6 maybe 8 percent. So he pulled a test from the second cutting of grass that he wanted to buy. That one came back at 14.9% CP; 28.5ADF and 70.6TDN.

chukar":z76l0b93 said:
BC":z76l0b93 said:
your grass hay has the highest feed value

That is what I looking at too. The guy who wanted to buy some grass hay didn't believe that the first cutting was that high in protein... said I could only get 6 maybe 8 percent. So he pulled a test from the second cutting of grass that he wanted to buy. That one came back at 14.9% CP; 28.5ADF and 70.6TDN.
Wish I had hay like that!

I will say I thought that second cutting was some nice hay, and the fall feed that came back was awesome...or so the neighbors cows thought since they got about half of it while we went to Colorado for a week :mad: I don't mind so much since he put up some cash for not minding his fences, but it sure was worth a whole lot more to me stockpiled than he thought it was.

I will say I thought that second cutting was some nice hay, and the fall feed that came back was awesome...or so the neighbors cows thought since they got about half of it while we went to Colorado for a week :mad: I don't mind so much since he put up some cash for not minding his fences, but it sure was worth a whole lot more to me stockpiled than he thought it was.

I reread your post a couple of times and am a bit confused.

You said, "So feed dealer thinks I need to keep with at least 20% tubs as we switch from fall feed to full on hay feed. I say with the quality of hay we have a good loose mineral and white salt blocks free choice will do. I know it is their job to sell sell sell.

Were your cattle getting tubs already or is the dealer saying that you need to start using them.
What is the difference between your fall feed and full feed on hay?

I have had them on 30% tubs through nov-dec while grazing a field of grass stockpiled throughout the summer. But it is all snowed in now so we are feeding hay on top of the snow. With the hay I think they should get along fine without the tubs. ( the hay is much better than the field they were cleaning up). So I say loose mineral, salt, and hay. That is about 2.75/hd/day. The tubs would add another $0.24-0.29/hd/day. If they aren't needed for the cow to perform well, it doesn't make sense to put it out there. No doubt they will eat it if it is available, but that is why I don't go to all you can eat places either.

Latest posts